Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So, who's looking forward to Arthur's Day? What will you be doing?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

Or maybe I'd just rather spend my money on the things I like.

Don't knock it till you try it, that's my motto.
    It would be a very boring world if we all just stuck to what we knew and nothing else.
    That's all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

What bands have they organised this year?remember they had David Gray a few years back and the eejits in my old job were delighted that Guinness had brought in a big name Irish singer!

Against the Grain on Wexford Street are giving away free pints from the Galway Bay Brewery on Thursday at six so I might head there for a few.

Jamsiek wrote: »
    Don't knock it till you try it, that's my motto.
    It would be a very boring world if we all just stuck to what we knew and nothing else.
    That's all.

Well I've tried many many different beers some nice and some awful but none nicer than the ones I like and from being forced into pubs which don't serve the beers I like, I know for a fact that I get much more enjoyment in sitting down and enjoying a rake of pints of Guinness or Smithwicks than spending money on something that even if its ok, just isn't as nice.

There is also the worse hangover you get when drinking beers you aren't used to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,094 ✭✭✭forgotten password

it's not a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Chagan

I have never drank on Arthurs day, but this year I am going to drink as much guinness as I possibly can just because of that cnut Christy Brown.

The actual Christy Brown or just Daniel Day Lewis?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Arthur's Day is great craic and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I'll most likely be out in Dublin but not staying out late as I've college and a party the next day. Was thinking of heading to The Living Room as it's close but there's some Def Lepperd band on so I don't know yet :/

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Pingi

Headed to the ticketed gig in Cork, will be my first time going out on Arthurs day.

Not a big drinker, recon it's going to be good craic, well monitored and not too over crowded like a lot of places will be.

Will report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭French Toast

I'll make fajitas for dinner and then drink tea and eat 2 slices of Pineapple Log.

It'll be a great Arthur's Day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

It's gas that there are people who genuinely believe that the country thinks days such as Arthur's Day aren't driven by corporate profit.

Everyone is fully aware of what it is.

How stupid do you think your peers are, exactly?

We are all aware that days like Arthurs Day were dreamt up at a boardroom meeting driven by profit. People are just choosing to experience joy instead of negativity. And that's actually pretty damn wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Arthur's day can fuck right off as far as I'm concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭flas

2smiggy wrote: »
    They are mainstream because they are successful ! I'm sure if any of the 'craft' beers were selling well , then production would be increased , and then they would become mainstream and therefore undrinkable !!

I drink what I like , not what I see advertised. Currently I drink pints of carling, because I think it's the nicest drink at the moment at my local pub

its to d qith tax reasons,if they produce more than 20,000 hectrelitresor something they have to pay a higher tax...

im not a beer snob by the way,i would compare macro(mainstream) and micro(craft) beer it to fast food and restaurants,il eat a battered sausage and chips no problem,but if i was given the choice of a steak instead it would be the steak hands down...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

People keep talking about "Diageo pubs", IE pubs which only have Diageo beer, as if Diageo owns them or has some kind of contract with them.
    Does one have to have a license or contract from the manufacturer to sell their product? Is there some deal pubs have with Diageo which says they're not allowed to sell anything else?

I always assumed pubs were just like retail stores, buy your products from wholesale suppliers rather than direct from the manufacturers and basically be allowed to carry whatever selection of kegs and taps you like. Is there some agreement that says, "If I want to sell Guinness here I have to agree not to sell any non-Diageo beers"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur.

Nothing will ever be able to touch the sheer lunacy of Primal Scream in the Silver Granite in Palmerstown last year. Working late this year so I'll miss the lot but wouldn't be really bothered with any of the bands playing anyway.

That was a fantastic night!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

Its an alco's day simple as!

The novelty has worn off and people are sick of the hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭zega

Everyone knows it's a stroke of good marketing.The only people who care are dry ****es who don't like the idea of people getting drunk and having fun in a pub.

Im going out into town and getting smashed drunk on whatever is cheap.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Couldn't give a ****e about the Day, but Against the Grain are doing free pints of their own stuff so I'll probably go there :pac: Buried at Sea is far superior anyway :)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

I've never had a chance to go to Against the Grain but I've heard they have a pretty nice selection of rare and very good beers that you don't really get anywhere else, anyone been? Is it any good?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I've never had a chance to go to Against the Grain but I've heard they have a pretty nice selection of rare and very good beers that you don't really get anywhere else, anyone been? Is it any good?

It's my favourite pub. Woudn't say rare beers, moreso hard to get, especially in a regular pub. Definitely worth a trip if you have an open mind towards beer.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

If i wasn't working i'd go to ATG myself, so work and then to the gym will be my day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭Weevil

I will be spending September 26th the same way I would spend any other
    Thursday; looking forward to the weekend.

• Advertisement

zega wrote: »
    Everyone knows it's a stroke of good marketing.The only people who care are dry ****es who don't like the idea of people getting drunk and having fun in a pub.

In general that's pretty much it in a nutshell.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

Won't be doing anything. Don't feel the need to go out just because a drinks company invents a holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I couldn't give a scuttery f!!k about it. In fact the Seanad vote is just as interesting.

Guinness sales must be falling and Christy Moore must be releasing a new album.

Any shneaky word on where Kodaline are playing? Only just got into them recently, they seem to be the most talked about act of this year though and based on what I've heard that doesn't surprise me much, would expect good things from a live set :D
    On a side note, what do people mean when they talk about "Diageo pubs" when referring to pubs which only sell beer from Diageo? I've seen one or two posts which imply that you make some kind of deal with them if you want to sell their beer, which says you can only sell what they want you to. It's interesting - is there some kind of ongoing license a pub needs from a manufacturer to sell particular brands of beer? I always assumed it was just like retail, IE you simply order what you want from wholesale suppliers and have little to no dealings with the manufacturer itself. I know they have special taps and bayonets so you can't use different tap brands (bit silly imo) but people are talking as if it's like "You can order some beer from Diageo as long as you agree not to sell any other beer", or something like that.

Does it really work that way? Would be pretty surprised if it did, would imagine that would be bad for business - been assuming that the pubs which only sell common brands of beer simply did so because they sell, not because they were compelled to only sell those particular brands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Had a few pre-Arthur's day drinks today, determined to turn this into a three day thing :L

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

zootroid wrote: »
    Won't be doing anything. Don't feel the need to go out just because a drinks company invents a holiday.
    What?!? you mean we actually have an option NOT do do anything?

What about special K "2 bowls a day challenge" for 2 weeks, next you'll be telling me I don't have to follow that diet either! please don't tell me that was also a cynical marketing thing that I foolishly fell for. I was certain it was a public service announcement put out by some government nutritional agency.

If guinness do quit arthurs day I wonder what the has-been celebrity whingers will go to next, in their quest to flog their best of albums using their own brand of slick cynical marketing. Perhaps electric picnic, people are known to get pissed at that and its sponsored by heineken & bacardi. Oxegen was sponsored by heineken

rubadub wrote: »
    What?!? you mean we actually have an option NOT do do anything?

Great, I won't be doing anything then.
    Bring on the weekend!

Great, I won't be doing anything then.
    Bring on the weekend!

The weekend starts on Thursdays, shortens the week a lot knowing you only have to wait until thursday to head out. One of the best nights for going out too. Work Fridays is tough but sure you have the cure to look forward to on Friday evening :D

The weekend starts on Thursdays, shortens the week a lot knowing you only have to wait until thursday to head out. One of the best nights for going out too. Work Fridays is tough but sure you have the cure to look forward to on Friday evening :D

The last job I had gave me every 2nd Friday off if I completed the hours a day early.
    It was great to relax on a Thursday night and go out and not have to worry about work the next day, I miss that.

I need to be up before 6am for the new job, Monday to Friday. I'm not able to function with a hangover, must be the years catching up with me :(

Thats the thing with Arthurs Day, it's always on a Thursday. I bet lots of employers must hate it.

• Advertisement

The last job I had gave me every 2nd Friday off if I completed the hours a day early.
    It was great to relax on a Thursday night and go out and not have to worry about work the next day, I miss that.

I need to be up before 6am for the new job, Monday to Friday. I'm not able to function with a hangover, must be the years catching up with me :(

Thats the thing with Arthurs Day, it's always on a Thursday. I bet lots of employers must hate it.

In fairness I couldn't do the getting up at 6am without drink never mind when hungover. It's a lot easier when you have fairly flexible working hours and getting to work at 10:30 or even later evey now an then isn't an issue once there isn't a pre-arranged meeting etc.

Getting in for a 9:30 meeting last Friday was no fun at all after Thursday nights indulgences!

Advertisement