Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How would you describe Scott Bakula's acting?

• 13-05-2003 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭

Finally the ultimate poll.

In my opinion he is the worst thing about enterprise. Every time he goes off on one of his mini-rants I just swith over.

Am I the only person who feels this way?

How wooden is he? 27 votes

Oak
    0% 0 votes
    Ash
    51% 14 votes
    Pine
    18% 5 votes
    He's actually quite good
    29% 8 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

hes no picard thats for sure

but it was the same with voyager i always felt the doctor should have been the captian of that ship/show

the only good st captains where picard and sisko

kirk...................talks...................like..................this............and.............it..............gets..............annoying............after.........awhile

Janway god she was awful
    Archer is a idoit he seems to get cauth by every damn civ he comes across

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

I disagree, I liked him on quantum leap and I was happy when I heard he was gonna be the next captain... Or previous captain..

Pales in comparison to Stewart though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

Bleh Enterprise, watched 3 epis then said no more, it's the same rant over and over. I'm kinda surprised it hasn't being canceled yet.

He should change his name to Archer 2X4 (yes what a funny little joke i made /me faints a laugh)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Jaybuses crisp

Brilliant in quantum leap but please oh please get lost form the trek

next captain i vote for wodden acting is keanu reeves he would be perfect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

As much as I did like him in Quantum Leap, I think he's a dreadfull Captain.

He simply doesn't have that aura of authority, and commanding voice/tone that Patrick Stewart has.

Bakula is naff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Sloth

He's so controlling and whiny.
    "T'pol, you have to fraternise with the crew, watch the films, blah blah bloody blah."
    "Humanity is so advanced, we're so enlightened, I am so great, I am so great"
    You'd probably be just as bad if you had to sit in that seat with repressed sexual urges for your Vulcan officer all day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Spock

Hes a great captain, hes so easy going, weather or not you like the character he is a good acter.
    Kirks acting has become famous so thats good too, as was Picard and Sisko, but not squeeky voice janeway, she sucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,884 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I thought janeway was good in later voyager (mid season 3 onwards). Before that she was all Katherine Hepburn - "oh chakotay, the tea really is lovely", as opposed to picard's "tea earl grey hot".
    Picard and Sisko were definitely the best. Want to strangle Bakula when he goes on his rants. T'pol was really intelligent, unforunately she's becoming polluted with his crap.

Its not Scotts fault he goes on those rants, he dosent write the script, i think people are confuseing his acting ability with the character he plays

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

It's not the script really. There have been a few instances where they attempted some humour. I say attempted because it just didn't work for me at all. I remember remarking at the time that Stargate would have made the joke work.

Now, whether that means that it is the actors or the director, I don't know. Either way Archer comes across as a big plank of wood. Actually I am starting to think that wood has too much character. He is more like a sheet of MDF.

People have mentioned his appearances in Quantum Leap. I feel that I have to say that I quite like his performances in it. It worked fairly well, much better than his attempts as archer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Originally posted by The_Bullman
    Actually I am starting to think that wood has too much character. He is more like a sheet of MDF.
    Heh :)

I only barely liked him as an actor in Quantum Leap, I cringed when he'd be caught talking to 'himself' in almost every episode. He's atrocious in Enterprise. He's got the acting prowess of a stale cracker.

Stargate would have made it funny because the destroied the character of O'Neill with humour.
    Have you seen the film, he's meant to but a tight arse military bitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Personally I think they should deal with this in the Klingon manner of promotion by muntiee push Archer out an airlock and Promote Trip or Malcom.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

hey o-neill rules ! stargate and to a lesser extent adromada are the only shows worth watching now

archer as a captain is worthless and the crew other than reid are a bunch of red neck americans .........also i hate the fact theirs no fecking other starfleet ships around its annoying and im not sure why :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Dont Ban Me

Sisko was the best is the best and will the best for ever!!(only from when he went bald and got the goatee!!)

I heard a while ago that they were thinking of making a DS9 movie, anybody got any news on this??

Janeway annoyed the hed off me, nearly as much as the god dam Kazon, oh my god did thet give me ire!!

As for Scott, thought Quantum Leap was v.good, havent seen enuff of Enterprise to comment :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Don't forget they have written Archer as the first captain of a starship. They are portraying him as a man that's doing everything first.

I think he's quite good actually, however of all the captains

5 - Archer
    4 - Kirk (he's just after the ladies)
    3 - Janeway (shes a bit mean / nasty at times)
    2 - Sisko (reinvented himself after he got the noggin shaved)
    1 - Picard (without a doubt the best captain ever, Stewart is simply amazing)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

Originally posted by Praetorian
    5 - Archer
    4 - Kirk (he's just after the ladies)
    3 - Janeway (shes a bit mean / nasty at times)
    2 - Sisko (reinvented himself after he got the noggin shaved)
    1 - Picard (without a doubt the best captain ever, Stewart is simply amazing)

Although I do like Archer I agree with that list 100% :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

Oh boy.....:D

Well I'm a kirk fan...

Shoot em...

Shag em....

Speak to em....

In a different order every episode....

DAMN KLINGONS!!!!!!!1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

In a word..dire.. liz hurley is a better actress

with no other ships in the federation they have to call upon the Vulcans, the superpower of their day, thats pretty cool if you ask me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Sloth

I think Bakula will relax more into the role as time goes on, I mean I didn't like Mulgrew to begin with but it only took a few series for her to steadily improve as an actress and as a captain.

Mulgrew, improve,hahahaha, thats so funny, she got steadily worse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

i flippin' hate ENTERPRISE

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Yet again I can't take Scott Bakula seriously.... due to the numerous dress wearing fiascos on Quantum Leap...

I don't think though I can be particularly critical of his abilities as of yet though since I haven't watched enough Enterprise yet to have seen him in enough shower scenes...

... sorry I meant to say in challenging acting situations...

Scott bakula didnt try out for the role of Archer, he was asked to play him, scott declined but after much persausion they got him for the role.

Advertisement