Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PS3 - Resources, Technical Issues, Troubleshooting, FAQs

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Leopardi

I was playing MW2 online this morning and mid-game my PS3 froze, then turned off. I was able to turn it on again, but the same thing happened this afternoon. Now when I turn it on, I can hear the beeping sound, but the machine shuts down again about five seconds later.

I assume this spells the end of my PS3. If someone here experienced this issue before and got their PS3 repaired, what was the cost?

Thanks in advance...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

Leopardi wrote: »
    I was playing MW2 online this morning and mid-game my PS3 froze, then turned off. I was able to turn it on again, but the same thing happened this afternoon. Now when I turn it on, I can hear the beeping sound, but the machine shuts down again about five seconds later.

I assume this spells the end of my PS3. If someone here experienced this issue before and got their PS3 repaired, what was the cost?

Thanks in advance...

Hoovering the fcuk out of it is always the first thing you should do

Hoovering the fcuk out of it is always the first thing you should do

Ha! I'll give that a try. I've just been on to Sony. They would charge €160 for a replacement and give a 3-month warranty with it.

If I bought a new one, is there a way for me to transfer data from the old to the new Hard Drive?

Ha! I'll give that a try. I've just been on to Sony. They would charge €160 for a replacement and give a 3-month warranty with it.

If I bought a new one, is there a way for me to transfer data from the old to the new Hard Drive?

My ps3 stopped reading discs alltogether (blue light didnt come on even) and swallowed my fifa 10 and wouldnt eject,i took the top off and gave it a thorough clean (it was manky with dust),but now i hear you dont even have to take it appart you can just put a hoover up to the side of it.

If you got a new ps3 you should be able to transfer all your stuff

My ps3 stopped reading discs alltogether (blue light didnt come on even) and swallowed my fifa 10 and wouldnt eject,i took the top off and gave it a thorough clean (it was manky with dust),but now i hear you dont even have to take it appart you can just put a hoover up to the side of it.

If you got a new ps3 you should be able to transfer all your stuff

Cheers for the replies. I bought the console over three years ago, but I didn't use it all that much.

• Advertisement

Cheers for the replies. I bought the console over three years ago, but I didn't use it all that much.

Let me know how you get on!

Given that my PS3 won't stay switched on, how would I transfer HD data?

Given that my PS3 won't stay switched on, how would I transfer HD data?

Do you have a slim or phat?
    Im nearly sure i heard someone telling me about a way to do it with a slim

Do you have a slim or phat?
    Im nearly sure i heard someone telling me about a way to do it with a slim

One of the original beasts! I hope it can be done with that!

One of the original beasts! I hope it can be done with that!

Shíte.....theres a big long thread here : http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-Tech-Central/HELP-How-can-I-recover-my-PS3-Game-Save-data-from-a-broken-PS3/td-p/35564689/page/7 and as you can see theyve tried lots of different stuff with no success, if the data is important you might be better off sending it off to be fixed,or trying to do it yourself with the help of youtube vids.

• Advertisement

Shíte.....theres a big long thread here : http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-Tech-Central/HELP-How-can-I-recover-my-PS3-Game-Save-data-from-a-broken-PS3/td-p/35564689/page/7 and as you can see theyve tried lots of different stuff with no success, if the data is important you might be better off sending it off to be fixed,or trying to do it yourself with the help of youtube vids.

Hmmm, not much hope then!

Hmmm, not much hope then!

If you have a look on youtube there are a load of vids showing you how to fix yer ps3 yerself.

http://www.youtube.com/user/junker15 this lad has tons of vids,have a look!

If you have a look on youtube there are a load of vids showing you how to fix yer ps3 yerself.

http://www.youtube.com/user/junker15 this lad has tons of vids,have a look!

Thanks for that link. I doubt I would have the patience to try anything like that!

Thanks for that link. I doubt I would have the patience to try anything like that!

Suppose ye may just do without yer saves and such then......

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I'm not sure if this is the right thread but maybe it is!

Is there a way to install games to your PS3 to lessen load times, just like you can on the 360? I'm playing Red Dead and the pop-ins are starting to annoy me!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this is the right thread but maybe it is!

Is there a way to install games to your PS3 to lessen load times, just like you can on the 360? I'm playing Red Dead and the pop-ins are starting to annoy me!

Some games do, but not an option on all games.

F1ngers wrote: »
    Some games do, but not an option on all games.

Thanks, how can i check? (ie, pop the game in the drive, and...?) I reckon Red Dead is one of those that would greatly benefit from being installed.

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Thanks, how can i check? (ie, pop the game in the drive, and...?) I reckon Red Dead is one of those that would greatly benefit from being installed.

No, they just install.
    Only one I have that installs is MGS4.
    I don't know which games do and which don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Malice_ wrote: »
    I bought a PS3 today and have run into some difficulty with it. When I turn it on and stick a DVD or a game into it, nothing happens. There's a clock icon on the top right which spins around for a bit and then stops but that it. Am I doing something retarded or could the console have somehow been damaged in transit or something? It doesn't look damaged and I'm able to navigate through the menus but that's all.
    Just wanted to post an update to this. Yesterday a working replacement PS3 was finally delivered. It's one of the caveats of dealing with Internet-based retailers. When something goes wrong you will be waiting quite a while (just under 3 weeks in this case) for a resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭rampantglory

sorry if this has been asked before
    but i have a ps3 and 5.1 speakers!! so i am looking for an exteranal sound card or a stero/hifi amp..... any one have a setup??
    or any advice on hardware / brands , where to get them etc

Cheers for any advice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Hey,

It would seem that i can play ps3 for hours wirelessly not a bother but if someone fires up their laptop i get cut off and cant reconnect.

Whats that all about?

Hey,

It would seem that i can play ps3 for hours wirelessly not a bother but if someone fires up their laptop i get cut off and cant reconnect.

Whats that all about?

Check your router settings, probably has something to do with dynamic/static IP addresses.

Might be your router can't handle multiple users.

We usually have a PS3, 360 and one or two laptops on at the same time with no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,809 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I turned on my ps3 tonight and it showed up as being logged out error 8002A212, and suggests I need to update, which I then proceed to do. But then it tells me I have the current version. So I try to sign in again and again get told I need to update and this goes on and on, with my sign in telling me I need to update but PSN telling me I have the latest software.

Any ideas?

Quazzie wrote: »
    I turned on my ps3 tonight and it showed up as being logged out error 8002A212, and suggests I need to update, which I then proceed to do. But then it tells me I have the current version. So I try to sign in again and again get told I need to update and this goes on and on, with my sign in telling me I need to update but PSN telling me I have the latest software.

Any ideas?

Try updating by USB.

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2010/09/07/ps3-system-software-update-ver-3-42/

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Schummi

Hi,
    I'm having a problem with my PS3 (40GB model). Most games (Formula 1 Championship Edition & Uncharted being the only exceptions) leave me with a blank screen when I try to start them. I have the same problem with any new demos that I download from PSN (everything downloaded pre-June works fine) and when trying to start Playstation Home.
    Blu-Ray movies work fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Is the title to this thread a bit odd?
    Questions and Fequently asked Questions!?!? Bit odd no?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

Folks,

What cable should be used with the PS3 to get the maximum experience visually? Is there one that comes with it? If not, can I pick one up in Maplin or somewhere? (won't bother with ebay or buying anything on the net) Sorry for the silly questions but I'm askin for the brother - I'm a 360 man meself :cool::P

And is there REALLY that much of a difference when playing on a HD ready telly and a full HD?

Thanks in advance!

Folks,

What cable should be used with the PS3 to get the maximum experience visually? Is there one that comes with it? If not, can I pick one up in Maplin or somewhere? (won't bother with ebay or buying anything on the net) Sorry for the silly questions but I'm askin for the brother - I'm a 360 man meself :cool::P

And is there REALLY that much of a difference when playing on a HD ready telly and a full HD?

Thanks in advance!

I play on a big screen SD tv but we have a 50' sony bravia in the sitting room so I just had to see if HD was all that great,picked up a lead in tesco for a fiver.
    Difference was unbelievable,didnt want to take the ps3 back upstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭rampantglory

Any brand hdmi cable will do and ure much better off getting them on eBay from Ireland total cost is less then 10 euro compared to at least 30 euro in the shops!!

And there is a huge difference between hd and hd ready. I just made the move myself , definition colour clarity etc is all greatly improved!!!

• Advertisement

You'll need a HDMI cable. Don't pay loads for it, they're all the same -- it's all a gimmick to make you pay more.

Difference between 720p and 1080p - no honestly you won't notice the difference. Possibly if they were side-by-side, but really it's just a mental thing lol. I've gamed on both and i can't tell the difference. More importantly is the size of the TV, it's at least 720p and the contrast ratio.

I would recommend picking up the largest 1080i TV you can afford. the "p" in 1080p costs so much more and you'll not be able to tell the difference either.

Advertisement