Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RTE Announce FTA Saorsat service

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭John896

Also the same signal on my nanoxx 9500 hd,and my skystar 2 hd pc card.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭pegasuspub

just wondering is saorsat showing a live feed or is it a test loop,thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭Apogee

John896 wrote: »
    Also the same signal on my nanoxx 9500 hd,and my skystar 2 hd pc card.

Signal or quality?

Quality.

Funnily enough, when it pisses rain here, the picture on Saorsat starts to break up. Maybe the rain in Wales is special? :)

When you were testing on C-band, did you have a teflon plate inserted?

• Advertisement

Hi Apogee for C-Band i was using a Panorama 13k C-Band LNBF,C-Band Offset Trichter FeedHorn.And a Waveguide Av-Comm Polariser.

In all the years I used C-band or Ku-band, I've never seen the quality to improve in rain. The physics of the thing simply doesn't make sense. :confused:

At a push, if you had a spectrum analyzer to confirm a increase on quality on Ka-band in rain, I'd make a wild, unsupported stab at water acting to depolarise the signal. But even then, I would have expected the signal absorption of water to more than cancel out any signal gain on depolarisation.

signal.jpg

A Ka-band Waveguide Water-Based Absorptive Switch with an Integrated
    Micropump

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭satwyn

very little drop in signal here with moderate rain but no signal increase using various receivers including azbox premium+

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

Vu Duo new drivers in latest version of VIX enables 2 satellite positions at 9deg east for KU/KA band. This should mean that those of us that have existing ku lnb pointed at 9east should not loose these channels if we want to install ka lnb for saorsat. We can effectively have 2 lnbs pointed at 9east. Second small dish will probably be required for saorsat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭zg3409

T42 it depends. As already mentioned in the thread it depends on the model of indoor unit. If you have a model
    RM4100N-010 (One cable) then it may be impossible. I am hoping to test a possible option today.

If it is a model:
    RM4200N-010 (Two cables) then it is easily possible if you carefully follow the tooway installers manual and buy a splitter as already mentioned in the thread.

It's easy to tell the difference. The first unit has one cable between the dish and indoor unit, while the second model has two cables to the dish. The model number is written underneath the indoor unit.

Naturally you need to be in Ireland or very near for this to work too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 T42

Zg, Router is a 4100 with only one cable. Rx and Tx on the LNB.
    I put a Splitter on the cable coming from the LNB, connected side with DC pass to the router and it works fine, as the broadband is still working. Hope to connect a receiver for SaorSat to the other side of the Splitter, but don't know what to use. Any help would be great.

If you have 1 cable version your plan will not work. I am testing a possible solution at the moment.

any mpeg4 receiver should work ok have used spiderbox 7000 azbox premium+ and vu duo all lock the signal ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

T42 wrote: »
    Zg, Router is a 4100 with only one cable. Rx and Tx on the LNB.
    I put a Splitter on the cable coming from the LNB, connected side with DC pass to the router and it works fine, as the broadband is still working. Hope to connect a receiver for SaorSat to the other side of the Splitter, but don't know what to use. Any help would be great.

A DVB-S2 MPEG4 H264 L4 Box will work.

>A DVB-S2 MPEG4 H264 L4 Box will work.

Just to be clear if using a tooway dish with a 4100 indoor box and a splitter WILL NOT work with any make of receiver without extra parts which I am still testing. It may be a few more weeks before I have a definite answer and recommended setup etc.

Well it`s chucking it down with rain here yet again,and my signal quality goes from 75% to 100%.

The "100%" quality reading alone should make you suspicious of this.

Could it be that as you said before that the,water is acting to depolarise the signal.?

I really, really doubt it. Until if was confirmed by a proper digital meter with BER readings, I'd discount it as a spurious reading. Especially as you were reporting issues with your LNB overheating.

That`s very true the lnb still gets very very hot,all this effort so that one day i will be able to watch Shortland Street on Rte One for free.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Odessa

Interesting to see that some are experimenting as far a field as Wales admittedly with comparitively huge sat dishes and getting results!.It will nelp a great deal when the retailers start sending out the special LNBs to allow more of us to try out the Saorsat transmissions!. Well done john896 shareing your findings on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭moro_original

Maybe the rain is cooling the LNB and improving the SNR of its amplifiers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

STB wrote: »
    A DVB-S2 MPEG4 H264 L4 Box will work.
    So when the dishes and LNBs become available will a Diseqc switch allow one receiver to receive FTA sat from a FTA dish and Saorsat from a Saorsat dish , on the one box from the feeds off the two dishes . What kind of EPG will Saorsat have and will it need a specific receiver to get a 7 day EPG .

huge dishes not needed in some parts of wales also the lnb i use does not overheat and in rainy weather i have noticed signal and quality loss q down from 45q to 25q signal only slightly down from 69s to 66s in heavy rain this is using small 1.2m dish

John896 wrote: »
    Well it`s chucking it down with rain here yet again,and my signal quality goes from 75% to 100%.
    you could try to cool the lnb on a hot day with some type of spray and see if the signal changes then you may have the answer

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I read before that in Greenland that during the deep frozen winter they are able to receive many channels not normally receiveable during summer time often picking up stuff from the United States.

I don't understand how it works but also read that Klaus Schumacher the German expat living in Brazil with an 8 metre dish for reception of Astra who is a bit of a hero amongst sat heads was also looking into cyrogenically freezing his LNB's with liquid nitrogen to improve reception. He was quite old so I'm not sure if he went ahead with the plan or if he is even still alive. Dr. Dish tv was good for these stories back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 budgi3

Hi,

I'm a bit out of my depth on this KA-Band satellite, but I would like to get an LNB to pick up the test transmissions if possible.

Does anyone know if this KA-LNB will work for Saorsat?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hughes-DirecWay-DirecPC-LNB-FSS-SAT2-1025448-0008A-KU-/190277299643?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c4d692dbb#ht_1817wt_954

Is a Hughes LNB - which I have read works on the same frequency as Saorsat.

It works out at around €38 delivered, and he seems have have a few of them for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Better to wait till thew "proper" LNBs are available. There is no service yet anyway.

budgi3 wrote: »

That's a Ku-band LNB. FSS = Fixed Satellite Service

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

budgi3 wrote: »

It appears to be an FSS Ku-band LNB and so not suitable for Saorsat.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement