Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2016 NFL Draft

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

tripperman wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if the cowboys take a qb with there pick even tho the have bigger needs at linebacker and dline, a backup to romo has to be got and don't think trading for Johnny football is as good a bet as drafting Paxton lynch

Cowboys won't be taking a QB at #4
    The D line needs some upgrades and I'd imagine we'll be taking someone there
    With needs for edge rushers and corners (if Claiborne goes FA) that's where dem boys will pick
    Or alternatively they could trade down a few spots and maybe pick up a few players

• Registered Users Posts: 36,101 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Some interesting thoughts on the draft on this site, interesting breakdown and review of New Orlean's draft efforts across a lot of years

http://zonereads.com

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Jeff Fisher seems like a nice guy!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

TRS30 wrote: »
    Jeff Fisher seems like a nice guy!

Jeff "7-9" Fisher.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

adrian522 wrote: »

Most of the upper end QB's don't go to the senior bowl each year. Not sure the fuss? I know he's lot to prove but it's fairly common.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Most of the upper end QB's don't go to the senior bowl each year. Not sure the fuss? I know he's lot to prove but it's fairly common.
    To me if you do have something to prove and you don't go it either shows

1.hes afraid of messing up so he's not confident enough
    2.hes doing an aj mccaron an he thinks he should automatically be a top pick

Either are not great for me

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

kennyb3 wrote: »

He's not good enough to be not going IMO, I wouldn't consider him to be in the upper end of QB's, in terms of potential first or second round picks at least.

nerd69 wrote: »
    To me if you do have something to prove and you don't go it either shows

1.hes afraid of messing up so he's not confident enough
    2.hes doing an aj mccaron an he thinks he should automatically be a top pick

Either are not great for me

Brett Hundley declined a senior bowl and many QB's do each year. He did fall and maybe that's why but its worked out well in that he's backing up A-rod.

There are loads of reasons to:

1. Potential injury or carrying a slight injury
    2. Bad system fit at senior bowl
    3. Other combine work planned

It's really not a big deal. Numerous players do it each year, even those who aren't top picks.

I guess if he's happy enough to be a mid round pick to go be a backup somewhere then no need to go to the Senior Bowl.

By the way the whole point of the senior bowl is the week of practice leading up to it more so than the game itself. It's a great opportunity of NFL scouts to have a look at prospects close up, how the practice, what their strengths are, and how they perform when playing with different team mates.

I think for scouts they can learn a lot more than at the combine or a pro day.

• Advertisement

Jaylon Smith (Notre Dame LB) who suffered a bad injury in the bowl game, has declared for the draft. Would likely have been a first round pick, now unlikely to play in 2016, who know where someone will take him.

Jaylon Smith (Notre Dame LB) who suffered a bad injury in the bowl game, has declared for the draft. Would likely have been a first round pick, now unlikely to play in 2016, who know where someone will take him.

Still think he could make first round (medical and recovery post surgery looking okay) - he's a top 5 talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

RGIII set to be released by the Skins. You'd imagine there would be a huge market for him. If you needed a QB would you go after RGIII or take a shot on someone like Goff or Lynch in the 1st round?

HigginsJ wrote: »
    RGIII set to be released by the Skins. You'd imagine there would be a huge market for him. If you needed a QB would you go after RGIII or take a shot on someone like Goff or Lynch in the 1st round?

In the right situation he may work but I can see Ihim going to someone like the Browns for big money and wasting his career

My Ravens will surely have the chance to take at least one of Hargreaves, Ramsey or Alexander at #6. I really think their secondary is so bad that they have to take 1 unless Bosa falls (not happening).

I could see Ozzie going ultra-safe with Stanley though presuming Tunsil is gone.

HigginsJ wrote: »

For the right money RGIII could end up at the cowboys...

The talk coming from the cowboys is they might take a more experienced young veteran (RGIII or Kaepernick) if they become available at the right money to back up Romo

And didn't he play school and college ball in Texas at Baylor??? So not wholly unlikely...

Maybe I can dream!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

brinty wrote: »
    For the right money RGIII could end up at the cowboys...

The talk coming from the cowboys is they might take a more experienced young veteran (RGIII or Kaepernick) if they become available at the right money to back up Romo

And didn't he play school and college ball in Texas at Baylor??? So not wholly unlikely...

Maybe I can dream!!!

I think there is very little chance that he will end up in Dallas. He'd make far more money elsewhere. The Browns, 49ers, Eagles, Rams and Texans would all be able to offer him more than the Cowboys. I'd say the Saints, Cowboys, Cards will all look at him but I don't think he'll go to a team with a starting QB, unless he wants to sit and learn for a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

RG3 at the Browns would be great craic altogether.

glued wrote: »
    I think there is very little chance that he will end up in Dallas. He'd make far more money elsewhere. The Browns, 49ers, Eagles, Rams and Texans would all be able to offer him more than the Cowboys. I'd say the Saints, Cowboys, Cards will all look at him but I don't think he'll go to a team with a starting QB, unless he wants to sit and learn for a year.

Fully agree with you on what you're saying Glued, there's other teams where he'd likely start and will go to

Cowboys will only take the deal if its right for them.

We all know Jerry Jones dream is the browns cut Manziel and he picks him up for peanuts....

We all know oul Jethro Jones loves a basket case...

So Mel Kiper has done his first mock draft..
    any thoughts??

• Advertisement

I don't get why people pay this guy so much attention, seems like he's throwing darts all the time.

Anyway I can only see the top 5 picks without a subscription. Those picks look fine, could well happen.

Tennessee could go Tackle at 1 either, or trade out of it altogether. I'd imagine Goff to Cleveland is as certain as you can ever be in January.

Apparently his pick 6 and 7 are Stanley to the Ravens and Treadwell to the 49ers. As a 49ers fan I'd be happy enough with that, but we haven't drafted a decent WR since Crabtree so not really sure.

Things would be cleared after free agency in March.

Here's the full mock if anyone's interested:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/40xry7/mel_kipers_2016_nfl_mock_draft_10/

I'll be livid if the Ravens take Stanley with Hargreaves still on the board.
    I don't get why people pay this guy so much attention, seems like he's throwing darts all the time.

You've literally summed up everyone who covers the draft there. :D

Paully D wrote: »
    Here's the full mock if anyone's interested:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/40xry7/mel_kipers_2016_nfl_mock_draft_10/

I'll be livid if the Ravens take Stanley with Hargreaves still on the board.

You've literally summed up everyone who covers the draft there. :D

My dream draft involves Stanley falling to the Eagles I'd love it.

Eagles draft is a bit funny As well nkimdichi looks like a stud so I'd like it but it's an area of real strength at the mo for the Eagles probably the strongest

Although I'm sure Jim Schwartz wouldn't mind the pick at all :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Tunsil won't fall to 3. He's pretty much Ogden (who should never have fallen to 4), Pace level of a prospect. Obv doesn't mean he'll get near those guys but he's prob gonna be the 1st overall imo. Unless someone trades up for a qb.

I don't think Bosa has the crazy freak athleticism you want out of a 1st pick overall lineman. He's a very good prospect and looks quite nfl ready but i think his ceiling is too low to go 1st overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Tunsil won't fall to 3. He's pretty much Ogden (who should never have fallen to 4), Pace level of a prospect. Obv doesn't mean he'll get near those guys but he's prob gonna be the 1st overall imo. Unless someone trades up for a qb.

I don't think Bosa has the crazy freak athleticism you want out of a 1st pick overall lineman. He's a very good prospect and looks quite nfl ready but i think his ceiling is too low to go 1st overall.

If I had to pick right now, I think the top 3 is:

1) Tunsil - Titans
    2) Goff - Browns
    3) Bosa - Chargers

Paully D wrote: »
    If I had to pick right now, I think the top 3 is:

1) Tunsil - Titans
    2) Goff - Browns
    3) Bosa - Chargers

Hope soon seem a few where the Chargers take Stanley and cowboys get bosa and that's terrifying

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Might be the only person left with this opinion but Stanley > Tunsil imo.

Myles Jack is also the best player in the class.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭tripperman

Wouldn't be surprised to see Ramsey go in the top 3/4 picks he seems to be an exceptional talent and a good combine will reinforce that imo

• Advertisement

Ragland to the Bears at 11 is way too rich. Whiffed in the bowl game and definite questions as to whether he can be a 3 down backer.

No thanks!

Advertisement