Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***Motors Chat Thread*** Round 1

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭cgal093

Hi guys, newbie here. Started driving a couple of months ago in a 97 fiat cinquecento. Just got rid of it and bought my first passion wagon - 00 Alfa Romeo 147 :D 1.6 T Spark, with nice tan leather. Its in need of a new head gasket though, only €30. Part already ordered. Only paid €180 for the car!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Whale cum to the dark side of boards.ie. there are a few Alfa junkies here, so you will feel like at home.
    Alfas are dirt cheap. Will you be doing the gasket yourself? And you are sure it's only the gasket and head did not suffered any damage. What was the reaso of gasket blowing? Check was the cooling state working properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

SH - In case you're waiting for Voodoomelon, he sent his alloys to Lepsons in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

cgal093 wrote: »
    Hi guys, newbie here. Started driving a couple of months ago in a 97 fiat cinquecento. Just got rid of it and bought my first passion wagon - 00 Alfa Romeo 147 :D 1.6 T Spark, with nice tan leather. Its in need of a new head gasket though, only €30. Part already ordered. Only paid €180 for the car!

Welcome man, I'm an Alfa fan although there are a few around here who think they're worthless unreliable yokes that need too much maintenance. I disagree :D

As Shadowhearth said check to see the head gasket blowing didn't affect any other components too. Sounds like you bagged yourself a bargain there though, the leather interior is probably worth more than the car itself!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭gollywog

Well guys, I got it :D
    The dream has been fulfilled!
    I'll throw up a proper thread later but i've to go straight to work now :P

• Advertisement

OSI wrote: »
    Welcome to the *fart* club :p

Gotta love that fart! :p
    Talk later guys :)

Whale cum to the dark side of boards.ie. there are a few Alfa junkies here, so you will feel like at home.
    Alfas are dirt cheap. Will you be doing the gasket yourself? And you are sure it's only the gasket and head did not suffered any damage. What was the reaso of gasket blowing? Check was the cooling state working properly.

100% certain its just the head gasket that needs to be done. We had a good look over it before buying. We stripped the engine to get at the head gasket yesterday and thought about doing the timing belt too as it was only 30 quid but I had to buy a torque wrench instead :( Belt is in good condition though.
    Seller said he bought it with a blown head gasket with intentions of fixing it up and selling it on so don't know how it blew. I'll be doing it with my dad

I really am chuffed with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

TheVoodoo wrote: »
    558146_10150981913037921_114979985_n.jpg

:D:D
    Shamelessly stolen from the 'You laugh you lose' thread.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

gollywog wrote: »
    Well guys, I got it :D
    The dream has been fulfilled!
    I'll throw up a proper thread later but i've to go straight to work now :P

Now in a week you will be in my shoes thinking tiny gremlins are attacking your car at night finding new tiny scratches every day, i also found my 4th dent today :(

Also well done, did he throw in the RNS510 or sell it seperately ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭ Josephine Tasteless Sorcery

It'll need to come off, nitromorse it and then primer and paint....

And if you use normal high temperature paint, you will get a smooth finish and it'll look crap! You need wrinkle paint

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

BDJW wrote: »
    And if you use normal high temperature paint, you will get a smooth finish and it'll look crap! You need wrinkle paint

Thanks. Calipers need doing too, so prob do them all at once over a wknd

Powdercoating looks/wears so much better on calipers

Jimbob 83 wrote: »
    Now in a week you will be in my shoes thinking tiny gremlins are attacking your car at night finding new tiny scratches every day, i also found my 4th dent today :(

Also well done, did he throw in the RNS510 or sell it seperately ?

Oh no..... thats a horrible feeling i'd bet :mad:
    Yup he left that in it, some piece of kit in fairness!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

h3000 wrote: »
    :D:D
    Shamelessly stolen from the 'You laugh you lose' thread.

okay. wheels are not going for refurbishing. i found a set of wheels which will add +20 sexiness to mx5.

need to sort out bank account and set aside 850eu. 650 alloys and 200eu for 195/50/15 tyres. stretch bitches! :D
    if i iwll do those things to mx5 i tihnk ill give scoobie to misses and rob my mx5 back :D

Oh god you are going to put those horrible felter dishes on it arent you...

okay. wheels are not going for refurbishing. i found a set of wheels which will add +20 sexiness to mx5.

need to sort out bank account and set aside 850eu. 650 alloys and 200eu for 195/50/15 tyres. stretch bitches! :D
    if i iwll do those things to mx5 i tihnk ill give scoobie to misses and rob my mx5 back :D

I'd never have an mx5 over a scooby!

Scoobies are awesome!

Oh god you are going to put those horrible felter dishes on it arent you...

felter dishes? :confused: never knew those existed. mx5 looks awesome with dished wheels. pure sex on wheels.

cgal093 wrote: »
    I'd never have an mx5 over a scooby!

Scoobies are awesome!

scoobies are cool and i love my one, but i sold 400hp skyline and still kept mx5. MX5 is really under rated on this island. those little things are just fecking great.

scoobies are cool and i love my one, but i sold 400hp skyline and still kept mx5. MX5 is really under rated on this island. those little things are just fecking great.

a scoobie, a skyline AND an mx5? Now that is cool!

• Advertisement

felter dishes? :confused: never knew those existed. mx5 looks awesome with dished wheels. pure sex on wheels.

facepalm.gif?9d7bd4

Heres some photos of what I done on the Alfa on Saturday and yesterday;

7678359934_03fc500d26_z.jpg
    7678360776_553d865427_z.jpg
    7678361142_0c83693b77_z.jpg

Its ready for a new timing belt but just can't afford it :( Needed a torque wrench...

One question, when I put it on and the engine is back together and able to run, should I leave the car for a while or start it up straight away? I've never done this before and I'll be gutted if I do something wrong..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Was a couple of cars behind behind a 2007 matt black 'Ferrari' on the M4 yesterday, anyone know of it, and if it's genuine rather than a mr2 type thing ? I can't remember the reg to check online myself.

facepalm.gif?9d7bd4

if stuff like this is qualified for felt spec, then i dont want to live on this planet anymore.

msm_90.jpg

All it needs is a nurbergring sticker !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

if stuff like this is qualified for felt spec, then i dont want to live on this planet anymore.

msm_90.jpg

nom-adventure-time.gif

I can understand getting rid of the R33 over the MX-5. Sure, we'd all love a 400bhp RB monster but the little Mazda is a serious car and has a far more usable power band for our roads.

Still, I'd love to faced with that decision, only to buy a WRX afterwards... :(
    You're a lucky ****e, now bake me a cake! :D

CianRyan wrote: »
    nom-adventure-time.gif

I can understand getting rid of the R33 over the MX-5. Sure, we'd all love a 400bhp RB monster but the little Mazda is a serious car and has a far more usable power band for our roads.

Still, I'd love to faced with that decision, only to buy a WRX afterwards... :(
    You're a lucky ****e, now bake me a cake! :D

"now bake me a cake" Ffs man are you from north?! I have a lot of northern Irish friends and when they want to take a piss out of me they say that! :D

I love both cars now. I will need to steal mx5 of misses this weekend. Will need to sort out fuss for those wheels now. I guess I just love dished stretch felt specs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

"now bake me a cake" Ffs man are you from north?! I have a lot of northern Irish friends and when they want to take a piss out of me they say that! :D

I love both cars now. I will need to steal mx5 of misses this weekend. Will need to sort out fuss for those wheels now. I guess I just love dished stretch felt specs :D

Nah, I just love cake! :D
    I'm an amateur baker myself, I was thinking of looking for a baking gig but it seems to be on an "I know someone" basis around Dublin. :(

Ah he's got to be winding you up, it's just the new boy racer slag at this stage, only more shameful. :P

I want a tray of muffins or some flapjacks :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

From em a "different" forum.
    does anyone know if its ok to use wall filler to fill holes in a car.

b5f7k8.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement