Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post here every time you get something new!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Yeah i heard about that, works good so far though,

I'll make a list of the games im going to get in the next few day, only really want to get essentials

• Registered Users Posts: 34,360 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Just to let you know, (so you can store away your originals *cough* *cough*), Mega CD games have no copy protection. A burned cd-r will work in it perfectly.

Oh really, just like all the back up dreamcast games. Having backups is always nice but for the really good games I like playing my originals.

Sure I'm basically falling over all my Neo Geo stuff! Thank god i have it all backed up to a handy place :p

Master of the Universe

Oh really, just like all the back up dreamcast games. Having backups is always nice but for the really good games I like playing my originals.

Sure I'm basically falling over all my Neo Geo stuff! Thank god i have it all backed up to a handy place :p

If you'd like, you can store them in the warehouse where we keep all our arcade PCBs so we can play MAME :pac:

Oh that would be great. really clear out some space around the house

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Having backups is always nice but for the really good games I like playing my originals.

A premise I agree with...excpet when it came to buying Snatcher :eek: Holy crap that game is expensive now! I used to have it when I was younger, but bundled it away with my md/cd/32x for one of those PS1 thingies....remember them :mad: :p

You might consider fitting Arakons multi region bios chip to your mcd1. You can buy US & JAP originals then, so might open up a few possibilities to you? I did it to mine and found it excellent.

is it hard ot install?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

is it hard ot install?

Its not difficult, but not very easy, more time consuming. You remove the original push in bios chip, bend some legs up, and refit it. Then Arakons chip "piggy-backs" on top of the original one. There are two switches needed to select the region, these need to be wired to the chip legs - but there is a very good wiring diagram to follow if memory serves.

I did mine about 4/5 years ago but thats the basic jist of it.

Ah right, i might give it a shot in a while, i'll stick with the PAL games for now though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Scored Zelda: Minish Cap for GBA for a tenner, not bad me thinks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

I got Croc on the PS1 today for €3.99.

Very pleased :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

oisins snes is now mine :D

had to part with my dreaqmcast though

Get any games in the trade?

the 5 mentioned plus street fighter 2 import

Master of the Universe

weeder wrote: »
    the 5 mentioned plus street fighter 2 import

Enjoy :D

Cant wait to give that Dreamcast a go! I'm what, a decade late?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

o1s1n wrote: »
    Enjoy :D

Cant wait to give that Dreamcast a go! I'm what, a decade late?

I dug out my Dreamcast earlier today and was ready to try out some games but couldn't the cord that goes to the tv :mad:

i may set up my crt telly now. hdtv plus 16 bit makes me sad

Master of the Universe

I thought I would avail of my parents laser printer while I was out in Bray.

The following games I had cart only. They really deserved their own box.

Four crappy sports game clamshells & one Guillotine later -

NEWCOVERS.jpg

sideview.jpg

The hardest part was actually finding decent scans. Musha didn't have a spine and Phantasy Star IV had a nastly website logo on the bottom.

Still, happy enough with the results!

Edit - Just found a great website for Megadrive cover scans and they have a proper Phantasy Star IV. Excellent, can do that one again.

http://www.zonesega.com/covers

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Nice work o1s!

I usually print out the covers for games that don't come with them too. They're in black and white though so they look like dodgy pirates :P

ristar, i remember putting a good few hours away on that one.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

There's another 7 or 8 good games I need to get boxed. Looks like I'll be taking another trip out to the parents...

Yeah, Ristar is great! It's a criminally overlooked game. Shame really.

Seems I'm spending a fortune on RGB scart cables lately. After buying one for a Saturn, Famicom, ps2 and now Dreamcast.

That's about 50 euro on cables. Jesus!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Seems I'm spending a fortune on RGB scart cables lately. After buying one for a Saturn, Famicom, ps2 and now Dreamcast.

Ah jaysus, you've got money to burn :P

There's another 7 or 8 good games I need to get boxed. Looks like I'll be taking another trip out to the parents...

Yeah, Ristar is great! It's a criminally overlooked game. Shame really.

was delighted to see a gamecube AV cable thisevening, thought i would be either stuck for rf or routing through that big box of av cables i have.
    enjoying it more than any emulator anyway, even if it looks bad on my hdtv.

Master of the Universe

weeder wrote: »
    was delighted to see a gamecube AV cable thisevening, thought i would be either stuck for rf or routing through that big box of av cables i have.
    enjoying it more than any emulator anyway, even if it looks bad on my hdtv.

Ugh, I can't stomach the horror of LCD tvs either. Was playing Rez earlier which doesn't look too bad.

While I had it on, i thought I'd give Legacy of Kain a go which I'm only just after getting.

Ah! The uglyness of ps1 games on big LCD tv is just beyond anything my eyes can look at. Had to turn it off.

Yeah its horrible seeing some of the best games ever played all horrible on the hd screens, Luckily I have a 32" crt tv downstairs to enjoy the full experience

Master of the Universe

I have a 28 inch CRT for the same purpose myself. It's in the other room though...which is too cold!

and christ only knows what would i do if i wasnt 5 seconds away from the internet at all times so sega megadrive is hooked up to the 32" hd beside me

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Of course it's kinda good that CRT tv's are so robust, given how rare they are about to become.
    It may be an idea for starter retro gamers to invest in one of the 21" tellys that Lidl and Aldi have in, from time to time, just so they will have the "natural" anti-aliasing of the tech to make those 8/16bit consoles look that bit better.
    Not to mention also providing the option of playing Time Crisis and Duck Hunt years from now!

I wonder if someone could make some sort of signal processor for the video output of 8/16bit consoles, something that would provide that "fuzzyness" that LCDs lack, it could be easily done, one would think, and could be a solution for those gamers who want to play a spot of Road Rash II but not accept the LCD drubbing it usually gets.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Got Gaelic Football 2, Hurling and Tourist Trophy for the PS2 in Gamestop today for €12 all together, not too bad.
    Nearly bought Star Trek: Encounters, it was about 12 or so.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

My Japanese Saturn and Famicom travel case came today.

But as usual, they were delivered to my parents. So I won't be getting them till next weekend.

Ah! The wait always kills me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement