Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mind Blowing Curries! :)

Options
  • 14-01-2016 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Hey! :)

I love a good curry, especially ones you can make yourself from scratch, making your own paste and all the exciting bits and taking as long as it takes to get it perfect. I was hoping people could recommed specific curry recipes they tried and just thought WOW! I try and make one every Sunday while I have time and most turn out fine, quite nice but not mind blowing but then you get the odd ones that are just A.M.A.Z.I.N.G!!!

For me the (Indonesian) Kalamantan Curry by Atul Kochhar [Curries of the World] and the (Malaysian) Beef Rendang by the Hairy Bikers blew my socks off. Just gorgeous and ones you would love to make for friends and family!

Anyone mind sharing their best kept secrets!

Thanks in advance! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Oh great thread. There's always seems to be something missing in mine

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Banbha32

Rfrip wrote: »
    Oh great thread. There's always seems to be something missing in mine

Thats it! I follow the recipes to a tee because i trust the authors and i dont want to upset the balance of sweet/sour/savoury/spice etc... and its such a let down when after spending a good hour or two putting it all together its just ...... grand :/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Curry Addict's curries in the Cooking Club are exceptionally popular:

Malaysian Chicken/Beef Curry

Burmese/North Thai Chicken Curry

Indian Restaurant curries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I can vouch for the Malaysian Curry! I didn't think I could make curry that tasted *that* good until I tried it, it's fab.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,378 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

This a really good curry.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=62317462

I also recently made a chicken jalfrezi from the BBC website, and it was delicious - http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/5852/chicken-jalfrezi

I have a few absolute belters photocopied from an ancient curry cookbook (like, didn't even have photos in it!) that a former colleague loaned me before, will type them out next time I'm on, about to dash now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭parttime

Also from the Hairy Bikers, Extra Special Beef Biryani.
    Unbelievable. By far the best I've tried.
    A lot of work, but worth every minute!

Don't leave out the eggs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,378 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Patww79 wrote: »

Any chance of the recipes? Especially the vindaloo.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭sareer

I tried posting a recipe but it says I am too new of a user so you can google sailus food and the "simple andhra chicken curry" and that is my favorite :) for beef, any recipe from Kerala rocks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Banbha32

Aw thanks everyone this is exactly what im after!! :) i will try all of the above! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭sareer

Here a truly mind blowing recipe for mutton (and I am usually not a fan of mutton at all!) from one of my Indian friends -

In 1kg Mutton
    5 finely chopped onion
    5-6 finely chopped green chilies
    3 tomatoes to be finely grinded in grinder
    2-3 cloves, 2-3 cardamoms
    1 small tin of fresh cream
    3-4 spoons of curd
    2-3 spoons of ginger garlic paste
    MDH Meat masala
    Marinate the mutton for 2-3 hours in curd with pinch of salt and 1 spoons of ginger garlic paste

In pressure cooker, pour 4-5 spoons of refined oil, once the oil is holt, put ½ a spoon of cumin, cloves and cardamom for 2-3 mins, and then put chopped onions and green chilies, once the onion color turns brown/ or dark pink, then add ginger garlic paste, salt (as per your taste), red chillie powder(1/2 a spoon), coriander leaf powder (1-2 spoon), aamchur (dry mango) powder (1/2 a spoon), garam masala (1 spoon) and MDH mutton masala (maybe 2-3 spoons) and pinch of turmeric powder.

Keep frying/stiring them for 15 mins, and then add mutton and keep it for another 20 mins till the time onion and other ingredients perfectly sticks to the mutton, after that add tomato puree/ or paste stir it for 15 mins and then add fresh cream (add more or less based on the color you want in the gravy, i.e. more the cream gravy color becomes lighter and slightly sweeter), keep stirring the mutton for ½ an hour till the time you see the oil and mutton gravy gets separated (use your good judgment). The entire process should be done on dim gas

After this process, add water to the gravy (depending on how thick/light gravy you need), then cover the cookers lid and on high gas give steam for 2-3 times and then on dim gas give steam for 2-3 times and then close the gas, after the entire steam is out your mutton is ready.

Suggestion: please take fresh mutton and preferably, mutton's front shoulder part and few ribs pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Seriously that recipe looks amazing. Can't wait to try it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Don't confine your repertoire to Indian & Asian curries; (South) African curries are gorgeous as well. The fruit mellows out the spices so you get a blast of heat but no lengthy burn. Apples/sultanas/mangoes are the fruits I tend to use. Hard greenish mangoes from Dunnes etc work well in the curry and you can use a ripe mango, red onion and some banana to make a side dish. Seafood or chicken go in after the sauce has simmered for quite a while while stewing cuts of lamb or beef go in at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭RJohnG

Dubl07 wrote: »
    Don't confine your repertoire to Indian & Asian curries; (South) African curries are gorgeous as well. The fruit mellows out the spices so you get a blast of heat but no lengthy burn. Apples/sultanas/mangoes are the fruits I tend to use. Hard greenish mangoes from Dunnes etc work well in the curry and you can use a ripe mango, red onion and some banana to make a side dish. Seafood or chicken go in after the sauce has simmered for quite a while while stewing cuts of lamb or beef go in at the start.

Sounds great.
    It's amazing how certain fruits can add so much taste to a curry. In a Chinese curry try adding some mango chutney or pineapple pieces in the sauce. Tastes great.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭surball

Faith wrote: »
    Curry Addict's curries in the Cooking Club are exceptionally popular:

Malaysian Chicken/Beef Curry

I just made this one this evening. Really exceptional. The black cardamom is a fantastic smelling and tasting ingredient.

Advertisement