Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How old is your mobile phone?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Mine is about 2 months old. I drop my phone a couple of times a day, because Im late for everything. So they generally never last much longer than 2-3 months. The camera is already fcuked on it, so nearly new phone time again.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Every 6 to 12 months.. Gotsta have the newest and best phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

iPhone gotten in March of this year.. so not old!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I've had my phone about 6 months, was a Christmas present from the ex!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭burgess1

I've had a Nokia 6300 (I think) for about 3 months now. I only had the one before that for a few months. It was a sliding Nokia and I managed to get sand between the 2 parts. Had a Sony Ericsson K800i for over a year before that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

have it a few months, will probably change it, it's a samsung with touch sensitive buttons that do things whenever they feel like it

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

MooseJam wrote:
    have it a few months, will probably change it, it's a samsung with touch sensitive buttons that do things whenever they feel like it
    Think my girlfriend has the same phone.. tis an oddity alright!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I end up with a new phone every few months, I just don't seem to have any luck with them, once a phone comes into my posession, it's days are numbered! :p

Toots85 wrote: »
    I end up with a new phone every few months, I just don't seem to have any luck with them, once a phone comes into my posession, it's days are numbered! :p

You sound exactly like one of my friends! He is terrible with phones (and anything electrical to be honest), they always just seem to break on him :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

2 months. I'm a techie and 'need' to have the latest cause i just love it. Even if i don't use all of the features i have, its the fact that i can use all them features! Nokia e51, i have always stuck with nokia, best quality imo.

• Advertisement

i have always stuck with nokia, best quality imo.

I used to think that aswell, I had plenty of phones, I used to change my phone every couple of months and always stuck with Nokia, but changed to Sony Ericcson about a year and a half ago and it was a great decision!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

BrynW wrote: »
    I used to think that aswell, I had plenty of phones, I used to change my phone every couple of months and always stuck with Nokia, but changed to Sony Ericcson about a year and a half ago and it was a great decision!
    Ya i had a motorolla a while back, didn't like it one bit and i kind of said, never again. I must experiment with other
    Makes and models alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

My current phone (Nokia 6030), have that for 3-6 months but a Nokia 6310i that I am not using is about 8-10 years old. I have older ones at my house in Ireland though, some working and others not. G'wan the brick! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

I started this thread in June 2008. Today I have my phone for exactly 8 years, and it is still going strong. In the intervening period since the thread started I've seen friends and family go through many phones. Many of those have been fancy phones with all the bells and whistles that can do everything bar make the tea. They get a few months out of them. Mine, as you will see from the first post, is a Nokia 3510i.

Many times since I've got it I've thought about upgrading, but every time I've come back to the conclusion that the one I have works fine, so why change? It does the two things that I and most people want to do with their phones, namely talk and text. If the phone I have can last 8 years, and still go strong, why get a new fantastic phone that won't last a year? They can't be that good if that is all they last. As it enters its 9th year, you can keep all your fancy phones because I am sticking with what I have. For all the wonderful things the modern phones can do, they don't make them like they used to.

So, as the thread asks, how old is your mobile phone, and to add extra questions, how often do you change it and how many have you had in the last 8 years, or even just the lifetime of this thread?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

had mine for 9 years and recently got my second phone :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I have the iPhone4 since Marchand its a brilliant phone, forgot my old phone in the back of a taxi at Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi Airport on my deaprture for home and it was a case of try and track down the phone or miss my flight home, I figured that buying a new flight would be more expensive and left it at that. First time losing a phone in my eleven years as a Mobile phone customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Just over a year but I bought it second hand so it's probably about 2 years old. It's an iPhone 3gs and it is bomb proof, I have dropped it hundreds of times, has had 3 smashed screens and been submerged in a puddle of water. The only thing thats wrong is the headphone jack is gone a but wonky and needs to be replaced, which will cost me nothing as I will do it myself as with the screens. What a phone....:cool::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

I think its about 2 years old now. I only change my phone if its broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Nearing 18 months now on my launch day HTC Desire. The only reason I haven't upgraded yet is there hasn't been any major leap yet in specs to tempt me to upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ms. Pingui

My current phone is nearly a year old which is the longest a phone has lasted me in good while! I keep an old block of a nokia as a spare though. That thing is invincible! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Thread bump means most of the posts are quite out of date.

Mines coal fired.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

had mine for 9 years and recently got my second phone :D

You and I are a rare breed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Statistician

I have an original palm pre that's nearly two years old.
    I was going to upgrade, but instead bought an extra thick battery.

My phone can now last nearly a week on a charge. So glad I didn't upgrade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

I got a new 3 phone this week. My previous phone was a Nokia 1600. I think the guy at 3 was pretty shocked when I told him. I think I got it in 2002:D:D Have never had a problem with it in all those years and only got the new one as I like the 3 deal.

My new phone is scary. Still learning how to use the damn thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

My phone's 3 years old but I have to get a new one soon, the space button stops working randomly and people keep getting.messages.like.this.from.me.

I can't stand touch screens or any sort of fancy high tech phone, I'm quite happy if my phone texts, calls and takes decent pictures, and if it has a Music Player then that's a plus too. I don't want flip phone or a slide phone either, just a plain old block of a phone'll do me.

I've had 3 phones, the first one I had for 5 years, the next one for a year, and the one I have now. The one that only lasted a year was a flip phone, and the flip bit broke off so I had no screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I've got an iphone 3Gs however old that is... 2 years I think...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

rossie1977 wrote: »
    have had my current phone since november 2004 and no plans to change it unless it blows up or gets lost.

i had gone through at least 5 handsets in the 2 years previous to getting my current model so i am a bit wary of stupid malfunctioning phones :mad:

that was june 2008 when i wrote that and nearly 3.5 years later i STILL have the same phone, just over a month now shy of 7 years, battery is pretty much f**ked on her now

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I have my Nokia E51 bout 3 years now, still going perfectly. I'll probably trade up to a smart phone in the coming months.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭The House Of Wolves

I've had mine for nearly two years, the Samsung Tocco Lite - yes the one every has. It's built like a brick! Never broke on me, despite multiple flinging it across the rooms, dropping in the the dogs water bowl, falling out of my bag and skidding across the road, etc. The only concession that it's getting old is that I've had to duc-tape the back cover onto it!
    It's a touch screen which I kinda hate but hey, it gets the job done and I don't want for another phone, much better things to be buying with a hundred quid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

I've had my current phone for two years now, it's a slide QWERTY pad but the screws keep coming lose so I'll probably just buy the cheapest one in meteor soon!

My favourite phone ever was the Motorola ROKR E8 but it got stolen by some scumbag that crashed a party at. It really was the best phone ever :(

Advertisement