Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

If you could have told your future self something, what would it be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

- It's ok for a girl to contact a guy first.
    - Don't delete peoples phone numbers from your phone
    -Have confidence in yourself, if you don't noone will!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭IsaMtq

To the 16 year old me I’d probably give a bit of a shake and a kick up the arse!
    - Life is not one big party
    - Drink less, don’t smoke
    - Study and pay attention in school
    - People who don’t make you feel good about yourself are not friends
    - Listen to advice but be careful whose you take

And probably lots more……

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Such a cool idea for a thread. :D

- That girl you think you've been friends with since primary school thinks she's better than you. Ditch her fast. And ditch that other one faster.
    - Watch what you're eating, get more exercise or you'll end up hating your body.
    - Study harder for the Leaving, put UCD on your CAO.
    - Your friend is going to need some help but don't go down that same road as her, it'll affect you for a long time.
    - Stop being so bloody shy. Talk to people. They're not going to judge you and think you're an idiot for talking.
    - Stand up to that lecturer
    - Stand up to mam, don't let her bully you into not having a social life in college. You'll regret it and you'll make no friends.
    - There's more to college life than study, have a bit of fun.
    - You are going to meet someone, you'll fall for him so fast and he'll change your life. He'll love you and you'll love him like you never thought possible. But please have more confidence, he'll hate when you put yourself down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

-no ones looking at you and sneering, no one's judging you, people don't instantly dislike you when you meet them. Honestly it's all paranoia & anxiety and when you realise this you are going to be well miffed with yourself for the time you spent so upset over nothing

- you know the way you look at people going off travelling by themselves and get jealous? Eh, you realise you're not tethered here by your leg? You can do that too

- It's ok to have an opinion on things. You aren't stupid & you aren't automatically wrong when someone else thinks differently. Don't be a gossip because you're too shy to have a conversation about anything apart from people you know, it will bite you in the arse

- You will lose weight :) You don't have an underactive thyroid, you're not ''naturally fat", you can drop the lard. But, sorry, you can't ever go back to the old biweekly pizza-and-chip dinner routine. And, you sort of have to exercise at least 5 times a week. Sorry about that!

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭OkayWhatever

To 16 year old me:

- Be brave.
    You know you need to leave, so don't stay one minute longer. (I stayed for another year :mad: !!!!)

-Nobody is allowed to hurt you. No matter who they are.

- Asking for help isn't a bad thing. If you need it, ask.

- People aren't psychic.

- Your mam isn't that evil b*tch that you think she is! In 3 years time she's gonna be your best friend :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

1) You're gay. Like REALLY gay. Tell the folks, they seriously don't care.
    2) Go on more holidays with your Mum. She's not going to be around to see you hit 30.
    3) Don't give up on your sport once you hit college. Trust me, you'll regret it.
    4) Stop beating yourself up for not being spontaneous. You like things in a certain way and that's ok. Give yourself a break.
    5) Fancying the teacher is NOT a good enough reason to choose your college course. :rolleyes: Put down social work, social policy, or something like that. It'll stand to you better.
    6) That New Years of 2004, when you really want to kiss her at the door? Kiss her. It works out great in the end. ;) Yes, she actually fancies you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

it's funny, things I've regretted in the past I no longer regret...I appear to have come full circle on some things!

It's quite a common one but I would tell my younger self that you are not fat, and I would tell my today self the same...why are we so quick to judge ourselves!

I would tell myself to go to a counsellor sooner, it helped, immensely.

Thats about it. Not much regrets tbh, onwards and upwards :)

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jay phelan

Dear 15 year old me..

- Someone is going to come into your life soon and they will sweep you off your feet. Don't listen to what people say because they will make you the happiest person alive.

- SAVE YOUR MONEY!!

- Those ideas your having now will pay off but if you start now (like you want to) you will be where you want to be a lot sooner.

- Don't loose touch with C, you'll regret it for the rest of your life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Finish what you started!!

Travel!!

Stay single!

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭travelledpengy

When you tell the redhead in uni that u need to find a gf with a car... and she replies that she has a car, It means she is into you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

A few things I suppose although if I changed them, things wouldn't be how they are now and I'm quite happy as things are this minute...

- Be nicer to your dad (teens).

- Do a little more study for your LC. It's a feckin' miracle you passed by studying the night before you lazy thing.

- Don't come home from South America

- Don't move to Spain, move back to South America.

- Go easier on yourself. You're grand.

Thing is, if I didn't move here, I wouldn't have met the man I'm with now. Just need a way to convince him to move to South America with me....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

dearg lady wrote: »
    it's funny, things I've regretted in the past I no longer regret...I appear to have come full circle on some things!

It's quite a common one but I would tell my younger self that you are not fat, and I would tell my today self the same...why are we so quick to judge ourselves!

I would tell myself to go to a counsellor sooner, it helped, immensely.

Thats about it. Not much regrets tbh, onwards and upwards :)

Have to say, I don't count anything I've posted here as a regret, anything I've done in my life to counts as a learning curve, one I'll be on till I die. At times obviously there would have been easier ways of doing things.

Just wanted to put this in as I personally think regret is big time wasting, negative hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

2 things.

1) Getting a degree is not the be all and end all. There are other options. Don't just put down what you have on your cao cause your "meant to."

2) Stop worrying about boys! You know that cute boy who works in the shop around the courner from school? The one everyone in your class fancys and calls "hot [insert store name] guy? He's the guy you'll end up marrying one day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭ihsb

Be open to ways to meet new people

Realise that anxiety and depression is not weird

Stand up for yourself

Get out of that very very ****ty situation

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Contessa Raven

To my 16 year old self:

- Try to push through the pain of the bad stuff, you need to focus for the LC. If you can't be stronger you'll fail and need to repeat.

- Let him go. Yes, he's gorgeous. Yes, he's interesting and cool. Yes, he seemed interested but he'll never make up his mind. You're just making yourself look foolish and feel bad. Don't waste 2 years trying to make him see what he's missing. :rolleyes:

- That flakey girl that clung to you one minute and disappeared the next? Ditch her. She's trouble and a liar. The girl your dad warned is "Too nice"? She is. To your face anyway. Run. FAST!

- Don't stress about being single. When you least expect it, you'll meet him and you'll never look back. biggrin.gif

- You are not ugly. You could lose a pounds though. Do it now or you'll regret it later.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I wouldn't give myself a list of dos and don'ts. I was a stubborn so and so and would most likely ignore myself. This is what I would send:

Dear me,

There will be hardship, but hang in there gorgeous, because it all works out.

Me

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dashboard_hula

Stay away from that f*cking credit card. Seriously. Step away.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 92 ✭✭missyb

• Stop worrying about people liking you,the ones that matter already do
    • Do not write those awful messages on the school desks,ugh
    • Be nicer to that girl,yes she can be a bitch but so can you, your better than that and you will regret it later
    • Dont be afraid to stand up for yourself or you will learn the hard way
    • Go for your passion now, stop being afraid, dont wait for your 20's, you are actually good at it
    • The people who tell you you are ugly are lying,stop believing it, you arent ugly, you're perfectly fine the way you are
    • You did great in the LC, so what happened in college? Its not just about the party.
    • Only one of the guys you meet will be actually worth it,your taste in men seriously needs to change or you will come close to a nervous breakdown over some loser, when it does change you will meet "the one":)
    • Hash doesnt agree with you, let it go
    • the eating what you like and not putting on weight phase doesnt last, start exercising now,even a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

If he cheated with you, he'll cheat on you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭ArtOfEscape

Be nicer to E. She needs someone and you'll regret being so harsh later.

Have more fun in college, and don't expect people to seek you out - you have to make the effort!

Excellent TED talk on regrets, if you're interested: http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/en/kathryn_schulz_don_t_regret_regret.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭coco_lola

- Save Money while you have it and don't blow it all!
    - Quit smoking before you get hooked
    - Don't worry about the points you got in the Leaving Cert - even though you didn't get enough to do your first choice, your second choice allowed you to travel to America for a year for free and meet your lifelong best friend :D
    - Never make a decision based on a boy, whether it's cancelling plans on your friends, a job decision, or a decision to not go on a holiday, cause the one who's worth it wouldn't make you feel the need to choose!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

I'd go back to 18:

• Run away from Ze Russian. Far, far away. He will leave you a broken woman.
    • Don't be ashamed of being a metalhead. Metalheads are awesome.
    • Don't waste your time listening to other people's opinions. Yours is the only one that matters.
    • Black is the worst color to get out of your hair so for the love of Chtultu don't dye your hair! You'll regret it for years.
    • Ignore the fat hair fedora wearing Neanderthal sitting at the end of the bar-it's 7 months of your life you won't get back.
    • Hang onto your virginity for dear life!
    • Don't let your mother rule your life. Stand up to her more often.
    • Write more- you are clearly not meant to be a web designer.
    • Draw more- don't drop out of Animation college. It's tough but it'll be rewarding.
    • Don't start drinking- it'll be difficult to stop.
    • Tell your parents you were serious when you said you were bi. Experiement. Seriously, woman- you're young. Boys will hurt you and make you doubt yourself and though you always had that nagging doubt in the back of your mind, realise that you do in fact like women and don't feel you have to spent the rest of your life trapped in a closet of your own making.
    • Save your money- you'll need it when the recession hits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

• Study in school - honestly
    • Study science in uni
    • After uni travel, travel, travel - in fact why bother coming back:confused:
    • Stop being so shy - you are not that different
    • Keep your friends
    • Save
    • That house you want in 2004? DO NOT DO IT!!!!!!!!
    • Play sports and keep fit
    • Eat less
    • DO NOT SMOKE
    • Sleep around - who cares?;):o

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

I was going to say tell my boyfriend that I wanted a small wedding, he is good but not a mindreader but then I would not have my two wonderful children now.

I suppose I would say to my past self when I was having chemo that I will be a mother.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

• Don't let the family stuff distract you from school half way through 5th year when you're practically top of every class, you're going to ace the LC if you apply yourself. Let things get to you and you will f*ck up.
    • Don't stop playing basketball you will miss it
    • Appreciate your friends, encourage them to do the things you want to do on a night out instead of letting them drift just because you don't want to go clubbing.
    • Physiotherapy is not for you, take science, go study science. PLEASE go and study science.
    • Just because you've moved away from your childhood home it doesn't mean you can't see your childhood friends anymore. You saw each other every day ffs, if they don't contact you contact them. They miss you too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

1. Work harder in school. get a great leaving cert.
    2. Learn to drive immediatley.
    3. Don't go out and save all your money to travel.
    4. Eat healthier and it wouldn't be so difficult now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

I'd probably go back to 18:
    • When you let P sweep you off your feet you'll lose all sense of yourself. Get it back QUICK, or you'll lose 4 years of your life before finally becoming strong enough to stuff it to him
    • You'll fall for a broken guy, and that's ok because he was as good to you as he could be. But keep your heart in check because his funeral almost undoes you
    • You're going to learn stuff about yourself that you had no idea was possible. Not all of it is good, but all of it is you. Accept that.
    • It's ok to forgive yourself.
    • It's also ok to think that you're a pretty good person who deserves to be treated well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Babybuff

Hey, I'm your best friend, I'll always be your best friend. everything is going to be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Jamey_29

Sell the house by end of 2007!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I'm 16 and reading this. 99% of the posts say to study for leaving cert. I'm reading this, it makes sense, yet I still can't make myself do the work.

Note to my future self: My bad; I was hoping the world would end in 2012.

Advertisement