Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭cdsb46

this whole passport card, will it be using up resources that will cause delays in the normal passport applications ?

Doubt it, with the embargo lifted there have been a lot of CO recruitment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sebcity

Anyone having issues taking the photo with the app? It keeps telling me to retake as the light is too low. I would be in the brightest room with lights blazing at me and it says the same

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

this whole passport card, will it be using up resources that will cause delays in the normal passport applications ?
    the current procedure for passport renewal is MUCH to cumbersome, so if the new procedure of using an app on the phone to make the application for a card is successful, you would hope that new streamlined procedure would be extended to regular passport renewals.

and if that happens then you'd be taking pressure off the passport office not adding to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Mine is up in June next year and I was planning on renewing it sometime between February and April. Is this a good time? It's a renewal with a name change to my married name.

Remember to submit your original marriage cert, not a photocopy.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

cdsb46 wrote: »
    I would advice go slightly earlier maybe between jan and feb, this year things started to get busy again around the end of feb
    Thanks. I'll keep that in mind. I doubt I'll be in any rush for it but I figure it's better to stay away from peak times so those who actually need a new passport in those times have a better chance of getting them quickly.
    Remember to submit your original marriage cert, not a photocopy.

Thanks. I probably would have sent a photocopy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Here's something else weird about these passport card applications..

I applied for one each in respect of myself and my wife. Both of us resident in the UK. I applied for mine first, using the iOS app, and was charged €40 (€35 fee + €5 for international postage), as expected. A few minutes later I did my wife's application on the computer, only this time I was charged only €35.

I'm sure the system's not intelligent enough to know that this second application is going to the same address as a recent application, so let's put both in the same envelope and charge these lads only one lot of postage.. more likely a glitch and international applications on the website aren't, for some reason, being charged the €5 postage fee. Or maybe it was just a one-off..

Well, this is curious.. I applied for my passport card before my wife. According to the tracking both applications sat in the queue for printing for a few days, now my wife's has been dispatched while mine is still in the queue. How did my wife get to jump the queue?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,536 ✭✭✭Zardoz

fxotoole wrote: »
    Cork don't have the infrastructure to produce a passport within 3 working days. Therefore Rapid Renewals are only available at the Dublin office.

Buddy went into Cork office Monday afternoon and collected his passport yesterday morning.
    He isnt travelling for another week though but strange that he got it so quickly,he only paid 95 euro as well as it wasnt due for collection until next Thursday.

Zardoz wrote: »
    Buddy went into Cork office Monday afternoon and collected his passport yesterday morning.
    He isnt travelling for another week though but strange that he got it so quickly,he only paid 95 euro as well as it wasnt due for collection until next Thursday.

I've a had a passport ready in two working days from Cork too. It was about 3 years ago though, things may have changed since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 brayshizzle

Well, this is curious.. I applied for my passport card before my wife. According to the tracking both applications sat in the queue for printing for a few days, now my wife's has been dispatched while mine is still in the queue. How did my wife get to jump the queue?!

how long from beginning of application to being dispatched did that take?

how long from beginning of application to being dispatched did that take?

Ordered 05/10, dispatched 08/10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 brayshizzle

Ordered 05/10, dispatched 08/10.

wow, great, seems to be a good time to order then. turn around is quick

wow, great, seems to be a good time to order then. turn around is quick

It should be quick to be fair. All they have to do on receipt of application is verify that the photo and name matches what they've already got on file and then hit the send-to-printer button.

It would be even faster and more secure if they just used the photo already on file, bit weird they've not opted for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

It should be quick to be fair. All they have to do on receipt of application is verify that the photo and name matches what they've already got on file and then hit the send-to-printer button.

It would be even faster and more secure if they just used the photo already on file, bit weird they've not opted for this.

Presumably the logic is that if your passport was issued, say, 6 years ago, your image would have changed fairly drastically since 2009, so you are therefore required to submit a new photo.

Is a bit weird and gimmicky that the design team opted for "selfies" rather than using the image they already have on file.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Yuri Checkov

Funny you mentioned pictures on file. I went to my local police station during the week to renew my residency permit, my last picture was taken 5 years ago. They had no problem using the picture held on file for my new card. That said I have not changed in that period of time.

Zardoz wrote: »

He got it so early because it's October. It's the off season now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,175 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

fxotoole wrote: »
    Presumably the logic is that if your passport was issued, say, 6 years ago, your image would have changed fairly drastically since 2009, so you are therefore required to submit a new photo.

Is a bit weird and gimmicky that the design team opted for "selfies" rather than using the image they already have on file.

The passport application insists on a passport photo which is less than 6 months old; the passport card seeks one which is a "current likeness". I have submitted the same photo as my 2 year old passport. If it is rejected, I will be annoyed but unsurprised as there seems to be a significant lack of thought. There is certainly no security check that it is being sent to the same person; the passport office does not have my current address. As I have used a static photo, ie not ASelfie, I, the applicant, could be anyone. That seems like a significant security risk.

Marcusm wrote: »
    The passport application insists on a passport photo which is less than 6 months old; the passport card seeks one which is a "current likeness". I have submitted the same photo as my 2 year old passport. If it is rejected, I will be annoyed but unsurprised as there seems to be a significant lack of thought. There is certainly no security check that it is being sent to the same person; the passport office does not have my current address. As I have used a static photo, ie not ASelfie, I, the applicant, could be anyone. That seems like a significant security risk.

I'd imagine a person will compare the photos submitted for the card with your APS passport (you have to give your most recent passport number so they can look at your passport photo). Passport service will also be rolling out facial recognition technology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

I take it non passport office people are processing the cards?

Not that I've heard. I can't imagine external parties being given access to the APS system. The union would be going mad as well.

No. Passport Office staff are processing the passport cards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

All they have to do is get it on their twitter account.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Received my new passport card on Friday,

thats a decent turn around from application to delivery!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,308 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

sebcity wrote: »
    Anyone having issues taking the photo with the app? It keeps telling me to retake as the light is too low. I would be in the brightest room with lights blazing at me and it says the same

+1 Same here. Indoors, outdoors, the app just won't accept the photo. I've tried an iPad2 and Android phone so it's not the device. Just seems to be very picky about what it considers acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

coylemj wrote: »
    +1 Same here. Indoors, outdoors, the app just won't accept the photo. I've tried an iPad2 and Android phone so it's not the device. Just seems to be very picky about what it considers acceptable.

I had to try abut 5 or 6 times - seems like the "whiteness" of the white background is more important than the lighting.

Maybe try taking the selfie in a photo booth if you're passing one. I'm going to try that later.

Maybe try taking the selfie in a photo booth if you're passing one. I'm going to try that later.

I've just tried that at lunch time and the app accepted the photo on the first attempt.

It's most likely down to the colour of the light not being "white enough", or the light not being distributed evenly enough, and therefore creating shadows on your face.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,175 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Isn't official Ireland odd; obtaining a driving licence now requires a trip to a special NDLS centre as photo booths and photographers photos are no longer acceptable whereas DFA is now promoting the use of selfies.

• Advertisement

NDLS is run by SGS international, they don't use a very sophisticated system there. The passport system is a lot better and its a huge database, almost everything sent in is scanned and saved for fraud prevention.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement