Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 - Resources, Technical Issues, Troubleshooting, FAQs

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

noodler wrote: »
    There is nothing to clear up tbh.

Power surges usually have to do with the electricity supply and are pretty rare.

Fair enough.

So, I'm safe switching off completely every time?

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH....Now that that's out of the way my ps3 wont read any disks (game's, dvds) and Im about to go taz with this feckin snow and the kids and wife and did i mention the snow. Help me fix my ps3 it just stopped in the middle of WaW2 and Im so not happy

Thanks
    the Gall

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

Anyone have this problem?

I try to turn on my PS3 and the light turns green for a second and then just flashes red.

It's a 60GB one if that helps.

EDIT: Just realised it's YLOD. Balls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 MAWCON

Hi, Have had my ps3 bout a year and a half. Bought it second hand. 40gb.
    Was working perfectly up as far as friday when watched a DVD.
    Tried to watch a DVD on it today
    Would turn on ok logged in ok and DVD is recognised. When the dvd is played however screen freezes on black and wont start. Films on HD play fine, also whenb i tried to play a game to see if the same problem existed the Game would load fine, in this instance i was using Oblivion, until the the music for the main menu came up when it froze again. A red circle with a white horizontal line in the middle came up in top corner. At a total loss. Is it possible that the Lens has been damaged?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

does anyone know if your internet settings can affect whether you can view pictures/video etc. from your p.c? iv never been able to get it to work until accidentally last night i had to mess around with the network settings on the ps3 and it pops up that its found a media server.

the problem is when i use those settings i get NAT3 but when i try to use the "keep it carlow" NAT1 setings for eircom the ps3 wont find the laptop. as it is now windows media player is set to share with the ps3 but it still wont show up. im using vista btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,332 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Hey, just got a ps3 there and i'm try to set it up wirelessly but the damn thing wont approve my WPA key, done it around 4 times and I know it's the right code but it still wont work :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭rordeb

My ps3 decided it was time to enjoy christmas so one guest poured wine into the machine. Dried it out for a good few days but it now keeps switching off and restarting - Is this the end? Not sure if it is worth getting fixed.

It goes fine for a while - this however seems random.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭lanod2407

Risteard wrote: »
    Anyone have this problem?

I try to turn on my PS3 and the light turns green for a second and then just flashes red.

It's a 60GB one if that helps.

EDIT: Just realised it's YLOD. Balls.

There's a Youtube clip that I found to be brilliant.
    Search YLOD PS3 and it should come up - it's in 2 parts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_Ic1_TY-GU

Before you start - make sure you have a heat gun, tube of thermal paste, set of cross-head screwdrivers, and a set of the strange looking screwdriver heads - can't remember what they're called - Torx?

The clip tells you what you need on a set of notes at the start - but it does not mention the thermal paste - that's critical.

Best of luck - the guy on the youtube clip says that the fix works around 90% of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 kidloco

Can anybody help a complete novice to the PS3. My son recieved one for Xmas and is having trouble connecting to the internet for some online gaming. He keeps getting a message the IP address has timed out. Any help would be appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Super Sidious

kidloco wrote: »
    Can anybody help a complete novice to the PS3. My son recieved one for Xmas and is having trouble connecting to the internet for some online gaming. He keeps getting a message the IP address has timed out. Any help would be appreciated

Need more info... did you read through the original posts in this thread?

That should help...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

flynner13 wrote: »
    Need more info... did you read through the original posts in this thread?

That should help...

FYP, you just need to use this part of the you tube link: "JugGe7CCuNU".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Big Red Stick

My son happily used his PS3 for on-line gaming - I got wireless internet at Christmas, now his games go for a moment then freeze.
    The internet connection is excellent, the only thing we can see that might have an impact is "UPnP Not Available" in his PS3 settings.

Any views / Advice / Other settings I should look at? Before my son drives me completely up the walls!

Thanks,

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

I'm having trouble with my PS3 at the minute. It cannot obtain an IP address.

I have it set up so that my meteor broadband dongle is in my computer and connected. I have then shared this connection (allowed other network users connect through this connection). I have an ethernet cable from my computer to my PS3. It worked fine for ages and I was even getting NAT 2 but since I downloaded and installed SKYPE on my computer, my PS3 cannot obtain an IP address.

I thought it might just be a small thing so I rebooted both my computer/PS3 to no avail. After 2 days of no MW2 it has gone too far and I want to get it solved but I cannot uninstall SKYPE from my computer. I have tried doing it through the add/remove programs but it couldn't uninstall and then I tried to manually delete it from C: > program files > Skype > delete but it couldn't uninstall, saying it is being used by another program even though it can been closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ben101

Just got the yellow light of death playing MW2 yesterday.:eek:
    Customer care agent swears it's the first he's heard of it(YEAH ,RIGHT!!!).
    He said it would be around 170 euro's to repair.:eek:
    Not sure if i want to chance repairing it myself,was wondering was there any decent non sony repair services out there that would do it cheaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭lanod2407

I've already posted this in this thread above re how to fix YLOD -

There's a Youtube clip that I found to be brilliant.
    Search YLOD PS3 and it should come up - it's in 2 parts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_Ic1_TY-GU

Before you start - make sure you have a heat gun, tube of thermal paste, set of cross-head screwdrivers, and a set of the strange looking screwdriver heads - can't remember what they're called - Torx , Number 10?

The clip tells you what you need on a set of notes at the start - but it does not mention the thermal paste - that's critical.

Best of luck - the guy on the youtube clip says that the fix works around 90% of the time. It's worked for me twice in the last 3 months.
    Takes a few hours to do - but it really beats paying 170 for a refurb ..... esp if the refurb has had the same thing done to it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭xyz1

Hi guys,

Just got my ps3 connected online last Sunday and I have been playing away fine on it until this morning. Turned it on and tried to connect and I am getting this error message when I try to sign in to PSN:

An error has occurred. You have been signed out of the Playstation Network.
    (80710092)

The strange thing is that I can use the browser on my ps3 no problem, but when I go to do an internet connection test it tells me it failed. I dont usderstand how this problem could have just sprung out of nowhere? It was working fine last night. No settings have changed. Very odd. Anyone ever come across this beofre or have any ideas? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭J2D2

Have you ever had issues with connection speed on laptops or PCs in your home, with my PS3 it would work fine online nearly all the time, but sometimes when someone else would be online on a laptop and sucking a lot of bandwidth then the PS3 would seem to refuse to connect, other times when the internet was just crappy even on the laptop then the PS3 would not connect.

I figure the PS3 will only connect to the PSN provided the speed is high enough. Not sure if thats the case but it could be.

What internet package do you have? 1mb, 3mb...

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

Did you get this sorted? Probably a conincidence but mine is not working today either.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭xyz1

Did you get this sorted? Probably a conincidence but mine is not working today either.

Ya it is sorted. When I got home from work last night it was working fine! Dunno what happened. I'm just glad its back. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Hi I got a PS3 today. Im having problems connecting to the internet though. It will connect to download updates and the internet browser also works. But it wont connect to playstation live so I can play Modern Warfare 2 multiplayer. It just stays on the sign in screen trying to connect.

Any ideas on how to get it working? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Stupid post -

I haven't a notion about consoles but bought the girlfriend a PS3 yesterday. We connected it using the Composite Cable and SCART plug to two different TV's but couldn't seem to get it working. The TV's we used were AOC and an LG.

We connected the controller using USB cable and pressed the PS button as instructed. When we did this the console stayed on but we couldn't find the picture on any source on the TV. If we didn't press the PS button the console just turned itself off every 10 seconds or so. I'm hoping we're doing something stupid and it's not the console that's not working right.

Edit: Just bought a cheap HDMI cable and connected it and it worked right away. Love how the only cable supplied with the thing doesn't allow you to use it.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mcgrailg

Hi Lads,

wondering if you can give me a help with something, downloaded Fifa Ultimate Team add on for the ps3 yesterday and tried to go into the tournament section and the machine froze on me so i to switched it off and rebooted it, now the when i start the ps3 it wont even recognise that the Fifa disk is in the machine, and cant get it to boot up, and i have to take the disk out to play any of the games saved onto the hard drive. Would you know how do i go about fixing it ? Dont really want to clear all the Fifa saves off the machine,

Thanks for your help,

Gary

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Digitalism

Hi, ive got a windows 7 laptop and am wanting to set up sharing with my ps3. Ive tried everything, ive followed all the steps in WMP12 sharing and nothing is working.

ALso, on the media sharing devices list, I removed all the devices in that list thinking that would fix it, but no devices are showing up now, anyone know how I can get those devices to show up again? In that list where you select "All networks".

any help guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭polarbearhead

hi,im playing in an online league on fifa10.im having problems connecting to some players due to having a nat type 3 setting.im with irish broadband.can anyone walk me thru in simple language how to change the nat type or advise me on what to do.thanks

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

hi,im playing in an online league on fifa10.im having problems connecting to some players due to having a nat type 3 setting.im with irish broadband.can anyone walk me thru in simple language how to change the nat type or advise me on what to do.thanks

I was with IBB before and online gaming became impossible.
    Was with IBB for a few years with no problems, but then the service slowly degraded to a point where it was useless.
    I ended up changing to UPC.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭polarbearhead

thanks.gonna try a few things first but its such a pain.ill prob end up changin!

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

Alright lads having an issue with my playstation 3. After the last firmware update when I play a game then it'll be ok for 40 mins or so then the music will stop. I can play on for a bit but then,say in fifa 10, an animation is loaded for a free kick then it will freeze. I'm not sure its the update could be a hardware thing.

I can play dvds alright but can't test out any blue rey since I don't own any. Anybody seen anything like this before?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,993 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I made the switch to HDMI audio the other week but when I play a track from the PS3 HDD I seem to be missing the first second or half second of it.

Anyone else ever get that?

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

noodler wrote: »
    I made the switch to HDMI audio the other week but when I play a track from the PS3 HDD I seem to be missing the first second or half second of it.

Anyone else ever get that?

We're on our own. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭darkmark79

Digitalism wrote: »
    Hi, ive got a windows 7 laptop and am wanting to set up sharing with my ps3. Ive tried everything, ive followed all the steps in WMP12 sharing and nothing is working.

ALso, on the media sharing devices list, I removed all the devices in that list thinking that would fix it, but no devices are showing up now, anyone know how I can get those devices to show up again? In that list where you select "All networks".

any help guys?

Hi i had the same problem till i came across this little app-http://www.connectify.me/
    Its easy to set up and works well i have o2 mobile broadband and play mw2 with few problems.

Advertisement