Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish (Leaving Cert 2012)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Aontaím go huile is go hiomlán leat :)

I had to google translate that. Fail. :L

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

I'm only preparing:
    Irish language
    Sport/Olympics
    Ireland's need/lack of need for a president
    Poverty

...Am I ****ed? :eek: I managed to get 96/100 using poverty in the mock like, and most years I've been able to fit my titles in somewhere but at the same time a broad amount of essays would be much more useful :(

Patchy~ wrote: »
    I'm only preparing:
    Irish language
    Sport/Olympics
    Ireland's need/lack of need for a president
    Poverty

...Am I ****ed? :eek: I managed to get 96/100 using poverty in the mock like, and most years I've been able to fit my titles in somewhere but at the same time a broad amount of essays would be much more useful :(

Maybe something on young people.
    You can bring young people and the state of ireland today into almost everything. :)

biohaiid wrote: »
    Maybe something on young people.
    You can bring young people and the state of ireland today into almost everything. :)
    What sort of stuff would be best do you think? Something extra for each essay, e.g. their involvement in eliminating poverty/voting/learning Irish, or something new like problems? :)

What sort of stuff would be best do you think? Something extra for each essay, e.g. their involvement in eliminating poverty/voting/learning Irish, or something new like problems? :)
    Well I have one prepared just on young people, eg - drinking, drugs and problems like that, and its pretty easy to fit them into other essays too
    But like your other essays you mentioned you could bring it in just by saying young peoples opinions, and how they're the future and all that.
    Its easy to bring it in in most places so would be handy to have to fill up soem space in June :)

• Advertisement

Cool, I'll find some notes on those then, thank you! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 aisling.pw

Hi, I am an external student. I need some help understanding what I need to do for paper one and paper two. I have the Oral done an dusted....

Am I right in Thinking....
    In paper one....

(A) you have your listening comprehension
    (B) you write your essay/story/newspiece

In Paper two...

(A) You have your leamhthuiscint (You answer all questions on both)
    (B) Pros - (Presuming your doing the pros ainmnithe) You will not have a choice of pros and you will be given one question. (Hence you need to learn them all in case)
    (C) Filiocht - (Presuming your doing the filiocht ainmithe) You will not have a choice of poem and you will be given one question. (Hence, you need to learn them all in case)
    (D) Litriocht Bhreise - If you studied Trial, you answer one question about it and no other.

Thanks

You've got it exactly there. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 daithioc

Olympics has to be a banker like, especially as its so close to here.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

I'm hoping for a debate on something on the Irish language, like it's future, the future of the Gaeltachts or it's necessity as a compulsory subject! Also would be fairly happy with a question on sport (how it's ruined by greed etc.) If anything on politics or the President comes up that's my A1 out the window I'd say :pac:
    Wouldn't mind any of these titles as essays either :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭AllyMcFearless

Faaaar too long for paper 1 and marks are unfairly spread on paper 2. Apart from that, it's alright..I suppose :P

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

what's the deal with the comprehensions. our teacher won't do them or practise them in class but is it true we just have to copy from the text the answers and not bother trying to change?

and what kind of things can come up on q6?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭_pure_mule_

xclw wrote: »
    what's the deal with the comprehensions. our teacher won't do them or practise them in class but is it true we just have to copy from the text the answers and not bother trying to change?

and what kind of things can come up on q6?
    No you don't have to put answers in your own words and question 6 is usually a a question on what genre the text as a whole is.. E.g. Stairiul, greannmhar etc!

I'm just wondering, what do we do if we go into the exam and it says "Biodh na freagrai i d'fhocail fein"? The chief examiner said we dont have to reword them but I'm so paranoid of that happening :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

I'm just wondering, what do we do if we go into the exam and it says "Biodh na freagrai i d'fhocail fein"? The chief examiner said we dont have to reword them but I'm so paranoid of that happening :eek:

Yeah I know I dunno what I will do tbh :( I think that happened for me in the Junior cert.I thought and we were told that we could just copy out of text but on the day it said "Biodh na freagrai i d'fhocail fein" :/

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Ní gá daoibh a bheith buartha. Ma fhéachann tú ar an páipéar samplach níl aon rud ann a deireann go mbeidh orainn na freagraí a scríobh inár bhfocail féin. Tá siúl agam ar aon nós.

Ceard iad na haistí atá sibh ag ullmhú? Níl fonn orm aiste a scríobh faoin spórt ach féachann sé cosúil go mbeidh rud éigin a bhaineann le spórt ar an páipéar.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭grantyrs10

Ní gá daoibh a bheith buartha. Ma fhéachann tú ar an páipéar samplach níl aon rud ann a deireann go mbeidh orainn na freagraí a scríobh inár bhfocail féin. Tá siúl agam ar aon nós.

Ceard iad na haistí atá sibh ag ullmhú? Níl fonn orm aiste a scríobh faoin spórt ach féachann sé cosúil go mbeidh rud éigin a bhaineann le spórt ar an páipéar.

Ceapaim go mbeimid sábhailte má atá aistí ullmhaithe againn maidir le fadhbanna sóisialta -fadhb na ndrugaí,fadhb an alcóil srl ... Beidh mise ag díriú isteach ar athléamh a dhéanamh ar na haistí atá scriobhta agam cheana i rith an chúige bliain agus i mbliana.

Tuigim rud amháin go deimhin.... is é nach dtabharfaidh mise faoi an scéal !!!

Regarding the question on poem asking you to consider the poem under the following headings... With the file part do you just give facts on the poet or do you have to refer to why they wrote the poem?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

David1994 wrote: »
    Regarding the question on poem asking you to consider the poem under the following headings... With the file part do you just give facts on the poet or do you have to refer to why they wrote the poem?? :confused:
    I just gave facts in the mock and I got full marks so I presume that's enough? I hope it wasn't that my marker just didn't have a clue :rolleyes:

I just gave facts in the mock and I got full marks so I presume that's enough? I hope it wasn't that my marker just didn't have a clue :rolleyes:

Yup I just wrote out the thing from the book. How much is everyone writing for paper 2? I'm going with:

Prós - 2/3 Pages
    Filíocht - Half Page on each Title
    Gafa - 5/6 Pages
    Comprehensions- ... Whatever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

I'm going on time, not length.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭treely

So for HL Irish this year, your answers dont have to be in your own words for comprehensions? Are you sure?

Yup I just wrote out the thing from the book. How much is everyone writing for paper 2? I'm going with:

Prós - 2/3 Pages
    Filíocht - Half Page on each Title
    Gafa - 5/6 Pages
    Comprehensions- ... Whatever

I dunno I was probably going to do 2 pages on the Pros,2 and a half pages for A Thig Na Tit Orm and around the half page on each title...

I'd say thats ok :D Though in my mock I made up an answer on Hurlamaboc and barely scraped a page out of it and got 26/30 :P So Id say quality over quantity is definitely more important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭dmca93

Any of you guys think they will leave the obvious sports essay until next year? After looking at past exam papers I've noticed that they tend to put the Olympics (also the Special Olympics) question on the year after they take place.

David1994 wrote: »
    I dunno I was probably going to do 2 pages on the Pros,2 and a half pages for A Thig Na Tit Orm and around the half page on each title...

I'd say thats ok :D Though in my mock I made up an answer on Hurlamaboc and barely scraped a page out of it and got 26/30 :P So Id say quality over quantity is definitely more important.

I got 24 for writing 3 pages "/ The question was about getting an insight into a contemporary household... Which I did but the examiner had written Aoir, Magadh etc. on the side which I didn't really see as relevant but anyway

treely wrote: »
    So for HL Irish this year, your answers dont have to be in your own words for comprehensions? Are you sure?
    Definitely not, my teacher asked the chief examiner in an email and he said so. If that changed there'd be war. :D
    dmca93 wrote: »
    Any of you guys think they will leave the obvious sports essay until next year? After looking at past exam papers I've noticed that they tend to put the Olympics (also the Special Olympics) question on the year after they take place.
    I dunno, why else would teachers do them if thats the case? They might try to be nice with this being the first year of the course...I hope so anyway, sport is one of my essays :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭treely

Definitely not, my teacher asked the chief examiner in an email and he said so. If that changed there'd be war. :D

So you do or dont need them in your own words?:)

You dont need to do it for Q1-5, and I assume thats why theyve made Q6 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

You dont need to do it for Q1-5, and I assume thats why theyve made Q6 :)

And do you know if there is going to be the headings for certain? what headings are they?

• Advertisement

ChemHickey wrote: »
    And do you know if there is going to be the headings for certain? what headings are they?
    What do you mean? As in "what kind of story is this" or something like that?

Advertisement