Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Future toll barriers on Irish roads?

• 06-12-2008 6:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭

Now that the M50 toll barriers have been removed, does that pave the way for change in present toll barriers and future toll schemes?
    e.g. Are there going to be barriers up when the M7/M8 is complete? How's about the M3 tolls? Upgrading the present M1 and M4 toll so there will be no physical barriers.

Comments

Niall F wrote: »
    Now that the M50 toll barriers have been removed, does that pave the way for change in present toll barriers and future toll schemes?
    e.g. Are there going to be barriers up when the M7/M8 is complete? How's about the M3 tolls? Upgrading the present M1 and M4 toll so there will be no physical barriers.

Doubt it! The operators of those PPP schemes (scams) won't spend a penny more than they need to, they'll wait until the current infrastructure needs upgrading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Its unlikely on the more rural motorways that there will be congestion at any of the toll collection points?

Could be a good idea of putting tolls on some more of the interurbans as a simple revenue collecting exercise? anathema to the road lovers i know but this country needs money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Steviemak

Could be a good idea of putting tolls on some more of the interurbans as a simple revenue collecting exercise? anathema to the road lovers i know but this country needs money.

Of all sectors of society i believe motorists pay way more than their fair share already!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Apparently, 1.25 cents per litre would bring in more revenue than all the proposed tolls put together,:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

Its unlikely on the more rural motorways that there will be congestion at any of the toll collection points?

invincibleirish, I can't think of another posters on all of boards.ie that I agree less with than you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

galwayrush wrote: »
    Apparently, 1.25 cents per litre would bring in more revenue than all the proposed tolls put together,:P

its expensive enough as it is!!!!!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Steviemak

galwayrush wrote: »

Then the 8 cents per litre in the budget should cover all tolls 6 times over.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Imagine how much it actually costs to build and maintain the Tolls, and the amazing amount of money the Goverment gifted the company who used to run the toll on the M50, quite a large percantage of toll money goes on paying them off..:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Niall F

I'm not a big fan of tolls regardless of how they're collected. A tax at the pumps should be the only road tax we pay as the more petrol you buy obviously the more driving you do. Fairest way as the people who use the roads more pay more for their use.
    My real problem with tolls is the barriers though. There needs to be a different method of collection. May not cause an awful lot of congestion in some cases but I fail to see the logic in building a perfectly good road and having to stop in the middle of it!!! All schemes should be electronically tolled and no barriers at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

invincibleirish, I can't think of another posters on all of boards.ie that I agree less with than you.

Who are you again?:confused::)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Given that the toll operators usually only keep one toll booth open on quieter tolls, causes congestion.

Personally I think putting the cost of the tolls on the price of petrol would have been a much better idea.

I think before all the interurbans were built, the government should have proposed a 1.25 cent per litre increase in petrol price to subsidise the building of all the interurban roads toll free.

This would have made the interurbans quicker and easier to use (no slowing down for toll booths), no cost of building and maintaining the toll booths and no money wasted going to pay the companies that run the toll booths.

I think it would have been quiet popular with the public, 1.25 c per litre for the M50 upgrade and the interurban motorway network toll free, I don't think there would have been too many complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

bk wrote: »
    Given that the toll operators usually only keep one toll booth open on quieter tolls, causes congestion.

Bit of a tangent but the M4 has 9 toll booths in each direction I think. I've only ever really driven on it at night so obviously there would have only been 1 or 2 booths open when I've passed through it.

My question is, are there ever times when all 18 booths are open?

KevR wrote: »
    My question is, are there ever times when all 18 booths are open?

The most I've ever seen is six on a Bank holiday Monday evening!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

I don't believe that tolls should be a revenue collecting exercise. Leave that to income tax and VAT etc.

Based on the polluter pays principle, we should be charged on how far (or near) we travel, when we travel, what size of vehicle we use to travel with etc. That is the only "fair" toll - if there is such a thing! :)

HonalD wrote: »
    Based on the polluter pays principle, we should be charged on how far (or near) we travel, when we travel, what size of vehicle we use to travel with etc. That is the only "fair" toll - if there is such a thing! :)

We already do that, it's called petrol duty!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

We already do that, it's called petrol duty!

No we don't! We use a dumbass system. What is fair is that one should be charged according to WHEN they travel, HOW FAR (or HOW NEAR) they travel i.e. less than a certain distance could be diss-incentizised (Spelling?) and what type of VEHICLE we use.

Petrol Duty doesn't cover this approach - it's a cop-out! :)

Advertisement