Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wondering what to do with noisy neighbours

Options
  • 23-02-2014 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

Hi, all day today (Sunday) I've had to listen to my neighbours using an electric sander on their floor it's still ongoing this late in the evening and I'm just wondering who do I have to contact to get something sorted. Tried ringing the Garda they told me it was a council issue, rang an emergency council number and they said to contact the Garda so I'm very confused as to who is right here. Am I screwed? Is there nothing I can do to stop them? I can't actually go in there and ask them to stop because we've had problems with these neighbours before. Thank you.

Edit: Also I live in Bray if that helps at all.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Hi, all day today (Sunday) I've had to listen to my neighbours using an electric sander on their floor it's still ongoing this late in the evening and I'm just wondering who do I have to contact to get something sorted. Tried ringing the Garda they told me it was a council issue, rang an emergency council number and they said to contact the Garda so I'm very confused as to who is right here. Am I screwed? Is there nothing I can do to stop them? I can't actually go in there and ask them to stop because we've had problems with these neighbours before. Thank you.

Edit: Also I live in Bray if that helps at all.

Well, to be honest the best person to ask is your neighbour.

It is the weekend, the time of DIY.
    the sander may well be rented & they want to get as much put of it as a days hire will give.

Nut-up & ask them when they reckon they will be finished, cos after a day of listening to it I'm sure they are keen to relax also.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭insomniac86

Well, to be honest the best person to ask is your neighbour.

It is the weekend, the time of DIY.
    the sander may well be rented & they want to get as much put of it as a days hire will give.

Nut-up & ask them when they reckon they will be finished, cos after a day of listening to it I'm sure they are keen to relax also.

This has gone on since yesterday. And the weekend being "the time of DIY" is no excuse for going on till 9 at night. Other neighbours were giving out to them too and nothing changed so nutting up as you said isn't really the advice I'm looking for, I'd rather it go through an official channel because these aren't the type of people that can be spoken to by the likes of me or any other resident in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

The short version is . . . there is no official channel in any useful or meaningful sense if your main requirement is to get them to stop sanding in the short term.

The best way to look at this is that unless they live in a Tardis then they will eventually run out of boards to sand. It can't go on more than a few days.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

This has gone on since yesterday. And the weekend being "the time of DIY" is no excuse for going on till 9 at night.
    If it's only going on for a day, then I really don't see what the big deal is? Sometimes people need to get things done and the weekend is really the only option. And 9pm really isn't late at all. If you've been in all weekend, fair enough, I can understand that you'd be getting irritated, but as has already been said, I'm sure your neighbours would probably rather be doing something other than sanding all weekend - I really doubt they're trying to piss you off.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 envaction

Yeah, I mean they just won't stop on their own so you'll have to ask them to just stop. I know that many people will be okay if you just tell them that you aren't okay with it. And they might try to hurry up, or they will be more quite if it's possible. I just think that if you don't say anything, then they won't care and keep on going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

envaction wrote: »
    Yeah, I mean they just won't stop on their own so you'll have to ask them to just stop. I know that many people will be okay if you just tell them that you aren't okay with it. And they might try to hurry up, or they will be more quite if it's possible. I just think that if you don't say anything, then they won't care and keep on going.
    Please stop dragging up old threads, unless you've got something genuinely worthwhile to contribute.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement