Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sign of the times

Options
  • 10-07-2009 8:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

FOREWARNED: The 'poor-mouth' excuse is about to become the norm. Wicklow County Council are refusing to replace their 'welcome to Wicklow' signs on the N11. They claim this is because of cutbacks. The signs were removed last year. Only naked poles remain.

You can enter Wicklow on any route and be totally unaware you've entered and left a pretty sizeable and vitally important Irish tourist county.

What an absolute joke! Question is: how much of the allocation goes on salaries and pensions? Laughable as the roads staff are all on a work to rule - 1970s style. No work is done pro-actively.

Added to the fiasco, they are building the Wicklow town port relief (road to nowhere) road that has sucked dry the non-national road budget.

Take a trip on the arteries of Wicklow (back roads) and count the potholes, dangerous bends, MANGLED and filthy roadsigns and triffid like hedgerows.

My invite! Shame on Wicklow County Council!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

NFD100 wrote: »
    They claim this is because of cutbacks. The signs were removed last year.

Any idea why they were taken down in the first place?

And on the N11 you still have the 42 53 people died on Wicklow roads this year so you know you entered it, don't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

NFD100 wrote: »
    FOREWARNED: The 'poor-mouth' excuse is about to become the norm. Wicklow County Council are refusing to replace their 'welcome to Wicklow' signs on the N11. They claim this is because of cutbacks. The signs were removed last year. Only naked poles remain.

You can enter Wicklow on any route and be totally unaware you've entered and left a pretty sizeable and vitally important Irish tourist county.

What an absolute joke! Question is: how much of the allocation goes on salaries and pensions? Laughable as the roads staff are all on a work to rule - 1970s style. No work is done pro-actively.

Added to the fiasco, they are building the Wicklow town port relief (road to nowhere) road that has sucked dry the non-national road budget.

Take a trip on the arteries of Wicklow (back roads) and count the potholes, dangerous bends, MANGLED and filthy roadsigns and triffid like hedgerows.

My invite! Shame on Wicklow County Council!!

Road signs are made off shop privately nowadays. I know a guy who is a sign writer and it would surprise people how much road signs cost, they have a tendency to be nicked by people and more recently they are prone to graffitti.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

I've noticed this throught out the country. The M8, is yet to get a welcome to Limerick and Cork (North and South Bount) and welcome to Tipp (North bound).

Elsewhere, Meath seem not like the idea of putting these signs in at all, namely on its two primary routes, the N3 and N2.

I know they are low down on importance, but as a country we put a lot of our pride in our counties. It would be no harm to show this off.

Advertisement