Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rental Cars! - Do you get looked after??

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Cadillac CTS & DTS ( Several times )

Lincoln Town Car

Infiniti Q50 ?

Toyota Land Cruiser

Land Rover

Buicks several models including a 7 seater SUV

Mercedes Benz 8 seater Mini Van several golfing trips

Mazda mx5

Ford Galaxy

Subaru Forrester , Subaru Imprezza

and the list goes on..................

The worst car ever was a Fiat Panda in Crete, which required a push start downhill every morning , once it started , continued running well for rest of the day. Though one day I did a Basil Faulty and promised to give the car a damn good trashing !!!!! LOL:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Alfa Brera, Alfa GT
    Lexus GX470

Worst was a Kia Rio.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Best was a Camaro convertible in Vegas. No Stangs available

Worst......i've got selective memory syndrome.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I'm on my back over to the U.K. this morning and just got the email from Hertz saying that there's an E220 SE 7G Auto waiting for me!!

Unfortunately I'll only have it for about 6 hours

Hard times!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Our honeymoon in the States, in car terms, was like an evolution from the '90s to the present day.

We started out with a Chevy Aveo in California - windy-up windows and no central locking!!! :eek:

Next up was a Kia Amanti in Vegas... roomy and comfortable, with all the toys, but completely lacking in character.

We destroyed half the front bumper of it against a deer in Utah, and then limped on with one working headlight (and fading daylight) to our destination.

The nearest place to replace her was in Flagstaff, AZ, 180 miles away, so we got up early and plodded along. We got a lovely Chevy Impala, big, all-American, comfortable, all the toys once again, and just a way nicer car than the Kia.

We headed to Pennsylvania for the last few days and imagine my delight at Pittsburgh airport to be handed the keys to a gleaming Ford Taurus. I thought I'd been given the Space Shuttle! :D

I reckon it's still the nicest car I've ever driven. Being a 2010 model, it's definitely the newest... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Jude13

Had a Merc C class and we couldn't fit our luggage in the boot so some had to go on the back seat. Lovely car other wise, that was in the UK.

I then flew to Ireland and got given a Volvo 60 which just about had the boot space to fit the luggage but was no where near as nice to drive as the c class.

On we went to Cannes where I got given a BMW 3 series, diesel m spec thingy. Fit all the stuff in the boot, it went like the clappers and was by far the best to drive, especially on the cost road to Monaco. I did however manage to grind the car off a pillar in a basement carpark. It went un-noticed by the guy taking the car back in a dark Nice multi storey and I have not heard a word since.

I'm on my back over to the U.K. this morning and just got the email from Hertz saying that there's an E220 SE 7G Auto waiting for me

So I got into the E Class this morning and it only had 5 miles on the clock!

In fact Hertz Man had about 6-7 brand new mercy in the bay's this morning!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 574 ✭✭✭18MonthsaSlave

This is the time of year for new hire cars. Whenever I've hired in March/April in Germany they've had new cars waiting for me.

U.K. bound again this morning and just got the email from Hertz that I have an ML 350 AMG Sport waiting for me!

Happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Booked a Focus through Hertz in the US yesterday. Was given a Mitsubishi Mirage. I think they offered me something in the class below in an attempt to up sell me. I wasn't in the mood to query what I was given, but it was pitiful in comparison to a Focus. Not that it matters, but I did feel cheated by Hertz.

I don't rent much other than budget, but I was really impressed by a Passat once.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

rented out a hummer before

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

Booked a Mustang Convertible a few years back with Hertz in Boston but found it was a little too small for three of us and luggage so the following morning they changed it for a Ford Expedition - or the death star as we called it. 11MPG at 55MPH ;-)

Best fun was a Mini Cooper S from Avis that we took to the British Formula 1 Grand Prix in 2003/4 - the roads from the track back to our friends house in Milton Keynes are all twisty and loads of roundabouts etc.

Heading to Texas on Monday and have a Dodge RAM Quad Cab lined up - when in Rome....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Nicest was probably the Merc E320 I was given one say due to a mix-up in where my own car was being serviced (they booked it into their workshop 40 mins further up the road)
    Worst.. little piddly bubble shape Micra :(

All this talk of Stangs and such has me very jealous! I'd love to get my hands on a new A6 for a weekend though just to see what it's like (can buy it then 6 years or so later :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm an Emerald Club member with National in Amerikay
    Very handy. No need for desk, just go and pick any car you like in their lot and drive off.
    I usually go for Dodge cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,256 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Nicest was probably the Merc E320 I was given one say due to a mix-up in where my own car was being serviced (they booked it into their workshop 40 mins further up the road)
    Worst.. little piddly bubble shape Micra :(

All this talk of Stangs and such has me very jealous! I'd love to get my hands on a new A6 for a weekend though just to see what it's like (can buy it then 6 years or so later :p)

Your own one is a better car than 90 percent of the new ones given that the county is full of front drive 2.0 tdi versions.

mickdw wrote: »
    Your own one is a better car than 90 percent of the new ones given that the county is full of front drive 2.0 tdi versions.

You have a point... It's becoming increasingly hard to find one with the spec and engine I have in mine, which is why I keep thinking I'll have to move to an A8 next to retain both.

I don't think I'm quite at the Merc level yet, although I'm 40 this year so who knows! :p

You have a point... It's becoming increasingly hard to find one with the spec and engine I have in mine, which is why I keep thinking I'll have to move to an A8 next to retain both.

I don't think I'm quite at the Merc level yet, although I'm 40 this year so who knows! :p

Don't be daft. You can have a merc at any age. Just go for one with a bit of performance. Biggest problem is trying to get a dealer to actually talk you when you are not a 60 year old man in a suit.

mickdw wrote: »
    Don't be daft. You can have a merc at any age. Just go for one with a bit of performance. Biggest problem is trying to get a dealer to actually talk you when you are not a 60 year old man in a suit.

There's definitely a big difference though.. the E320 was extremely comfortable but definitely more leisurely about things.. Like driving a barge. :)

The A6 Quattro I have though is definitely the more sporty/performance oriented of the two.

Given the choice I'll probably stick with Audi a while yet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

I've never gotten anything over and above what I ordered/paid for. I've been the very first renter of a car a couple of times, which is nice. And often I'll ask what they have, and pick my favourite or maybe the newest. Yet to get a free upgrade though.
    E92 M3 and C6 Corvette ZHZ are the two best though. M3 more enjoyable because of the Autobahn, can't go nuts in Florida in a 'vette, they all drive to the speed limit. :(

Worst was the boxy shape Fiesta. Horrible car outside and in, and to top it off had none of the cigarette lighter sockets wired up. It was a cost saving for Ford at the time, you had to buy the smokers package to get them wired up. Couldn't charge the Sat Nav so took it back for another car. Got a Punto. Not as refined in the suspension department, but the rest of the car was much nicer.

• Advertisement

There's definitely a big difference though.. the E320 was extremely comfortable but definitely more leisurely about things.. Like driving a barge. :)

The A6 Quattro I have though is definitely the more sporty/performance oriented of the two.

Given the choice I'll probably stick with Audi a while yet
    Get an E350 cdi with airmatic suspension. Super comfort but can do the back road drive very well too whereas the normal mercedes so is abit boat like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭skibum

Couple of years ago we booked a golf / megane to be collected at Toulouse airport, was pleasantly surprised to be given the keys of a new VW Tiguan 2.0 tdi 4motion automatic with all the toys, made the most of it over the three weeks we were there.

The next year we also booked a golf / megane from Barcelona airport and was given a brand new opel zafira..

was the only time's we ever got an upgrade from what we booked.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭edburg

Only had 2 cars, take my own now.

Toyota aygo (?) - anything bigger than a handbag had to go on back seat, drove all right to be fair and had a bottomless pit for a fuel tank the lcd gauge didn't move in days punting around Alps. Filled tank as though gauge was knackered and only took about 8 euros lol

Then had Alfa mito sport diesel thingy 1.6, was very good to be fair no issues and quite punchy. Did ask for mini sport but they never had one although it was advertised for bergamo according to the desk, desk also was fairly firm we checked car over at Hut. Chap obviously didn't get on with geezer there which was not surprising when got there. Guy had holey polo shirt to small, tracky bottoms and shiney shoe's just threw me keys hahaha

Think that was avis Toyota was eurocar, Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

U.K. bound again this morning and just got the email from Hertz that I have an ML 350 AMG Sport waiting for me!

Happy days.
    Hertz in Manchester Airport know how to look after regulars, noticed from your OP you mentioned there. I rent there quite a bit, always book Octavia or similar and have had Range Rover Sport twice, ML 350 AMG, Volvo XC90, A4 TDI S-Line, and a few other higher end Volvo saloons. Birmingham, by comparison, I usually end up driving out in a Yeti by way of a free 'upgrade' they give to all Five Star or higher members.

fullstop wrote: »
    Hertz in Manchester Airport know how to look after regulars, noticed from your OP you mentioned there. I rent there quite a bit, always book Octavia or similar and have had Range Rover Sport twice, ML 350 AMG, Volvo XC90, A4 TDI S-Line, and a few other higher end Volvo saloons. Birmingham, by comparison, I usually end up driving out in a Yeti by way of a free 'upgrade' they give to all Five Star or higher members.

They could keep their yeti. Upgrade my ass.

fullstop wrote: »

I always thought Gatwick Hertz was the best, but Manchester is top dog hands down,

Pity I've already given the bus back,

I'll be over again in about 2 weeks for a few days, so here's hoping they give me the E350 Coupe!!

Was back in England again this week and Hertz Gatwick gave me an E220, which I have to say, after having about 6/7 of them now at this stage, is a really nice car.

Was also over in London about 3 weeks ago for a wedding, so I used my Hertz points, and they gave me an Audi A4 S-Line (the first manual rental I've had in about 3 years).

Prior to that, since I last posted, I've had another 2 ML 350 AMG's, an XC70 D5 Lux & a Jeep Cherokee LTD SOL.

Nice surprise to get a rental in Ireland with a little bit of spec in it!!

Bluetooth, parking sensors & cruise control (all of which you would have assumed would be standard in any Audi, but not so for Iriah rental car companies)

27225280356_b1740157f5_c.jpg

Advertisement