Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Minister Shatter and Commissioner Callinan should both resign in disgrace

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,536 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

I'm waiting to see the amount of leeway the Govt give the judge to investigate the recording issue, whom he can call to put questions to, and what powers are given him to force answers out of reluctant witnesses. I wonder will he use the GSOC to get hold of pertinent info, like documents it might hold, without running into the Data Protection Act.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭JRant

As I've said before, courage is contagious - it's always the hardest for the first whistleblowers as they have no examples to follow and are sailing completely into the unknown - now that whistleblowers have come forward and finally been vindicated, it's my belief that more will surely follow.

Agreed. The idea that the police ombudsman cannot investigate the chief is ridiculous, as is the idea that they can't open an investigation to look for evidence of something unless they already have concrete evidence (bugging of their offices and the gov't / Garda response), as is the idea that they be expected to involve the DOJ in everything when it's quite clear that the DOJ's trustworthiness and closeness to the commissioner / force in general is up for debate.

GSOC needs to be made fully independent and allowed to do full investigations without its motives being questioned. Almost two months later I'm still absolutely astounded that they were subject to such a vicious assault for discovering evidence of a very, very serious potential crime being committed against them and for not informing those who in any reasonable person's mind might have either been involved in the bugging, or tipped off those who were involved.

GSOC cannot possibly be expected to function under such conditions.

I hope you are right regarding more WB's coming forward.

It's clear now that AGS need a much stronger GSOC to have any sort of checks and balances in the system. I have very little faith that the current government have any appetite to implement the required changes though.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

JRant wrote: »
    I hope you are right regarding more WB's coming forward.

It's clear now that AGS need a much stronger GSOC to have any sort of checks and balances in the system. I have very little faith that the current government have any appetite to implement the required changes though.

Is Shatter still there???

Also, I've heard much twittering on, about how brilliant a legislator Shatter is.

Can anyone find a list of legislation he has brought in during his tenure?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

sopretty wrote: »
    Also, I've heard much twittering on, about how brilliant a legislator Shatter is.

Can anyone find a list of legislation he has brought in during his tenure?

he's at his desk 16hrs a day supposedly

one of our hardest working ministers apparently

I'd like to know how he stacks up on accomplishments too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭fr3d12

he's at his desk 16hrs a day supposedly

one of our hardest working ministers apparently

I'd like to know how he stacks up on accomplishments too

Sure he's so busy he doesn't have time to open the mail.

fr3d12 wrote: »

..or stop at random alcohol checkpoints

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Candy Crush is sooo addictive. I wonder what level he's at.

The thing is, when I think about it, I can't think of any recent legislation introduced that I 'LIKE'.

I'd love to see a list.

The thing is, when I think about it, I can't think of any recent legislation introduced that I 'LIKE'.

I'd love to see a list.
    http://www.alanshatter.ie/category/legislation/

That's from his own official site.

• Advertisement

http://www.alanshatter.ie/category/legislation/

That's from his own official site.

not much there
    some stuff about santa

and the gards reducing crime?....can that be true?

not much there
    some stuff about santa

and the gards reducing crime?....can that be true?

Ah, the Judges remuneration act?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,429 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I don't think i'm being deliberately harsh on the Garda at all. They're all part of the same game, keep your mouth shut, look after your pals and promotions a cert. open your mouth on anything and you can expect to have rats nailed to your door, physically assaulted and hounded out of the force.

The problem as i see it is that they've been a law onto themselves for far to long and have had no oversight whatsoever. Give GSOC some real teeth to go after the corruption instead of all these stupid inquiries that never lead to anything.

You make them sound a bit like the alleged republican and loyalists who didn't conform to the rules. Maybe you want them left lying on border roads for not conforming. It used to happen a lot around my way. Thankfully that day is over.

You make them sound a bit like the alleged republican and loyalists who didn't conform to the rules. Maybe you want them left lying on border roads for not conforming. It used to happen a lot around my way. Thankfully that day is over.

JRant is right though.
    Right up until the early 90's AGS either failed to investigate allegations of clerical abuse or covered it up. Thankfully that day is over.

JRant is right though.
    Right up until the early 90's AGS either failed to investigate allegations of clerical abuse or covered it up. Thankfully that day is over.

Maybe but I doubt that they all knew or covered up. There's 10,000 or so of them. Like every other case it's the guilty who should be punished. JRant seems to have it in for all, guilty and innocent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Conas

A Nazi symbol, powder, and now the bomb disposal unit has been called in.

Fair play to him. Now we'll all feel sorry for him, and he'll go about his business as our Minister for Justice as if nothing ever happened. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Maybe but I doubt that they all knew or covered up. There's 10,000 or so of them. Like every other case it's the guilty who should be punished. JRant seems to have it in for all, guilty and innocent.

I'm 59. Years of age that is, that means born in 1954. We do not have any connections with any guard. We fear them.

As I was growing up, I used to be routinely threatened to be put into care or sent to Bessboro, and I was never going to be a pregnant girl, I was also threatened to be sent to Lota or Upton.

WHY?

My parents knew, KNEW, and they had NO association with the guards at all. Just add this into your consideration material.

Red Nissan wrote: »
    I'm 59. Years of age that is, that means born in 1954. We do not have any connections with any guard. We fear them.

As I was growing up, I used to be routinely threatened to be put into care or sent to Bessboro, and I was never going to be a pregnant girl, I was also threatened to be sent to Lota or Upton.

WHY?

My parents knew, KNEW, and they had NO association with the guards at all. Just add this into your consideration material.

Sorry I don't understand your post.
    I feel for you though. Nobody should be threatened wrongly by anybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Far from it, I don't have it in for anybody. All I want is for those who are charged with upholding the law to actually do their job and uphold it. Is that to much to ask for.

Why is calling for GSOC to be given more powers "having it in for AGS"?

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

....WTF? O_o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Shady Tady

Far from it, I don't have it in for anybody. All I want is for those who are charged with upholding the law to actually do their job and uphold it. Is that to much to ask for.

Horse ****e! You've basically blackened every member of the force and painted them all with the same brush. Some of the finest people you will ever meet are members of AGS and contribute greatly to society both on and off duty. Maybe you would care to give us a percentage of members you feel are doing their job!

Shady Tady wrote: »
    Horse ****e! You've basically blackened every member of the force and painted them all with the same brush. Some of the finest people you will ever meet are members of AGS and contribute greatly to society both on and off duty. Maybe you would care to give us a percentage of members you feel are doing their job!

Well, I have to say, you're not contributing greatly to either society or the perception of AGS. I wonder are they aware that you're acting as spokesperson?

Well, I have to say, you're not contributing greatly to either society or the perception of AGS. I wonder are they aware that you're acting as spokesperson?

Am I not entitled to an opinion, or is that only confined to critics

Am I not entitled to an opinion, or is that only confined to critics

Oh, you're quite entitled to an opinion. That said, most of your contributions on here have been rantings, ravings, LOL's, insults and little more.

Oh, you're quite entitled to an opinion. That said, most of your contributions on here have been rantings, ravings, LOL's, insults and little more.

We'd make a great couple you and me!

We'd make a great couple you and me!

Add deflection to your tactics. Anything but substantive arguments. :cool:

Add deflection to your tactics. Anything but substantive arguments. :cool:

:)

:)

Doesn't work in society and it certainly doesn't wash with a Judge my dear. ;)

We all want fair play, for everybody.
    You did generalise a lot I felt.
    There's good and bad in all walks of life.

• Advertisement

Doesn't work in society and it certainly doesn't wash with a Judge my dear. ;)

Neither does brandishing a whole police force of 13.000 as corrupt. That's the sort of thing a recently released sex offender might want to do after joining boards.ie and becoming a keyboard warrior venting their anger at being put away and pretending they are a pillar of society. There is corruption but it's no worse that any other police force, not accepting there are good people in the force shows you have little credibility.

Advertisement