Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Septic tank charges

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The single measure that would make a big difference would be to permit a Group Sewage Scheme...a la group water. This would pool a single large septic tanks across a number of premises where feasible and dramatically reduce the cost to each.

But no, that would be altogether too intelligent. :(

Again nobody is telling me why I have to pay taxes to upgrade public sewage schemes as well as pay on the double for my own septic tank.

I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE for polluting public schemes and yet I must pay towards their replacement...as a septic tax owning taxpayer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭wiseguy

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The single measure that would make a big difference would be to permit a Group Sewage Scheme...a la group water. This would pool a single large septic tanks across a number of premises where feasible and dramatically reduce the cost to each.

Thats a good idea there, there's 7 houses within 100 meter radius of mine, all could feed to same treatment plant with minimal works (they already had to dig up the road to put group water scheme and pump anyways)

And of course some of us already help out each other by sharing internet.

Mind you there are hundreds of sheep, cows and horses in fields all around (hey those city folk get their "organic" food from somewhere right :) ) which continue to poop on ground (fertilising it) and farting (adding to global warming)
    I cant wait for some greenie genius to invent a pipe to stick up an animals rear in order to save the environment from very polluting methane farts :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

wiseguy wrote: »
    But one already has to pay ~170 euro a year inspection charge to ensure that treatment plant is working properly.

Thats like doing an DOE/MOT on a van/car twice (and paying for it twice)
    This is a fair point. If someone is paying for an authorised person to service the unit annually, that authorised person should be able to sign off on it, similar to gas appliance inspections.

Not sure if there's an equivalent of RECI or Board Gais Approved Installers for septic tanks, but one would think there should be.

murphaph wrote: »
    This is a fair point. If someone is paying for an authorised person to service the unit annually, that authorised person should be able to sign off on it, similar to gas appliance inspections.

Not sure if there's an equivalent of RECI or Board Gais Approved Installers for septic tanks, but one would think there should be.

From what the installer and inspector told me (Kingspan Environmental) in some areas the person has to have an annual inspection contract and in return they get a cert of inspection which they have to show to council.
    This could be in NI I am not sure of details, ill ask next time.

What I am afraid of is being slapped on with another tax that makes little sense and might actually be counter-productive to what its "stated" aims are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Or how about using something called a waste treatment plant :rolleyes:
    Do waste treatment plants resurface sparsely populated roads? Do they pay for the portion of school bus schemes that parents don't have to pay? Do they subsidise the many other services that are not economical to provide?

Or am I mistaken and by "waste treatment plant" you mean people in cities and towns that subsidise the living standards of others.

• Advertisement

Interesting. This and other posts Ive seen by you make me believe you are either anti-rural
    The only thing I oppose is subsidising other people's lifestyles.

n97 mini wrote: »
    Do waste treatment plants resurface sparsely populated roads?.

Motor tax already brings in more than is spend on maintenance and building of roads. Check motoring and infrastructure forum for stats.

Do they pay for the portion of school bus schemes that parents don't have to pay? Do they subsidise the many other services that are not economical to provide?

If a service is not economical then dont provide it!

You are the bigger fool if you think than waste taxes would go towards services you outlined and not be paid out to banks, public service wages+salaries and inflated welfare state.

Or am I mistaken and by "waste treatment plant" you mean people in cities and towns that subsidise the living standards of others.

Provide proof that waste treatment systems in rural locations produce more environmental damage than the same system in towns (thats if a town has one!)

It is very likely that I am the one subsidising your lifestyle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Solidchrome

Ah. You are anti-people, that explains it.

You didnt answer my question about whether you are employed by the government or not because that would explain alot also.

It is very likely that I am the one subsidising your lifestyle.
    Explain please.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

It was Éamon de Valera’s dotty vision, in 1943, that Ireland would have a countryside “bright with cosy homesteads”. But now it is littered with them.

Are there more homesteads than in de Valera’s day? There are more cosy, for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

MOD COMMENT:
    Be advised that recent posting on this thread has been reported. Some posters are getting too personal, or asking questions that are too personal. Please focus on making contributions to the thread topic, and not each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

There's no urban-rural divide, but the government would like there to be as it's a nice distraction tactic. There'll be a water charging system brought in, but rural folks will probably avoid that because they have their own well. Can't have that. However, the people who have their own well probably have a septic tank and can be made pay for that. Woo hoo, money from everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭bbsrs

There's no urban-rural divide, but the government would like there to be as it's a nice distraction tactic. There'll be a water charging system brought in, but rural folks will probably avoid that because they have their own well. Can't have that. However, the people who have their own well probably have a septic tank and can be made pay for that. Woo hoo, money from everyone!

I'd gladly swop my well for a public scheme if it was available .Mine cost €3500 to to bore plus €800 for a pump , then €3000 for water treatment system plus €200 for testing and it must be serviced once a year at €180 per service plus €16 every month for salt to soften the water so I'll pay for the water I use if the government pay for treating and maintenance.

The big bonus for me is there is no flouride in my water unlike most public water in this country.
    http://www.eutimes.net/2011/06/eu-ambassadors-in-ireland-warned-that-tap-water-is-not-safe-for-baby-bottles/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Thats a good idea there, there's 7 houses within 100 meter radius of mine, all could feed to same treatment plant with minimal works (they already had to dig up the road to put group water scheme and pump anyways)

And of course some of us already help out each other by sharing internet.

But Hogan wont let us is the problem. :-(

bbsrs wrote: »
    I'd gladly swop my well for a public scheme if it was available .Mine cost €3500 to to bore plus €800 for a pump , then €3000 for water treatment system plus €200 for testing and it must be serviced once a year at €180 per service plus €16 every month for salt to soften the water so I'll pay for the water I use if the government pay for treating and maintenance.
    You could have built a house near an existing water supply.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda. Fact remains that you need only to go half a mile from a town center in Ireland and you have no public water service and no public sewage system. This country is so retarded when it comes to public services its almost third world. Even the pavements end half a mile from the town center where I live.

Regards
    solidchrome

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭chieftan65

HA HA HA.... Did you actually just say that?? what age are you???

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Coulda, woulda, shoulda. Fact remains that you need only to go half a mile from a town center in Ireland and you have no public water service and no public sewage system. This country is so retarded when it comes to public services its almost third world. Even the pavements end half a mile from the town center where I live.

Regards
    solidchrome

Half a mile from a village centre. Any actual proper towns will have more than half a mile from their centre serviced.

That we have undersized villages where we should have towns is yet another symptom of the one-off housing blight.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Misleading.

Septic tanks are not a pollution source otherwise septic tanks wouldnt be allowed to be installed.

Failed septic tanks are a pollution source.

cordially,
    solidchrome

Fair point, but you'll see I earlier referred to septic tanks as potential pollution sources - hence an inspect and remedy regime.

cordially yourself,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭azzie

Septic tanks are inspected everywhere else in Europe - and householders have to pay for the inspection AND to then bring the system up to standard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Regards
    solidchrome
    How far out into the countryside do you think mains water and sewage pipes should be run?

azzie wrote: »
    Septic tanks are inspected everywhere else in Europe - and householders have to pay for the inspection AND to then bring the system up to standard.

Just because its done in other European countries, doesnt mean its right. If you were mugged in Germany would you go and complain or would you shrug your shoulders and say "Ah well, it happens in other European countries so it must be all right"?
    murphaph wrote: »
    How far out into the countryside do you think mains water and sewage pipes should be run?

More than half a mile would be reasonable but as I dont have a career in laying water pipes maybe someone with experience could answer that.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭bbsrs

Correct, I could have, anyways with regards to water, I'm quiet happy to pay for my decisions but to be charged rates for a service I completely installed and maintain myself doesn't seem fair to me .

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Dai John

Question; If you fit a macerator between the house and tank,and then filter the waste would it help ?

MYOB wrote: »
    Half a mile from a village centre. Any actual proper towns will have more than half a mile from their centre serviced.

That we have undersized villages where we should have towns is yet another symptom of the one-off housing blight.

No, I live near a town. If I lived by a village I would have said that.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

No, I live near a town. If I lived by a village I would have said that.

I suspect its actually a village in the eyes everyone but those who live there.

People in Ireland seem to assume that having a SuperValu and a secondary school makes their village a "town"

I suspect its actually a village in the eyes everyone but those who live there.

People in Ireland seem to assume that having a SuperValu and a secondary school makes their village a "town"

Even if it is a village you should still have basic water/sewage service more than half a mile from its centre. This country is retarded in that aspect.

Even if it is a village you should still have basic water/sewage service more than half a mile from its centre. This country is retarded in that aspect.

Half a mile from the centre of a village should be open countryside.

Half a mile from the centre of a village should be open countryside.

So you are saying that not having a basic water/sewage system half a mile outside a village is acceptable in the 21st century? I says it not and its retarded.

• Advertisement

So you are saying that not having a basic water/sewage system half a mile outside a village is acceptable in the 21st century? I says it not and its retarded.

Its not normal to provide services to emptiness.

Advertisement