Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTA & DTT Combo Boxes

• 07-06-2011 6:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

I am seeking advise as to which combo box to buy. confused.gif I am intrigued by the many many options available on the market. In particular the Smart CX61. Also from reading other threads here I came across the Ferguson Ariva 120 which also grabs my attention mainly due to the attractive pricing.

I have no particular interest in MHEG5 middleware, yet i do on other features/functionality of combo boxes, such as the CX61's ability to record both DTT & Sat at same time. (Due to Box design and that Irish DTT channels are Transmitted currently over the 1 Mux?) I do know recording Sat while watching Sat too depends on what channels are on that particular transponder.

I have followed the trend and cancelled my over priced S*y Subscription in favour of a FTA & DTT solution, So my main query I suppose is Will this new Ferguson Ariva 120 combo box have the same features as the CX61 regarding PVR timeshift function and Sat recording and DTT recording at the same time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭shinobi

willyb007 wrote: »
    So my main query I suppose is Will this new Ferguson Ariva 120 combo box have the same features as the CX61 regarding PVR timeshift function and Sat recording and DTT recording at the same time?

Time shift on the Ariva120 doesn't seem to be a problem according to the Manual. It's €60 cheaper than the CX61, so what extra functionality do you get out of the CX61? FTA sat channels will only have a now/next EPG in both cases so as for recording Satellite and Terrestrial at the same time would probably be very unlikely. I've been following the Thread on the Ariva 120 and looks to be a good box for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭willyb007

shinobi wrote: »
    Time shift on the Ariva120 doesn't seem to be a problem according to the Manual. It's €60 cheaper than the CX61, so what extra functionality do you get out of the CX61? FTA sat channels will only have a now/next EPG in both cases so as for recording Satellite and Terrestrial at the same time would probably be very unlikely. I've been following the Thread on the Ariva 120 and looks to be a good box for the money.

Thank You shinobi for your reply, Yes I have been following this thread with keen interest too. I was aware of the EPG problems for Sat on combo boxes frown.gif

Looking at the video on the tvtrade website the CX61 was able to Record the DTT & Sat, DTT & DTT, & Sat &Sat(Limited albeit) at the same time and seems to be the only one on the market to be able to do so? The Ariva 120 being new was hoping it would have a similar feature :)

Either way Ariva 120 box is excellent value for money and will look into purchasing one for my father which will adequately suit his needs.

Yes was trying to download the manual last nite but my stupid internet connection would not allow me! Will try again

Advertisement