Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Knitting - help and advice super thread!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 gruenchen

Me and a few friends just started a little artsy crafty club, mainly knitting and we kinda reached our skill limit for know, I was wondering if there are any knitting groups meeting in Dublin, preferably around the city centre or if anyone would be interested to start something, I am sure some cafe's and pub's would be delighted to give us shelter :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

Hi all, novice knitter here! I've knitted a baby blanket in "little shell" stitch but I think it needs finishing with a lacy edging. I got an easy enough pattern but just tried a bit and am not sure it works. (See attached photos) Would I be better with a more rounded type lacy border? Would love any suggestions :)

Hi all, novice knitter here! I've knitted a baby blanket in "little shell" stitch but I think it needs finishing with a lacy edging. I got an easy enough pattern but just tried a bit and am not sure it works. (See attached photos) Would I be better with a more rounded type lacy border? Would love any suggestions :)

Sorry don't think I added photo!

I found this on Google Books 50 Fabulous Knit Borders just in case it's of use to anyone else. Going to try out the "Dancing Daggers" one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Kloecor

I found this on Google Books 50 Fabulous Knit Borders just in case it's of use to anyone else. Going to try out the "Dancing Daggers" one.

Oooooo I love this! Thanks for sharing :D Can't wait to try some out :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Has anyone on here knitted anything for their animal friends?

How cute are these?....

tumblr_lxxbpmhFhI1r9k96so1_500.jpg

il_fullxfull.299374217.jpg

I'd say the bald cat loves his jumper!

I'd say the bald cat loves his jumper!

He must freeze without it the poor thing haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

Sorry don't think I added photo!

This looks absolutely beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

i think its lovely as is, what have you decided to do?

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone, I actually decided to do the Dancing Daggers edging from the book I posted earlier. It's a bit smaller and quicker to do than the one in the photo and I think it sits a bit better. I have some little silk roses to put on it and some ribbon too when it's finished, just need to decide on the placement of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

Lovely, I might try the cabled elegence myself some time :)
    Thanks again for posting the book - its great

Thanks everyone, I actually decided to do the Dancing Daggers edging from the book I posted earlier. It's a bit smaller and quicker to do than the one in the photo and I think it sits a bit better. I have some little silk roses to put on it and some ribbon too when it's finished, just need to decide on the placement of those.

I would love to see a picture when it is finished.:)

cofy wrote: »
    I would love to see a picture when it is finished.:)

Me too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 jm21

I was wondering would anyone know where I can a) buy a knitting machine, b) whats the best to buy for a begineer and c) where could I get lessons to be able to use it properly.
    I'm based in Kildare, any help would be really appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I bought mine second hand on the buy and sell a long time ago. It came with instructions and I used youtube to work out how to do anything else with it.

Most fashion courses would include knitting, ie mallow, Limerick senior college, LSAD, NCAD.

jm21 wrote: »
    I was wondering would anyone know where I can a) buy a knitting machine, b) whats the best to buy for a begineer and c) where could I get lessons to be able to use it properly.

I enquired about knitting machines in Lenas in Limerick, they organise courses on using the knitting machine. Have you asked in any of your local shops?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

jm21 wrote: »

a) check irish advertisements websites regularly, such as adverts.ie, donedeal.ie, etc. ebay is also an option - there's plenty machines for sale in uk, but be prepared to pay higher shipping cost.
    b) don't waste your money buying a "beginner" machine - buy proper straight away. "Beginner" machines would most likely be poorly made, they can do very little patterning - just knit plain stockinette - how boring is that, and are unreliable in general.
    Brother punch card machines are very good and although most of them are over 20years old now there's still loads of reasonably priced spare parts available. Look for one of KH8xx series, buy double bed if possible, i.e. machine and a ribber combo - buying together is usually cheaper.
    c) lessons are optional really. the manuals that come with the machine are very well written. I've learned most basics from them and there's also youtube, look for Diana Sullivan videos - she's brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭duckling10

I agree with j@utis, just to add my tuppence worth.
    1. be aware when you buy a machine that people selling them think they are a lot more valuable than they really are, unless it is a newer type of machine with electronics etc. The old machines are not being made anymore and parts are not always readily available in Ireland. UK yes, but not Ireland so much.
    2. sellers are not always the people who used the machine, so the claims that the machine is working and all parts are present and correct are not necessarily true. I found the www.ravelry.com website excellent, as I joined the Machine Knitting forum there and read their notes about buying a secondhand machine, what to look for etc. Excellent group of people across the world who can tell you from a photo what model a machine is, and what bits are present or possibly absent.
    3. All older machines and potentially all secondhand machines will need a new Sponge Bar straight away, if you knit without changing the sponge bar you run the risk of bending and breaking needles. I am lucky enough to be based in Limerick and there is a man who services knitting machines and sewing machines in Shannon, God Bless Him!!! reminds me, I better make a trip back to him soon, with my second machine...
    4. Manuals can often be got as free downloads online. If you get a machine without a manual either go ask at Ravelry or ask me about it.

Good luck!

ps I have the name and number of the man in Shannon if anyone needs help with a machine, he has done this kind of work all his life!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

duckling10 wrote: »
    ps I have the name and number of the man in Shannon if anyone needs help with a machine, he has done this kind of work all his life!

Yes please duckling! Not sure exactly what I'll need him for yet, but was just GIVEN (very kindly) an old 70's knitmaster 328 and there's rust, perished rubber and i'm sure from what you say that the, eh, sponge (?!didn't know it had one?!) needs changing. However, it still knits, even with rusty needles. I'm a total beginner and am working through the manual that's with it.

It's gas actually - I think it's been translated from Japanese, but honest to god, how anyone learned from it in the days before internet I'll never know! I've followed the manual to the letter as far as I can tell but can't seem to get the punch cards working. Fixed in yes, threaded up the tackle yes, knits fine but no pattern. Am about to see if youtube is any help.

It's great fun though! I'm mad about my new hobby already :)

Ooooohhhh, ok. Memory drums. That's what they're for. I love youtube - the manual hasn't even got an overall picture with arrows and nametags so you can see what all the bits are called! (I mean, what does a magic cam look like?! I've seen it mentioned but I can't find a picture)

Anyhow - may need a good few old parts for this machine, so whenever you can get round to the ph no duckling, I'd appreciate it!

Hi Obliq,
    I sent you the name and number in a pm, i just don't want to put his mobile number in an open forum.
    I am glad you have a machine and are getting on with it ok,
    do try to check the sponge bar, if you look on you tube for change the sponge bar , you should find a tutorial on how to check it to see what condition it is in.
    youtube and ravelry are great free resources for questions and advice and tutorials, etc,
    good luck with the knitting!

Hi Obliq,
    I sent you the name and number in a pm, i just don't want to put his mobile number in an open forum.
    I am glad you have a machine and are getting on with it ok,
    do try to check the sponge bar, if you look on you tube for change the sponge bar , you should find a tutorial on how to check it to see what condition it is in.
    youtube and ravelry are great free resources for questions and advice and tutorials, etc,
    good luck with the knitting!

Thanks a mill ducking! Got your PM, yes will look up "check sponge bar" tomorrow! Also, how to scrub rust off of needles could be useful....sigh ;) Talk soon - thanks so much for the great advice :D:cool:

If yours looks anything like this:

http://media.okidoker.com/data02/c/2/1/3/113526/684964/1639375_2.jpg?updated=0

Yours is mostly the same as mine, ask away if you want to know how to do anything.

Q for the hand knitters, how do you handle floats and tension in coloured knitting? I'm knitting a elmo pic as part of a kids sweater and it keeps getting too tight where there are loads of colour changes. Also I have holes where I switch colours. I am twisting each strand and no float is longer than 5 stitches.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    If yours looks anything like this:

http://media.okidoker.com/data02/c/2/1/3/113526/684964/1639375_2.jpg?updated=0

Yours is mostly the same as mine, ask away if you want to know how to do anything.

Q for the hand knitters, how do you handle floats and tension in coloured knitting? I'm knitting a elmo pic as part of a kids sweater and it keeps getting too tight where there are loads of colour changes. Also I have holes where I switch colours. I am twisting each strand and no float is longer than 5 stitches.

Thanks! Yeah, that's the exact same one! Sounds like you're really good at it tho.....I'm only trying different weights of yarn at the mo, and seemingly it only likes 4ply at all. Hmm. Must be doing it wrong. Back to youtube!!

I'll be in touch if I get stuck folks, thanks for the kind offers of help :) All the best!

All older machines and potentially all secondhand machines will need a new Sponge Bar straight away, if you knit without changing the sponge bar you run the risk of bending and breaking needles.

Wayhaay! You're so right. Bent a needle yesterday (alongside all the dropped stitches in wool that the machine doesn't approve of - acrylic is still going grand - wool, no), checked "sponge bar" and discovered the shriveled remains of what was supposed to be sponge-like stuff. Thanks for the tip, that was really useful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Hi guys,
    The idea recently crept into my head and I've since become interested in learning how to knit.
    I figured it would be handy for custom made gifts as well as custom clothing and could be a fun hobby too.

Does anyone have any tips on how to get started, what to buy, what websites to learn from?
    Also could anybody give me a brief explanation bout different needle sizes and yarn materials and their different uses/advantages/disadvantages etc.

How long would it take to become a competent knitter, how long would it take someone to knit something large like a jumper or teddy bear, how much yarn do you use(length, cost?) knitting something large like that?

Also, when and why do people begin to use machines instead?

One final thing is what is crochet?

Thanks so much for your replies :)

Eathrin wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    The idea recently crept into my head and I've since become interested in learning how to knit.
    I figured it would be handy for custom made gifts as well as custom clothing and could be a fun hobby too.

Does anyone have any tips on how to get started, what to buy, what websites to learn from?

Youtube, def!! Or try your local library or parish hall for a knitting club.

Also could anybody give me a brief explanation bout different needle sizes and yarn materials and their different uses/advantages/disadvantages etc.

Thick yarn = bigger needle, most common pair are size 4mm needles and double knitting yarn for toys or baby hats etc. Size 6mm and chunky yarn for woman's sweater, 10mm needles and super chunky yarn for scarf.

How long would it take to become a competent knitter, how long would it take someone to knit something large like a jumper or teddy bear, how much yarn do you use(length, cost?) knitting something large like that?

I say, always be making something or you'll get bored, so try a hairband first then move on to scarf etc. Learn a new thing every time you try something new. Best to master knitting a baby sweater and use this to master a woman's sweater.

Also, when and why do people begin to use machines instead?

I find knitting large plain pieces like the back of a cardigan really boring so I use a machine for bigger items.

One final thing is what is crochet?

Making a stiff fabric with one needle, a crochet needle.
    Thanks so much for your replies :)

• Advertisement

Obliq wrote: »
    Thanks! Yeah, that's the exact same one! Sounds like you're really good at it tho.....I'm only trying different weights of yarn at the mo, and seemingly it only likes 4ply at all. Hmm. Must be doing it wrong. Back to youtube!!

I'll be in touch if I get stuck folks, thanks for the kind offers of help :) All the best!

Not really, I did a small module on machine knitting in college, but thats it. The rest was youtube or the manual.

You probably have a small gauge machine, meaning it's for 1 to 4 ply.

Try casting on on ever second needle for thicker yarns. I can use chunky if I cast on every 3rd needle.

Advertisement