Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***Motors Chat Thread*** Round 1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

166man wrote: »
    I wouldn't have said that's a scam looking just at the price. An 8 year old V8 6-Series with 135k miles ain't worth much these days...
    These were asking 14k last year. Not worth much on an 80k+ car could be 10k or 8k and still be stupid cheap. I suspect you wont find one cheaper anywhere in Europe than this.

The cheapest one in the Netherlands (similar VRT and tax rules as here) is EUR9500 and looks like this:
    $(KGrHqNHJB8E-N)7kqRCBPp+!kV9Rg~~_19.JPG
    The next one up is asking 14.5k and has 192k KM.
    List here.

In Germany where the original prices are much cheaper but taxes lower (and therefore resale desirability higher) the prices start at around EUR16k.

I think even a semi-legit 04 645 for EUR6.5k is stunningly cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

Nice m8.

So let's see now:

We got so far:

Golf gti
    Focus st
    Impress wrx
    Some crapy Alfa :P

All we missing now is an Opel Astra opc.

So who is being a good lad and taking that bullet? :D

And you have no idea how long ive waited to own that 'crappy Alfa' :p

Btw is it just me or does that Gti look pink:D

Edit: I had hopes for ardennes on the OPC front, seems to be fading.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Maybe it was the Netherlands, but I remember talking to a guy who was trying to buy a Range Rover for export over there.

Something about when you import a car there it gets a plate as if it was a new car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭coolisin

http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/6-Series/645-645C/201228209052709/advert?channel=CARS

http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/6-Series/-645CI-C/4813293150916100/advert?channel=CARS

The two cheapest ones on carzone. Ive being watching that gold one drop steady over the last few months.
    I said to the O/H, look we could afford to buy that 645, we could just afford to run it (at the moment)

You know you would want to own a 6series you've always being a massive fan.
    She looks at it and says "but its an 04 that is ancient, only if it was a newer one......." right ok.

Seems the way things are going now anything with a decent engine wont sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

pred racer wrote: »
    And you have no idea how long ive waited to own that 'crappy Alfa' :p

Edit: I had hopes for ardennes on the OPC front, seems to be fading.

Would be class if someone had opc and we could all these cars together on some meet. Cars in similar price range and style. Others could see what they missed out on by looking at each others steel horse :)

• Advertisement

coolisin wrote: »

Seems the way things are going now anything with a decent engine wont sell.

Wouldn't even say it's the engine, it's the fear that if anything goes wrong it's gonna cost you a small fortune! That's the main reason I wouldn't buy something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

draffodx wrote: »
    I think the big meets have been canceled in favour of smaller regional meets.

Quel dommage...

What about a Dublin meet at some stage during August?

Wouldn't even say it's the engine, it's the fear that if anything goes wrong it's gonna cost you a small fortune! That's the main reason I wouldn't buy something like that.

Well that would be the main worry alright, your talking big money on parts.

Well that would be the main worry alright, your talking big money on parts.

I'd buy a Range Rover in the morning, I'd be able to cope with the tax and the fuel economy but if anything went wrong I just wouldn't be able to afford it/want to waste the money.

She looks at it and says "but its an 04 that is ancient, only if it was a newer one......." right ok.

Im doing some serious eye rolling right here. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

And the BMW 4.4 V8 is prone to coolant leak from the crossover tube - which will cost a large fortune to repair in a dealer, and a small fortune even in an indie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭gollywog

pred racer wrote: »

Yes it needs a good polish but it dont look pink!
    Well that's what I'm choosing to believe lol! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

If you're gonna be running a luxobarge on a budget, make sure it's at least 10 years old and sans too much reliance on gadgetry.

And the BMW 4.4 V8 is prone to coolant leak from the crossover tube - which will cost a large fortune to repair in a dealer, and a small fortune even in an indie.

So basically what your saying is look at lexus's's!!

One major reason i would be still to scared to take the leap into luxobarge budget territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭franksm

A tube is a tube (is a tube :pac:)

Is it possible to replace sch things with silicon components, rather than squandering money with BMW ?

I have done that with my own car, just 'upgraded' to silicon as necessary rather than all at once

franksm wrote: »
    A tube is a tube (is a tube :pac:)

Is it possible to replace sch things with silicon components, rather than squandering money with BMW ?

I have done that with my own car, just 'upgraded' to silicon as necessary rather than all at once

Of the top of my head, the cost with that particular issue was labour as the "tube" is at the bottom back of the engine block. If its the same thing Im thinking of, some US companies made some fancy reverse shaped tube you could push in from the outside and have it seal on the far side or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭cgal093

Feckin' rain :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Of the top of my head, the cost with that particular issue was labour as the "tube" is at the bottom back of the engine block. If its the same thing Im thinking of, some US companies made some fancy reverse shaped tube you could push in from the outside and have it seal on the far side or something.

Yeah, that's it. BMW 'official' replacement requires major disassembly of the engine and something like 40 hours labour. Cost is bones of €7k here. All German Auto, a US company, have patented an extendible tube that cuts out much of the labour. That would still cost the bones of €2k though!

Yeah, that's it. BMW 'official' replacement requires major disassembly of the engine and something like 40 hours labour. Cost is bones of €7k here. All German Auto, a US company, have patented an extendible tube that cuts out much of the labour. That would still cost the bones of €2k though!

J wha!!!

7k :eek:

We got the head gasket on and most of the engine back together. The rain got way to bad so we left it for the day.

• Advertisement

something like 40 hours labour. Cost is bones of €7k here.

my face is on the floor, dont think limerick man has done the shock look justice.:eek:
    So it really is stay with 1.4's for the win!

Would still love it though.
    All the same cgal id say its a good laugh, ripping apart a car for the summer!

I'd be retarded to buy this lol, but it's so cool.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3686379

I'd be retarded to buy this lol, but it's so cool.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3686379

Those wheels are awful looking :eek:

They don't bother me!

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3603074

This is soooo clean. Wow

my face is on the floor, dont think limerick man has done the shock look justice.:eek:
    So it really is stay with 1.4's for the win!

I think the issue was addressed in the later models and I have the precursor to this engine which also doesnt have this problem. Nor does my V12.. so no its not 1.4s for the win. :p

cgal093 wrote: »

Really?

You'd have a pink ugly Honda Legend over that Jag?

Really?

You'd have a pink ugly Honda Legend over that Jag?

Colour is a bit ****e but if it was black or blue I'd have it...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

They don't bother me!

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3603074

This is soooo clean. Wow

Should have bought that 'mature gents' S8 when you had the chance. :p

:pac:

• Advertisement

dar83 wrote: »
    Should have bought that 'mature gents' S8 when you had the chance. :p

:pac:

I only aspire to buying petrol, as of now, I won't be at any time soon!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement