Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2014 Cooking Club Week 11: Sea Bass with Lime, Chilli & Ginger

• 21-03-2014 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

Sea Bass with Lime, Chilli & Ginger

My recipe is a slight adapted recipe that I got on a course in Ballyknocken Cookery School. Until I made it, I would have been a very reluctant/scared cooker of fish (lots of disasters :o), but it's super easy and really tasty – and I've used the recipe on other fish (e.g. Hake & Cod) successfully since too. It also introduced me to Pac Choi, which is now a staple in my house.

The recipe was originally suggested as a starter – but it's usually part of a mains at my house.

For 4 people:

4 x fillets of Sea Bass

Sea Bass rub:

Zest of a lime
    ¼ tsp ground Cumin (my OH isn't a fan of Cumin so I halved the original recipe - add more according to taste)
    ½ tsp ground Coriander
    Salt, Pepper

Mix all together and rub all over the Sea Bass.

Grated fresh Ginger – say 2 – 4 cm – again according to taste.
    2 crushed Garlic cloves
    1 red Chilli, seeds removed, thinly sliced
    3-6 Scallions, sliced
    2 Pac Choi, roughly chopped
    2 tbsp Soy Sauce
    Pine nuts – roasted (or fry off in a hot non-stick pan until golden brown)
    Glug of Oil to fry – I use a tasteless coconut, sun-flour or rapeseed would work too, just one that hasn't a strong flavour.

1. Heat a frying pan with the oil, fry fish, one or two at a time, skin side down for c . 4 min or until skin is crisp & golden. Then carefully turn over and fry for another 30 seconds. Place on a warm plate, and cover.
    2. Turn down the heat a little, add a little more oil to the pan if necessary and gently fry the ginger, garlic, chilli and scallions for about 2 minutes. Add the pac choi – and fry for another minute. Add soy sauce – and fry for a final 30 seconds.
    3. Portion the Pac Choi on plates, and gently place the Sea Bass on top.
    4. Sprinkle with the pine nuts

6krEQ5.png

I like to serve it with buttered baby potatoes.

Hope you enjoy :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Larry Bee

Looks great - thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭certifiedcrepe

That looks gorgeous! Definitely going to try this next week. Thanks OP :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Thanks juke, looks lovely.
    Loire.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,020 ✭✭✭applehunter

My favourite fish.:)

Brings a bit of balance to the Cooking Club menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

My favourite fish.:)

Brings a bit of balance to the Cooking Club menu.

I'm pretty useless when it comes to cooking fish, but if I'm in a restaurant, it would normally be a top choice.

I suspect there are plenty others like me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

This is yummy. Im a big seafood fan and i love this recipe. Pak choi is now a firm favourite in my house too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

juke wrote: »
    I'm pretty useless when it comes to cooking fish, but if I'm in a restaurant, it would normally be a top choice.

I suspect there are plenty others like me.

ME! I almost always order fish when I eat out but hesitate to pan-fry for fear of a lingering smell! I'll have to give this a go though, it looks lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 BLUEOAK

Love fish so had to make this at the weekend and it was delicious. Fish shop did not have sea bass so made it with Hake. First time trying pac choi too. Had sweet potato chip with it - which was ok. Sorry forgot to take a pic - but it was green (pac choi) white (hake) and gold ( sweet potato) very St Patrick day ish! Thanks OP - very yummy it a keeper for me .

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Donadea Leo

This was beautiful. Most successful attempt at fresh fish. No pak choi in shop so used spinach as substitute, delicious recipe thanks.

BLUEOAK wrote: »
    Love fish so had to make this at the weekend and it was delicious. Fish shop did not have sea bass so made it with Hake. First time trying pac choi too. Had sweet potato chip with it - which was ok. Sorry forgot to take a pic - but it was green (pac choi) white (hake) and gold ( sweet potato) very St Patrick day ish! Thanks OP - very yummy it a keeper for me .
    This was beautiful. Most successful attempt at fresh fish. No pak choi in shop so used spinach as substitute, delicious recipe thanks.

Thanks for trying it.

It's back on the menu for me tomorrow night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭maximo31

Cooked this last night. Really enjoyed it and will definitely be making it again.Thanks OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

Probably a silly question, but would you eat the skin on the hake? Bought lovely fillets in Supervalu as they were in offer but unsure as to whether the skin would be nice to eat, like salmon?

Oh yeah - I eat the skin, let it go nice and crispy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

I forgot to post in here after I made it!!

OP, this was beautiful! A great way of using up some of the frozen fish fillets in my freezer! Thanks so much! :)

I forgot to post in here after I made it!!

OP, this was beautiful! A great way of using up some of the frozen fish fillets in my freezer! Thanks so much! :)

:) good to hear, glad you enjoyed!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,527 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Made this last night. Must say I wouldn't have thought of putting "curry" spices on sea bass, but it worked very well. Really nice!

Advertisement