Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AREMT offshore paramedic course

• 19-05-2013 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all,

I'm thinking of doing this AREMT offshore paramedic course but was hoping that maybe someone here that has done it already might be able to say weather its a good one to do or not?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 apc9000

Hi Morgan

I have just finished doing the AREMT Paramedic course with a company in Ireland called Remote Medicine Ireland (just google them).

I can happily tell you it was a great course. One of the best things about it is you can do all of the study at home around your normal work schedule (I was working full time so this was fantastic for me. We had guys from all over the world show up for the coure because of this). With the company I did it with, they monitered what you were studying,when you did it and were able to offer constant help and advice along the way.
    Once the distance learning was done I then had to spend 3 weeks of hands on training and then the final exams.

Dont get me wrong, it was tough!! You have to be pretty disciplined about the study, but I must admit the guys at Remote Medicine Ireland were in constant contact. What I found really good about them was they have a dedicated paramedic that looks after everyone doing the distance learning so help is always available. I was always worried about being left to go it alone with study so this really appealed to me.

I dont know what your circumstances are but the AREMT course is a really good way to get into the industry from what I have seen so far. I am heading to Johannesburg in 3 weeks for clinical placements, after that I am going to Liberia for some more work and theres a possiblity of a job at the end of it all.

All I can say is go for it. PM me if you want any more info on AREMT or even if you want me to put you in touch with the guys at Remote Medicine Ireland (they still keep in contact even though ive finished the course!!!)

Stay safe.

Andy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Is it PHECC accredited?
    Who sorts your placements?

Hey Seven

No, AREMT is not a PHECC accredited paramedic course, or a UK paramedic course. This is an industry course, meaning it leads to work in the offshore, mining, security sectors etc. Again, I dont know your own circumstances but if you know about PHECC i'll guess your Irish?!!!

However..... if you do the AREMT Paramedic course, you can get reciprocity and be a PHECC registered EMT in Ireland. I'm not sure about reciprocity in the rest of the world but I can find out. PM me if your outside Ireland and need to know.

The beauty of Remote Medicine Ireland is they sort all the placements for you. You pay for your own flights/accomodation etc but they already have a set up for clinical placements, tried and tested. You just tell them when you want to go, book your flights, job done!!. In Johannesburg its with a company called ER24. If you look on the Remote Medicine Ireland website they offer more options for clinical placements, I chose Jo'burg 'cos I know people that have done placements there already. They give you a proper shift pattern, uniform, and experience in all of their stations so the skys the limit.

As I said to OP, if you want more info then PM me.

Stay safe.

Andy

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭BoonDoc

That AREMT Paramedic course can be used to skip the first year of the two year UK paramedic course at one of the unis across the pond.

Also, there is talk about a second year add on to the AREMT Paramedic course that will certify to the UK HCPC registered paramedic. The guys in Wexford are sorting things out for students to get their UK registry paramedic. Once you have that cert you can easily get PHECC Paramedic via the reciprocity route.

Both the AREMT and the UK paramedic over two years will still be cheaper than 20k not including travel costs. Placements will be in South Africa and the UK.

Nice to know that there are options out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 ruairit

I am thinking of doing the aremt in wexford, i know after that you have to do 2 safety courses in Donegal before you are allowed onto an oil rig,which costs €1300. Has any body got a job on a rig or heard of somebody getting a job on an oil rig with the aremt.
    Most rigs want medics with some experience.

• Advertisement

ruairit wrote: »
    I am thinking of doing the aremt in wexford, i know after that you have to do 2 safety courses in Donegal before you are allowed onto an oil rig,which costs €1300. Has any body got a job on a rig or heard of somebody getting a job on an oil rig with the aremt.
    Most rigs want medics with some experience.

Hey Ruairit

As you will se from my previous posts in this thread, I have just finished doing the AREMT course with Remote Medicine Ireland (RMI) in Wexford, still cant praise them enough!!

As for your question, the honest truth is you would not likely get a job on an oil rig with JUST an AREMT certificate and your BOSIET/HUET cousrses done. You would need an Offshore Medic Course and some experience behind you aswell.

The great thing about doing the Industry Paramedic course with RMI is they are affiliated with ExMed in the UK, who offer the offshore medic course (most people believe this is the industry standard for offshore work).

Is there a reason you are looking at oil rigs? If you would consider other remote site work such as mines or expeditions then you can get work with the Industry Paramedic qualification from RMI. I know people who have done this. This is also a great way to build up experience for a CV if you want to go offshore at a later date.

Hope this helps and PM me if you want any more info.

Stay safe.

Andy

A UK paramedic or a PHECC Advanced Paramedic will not get work on the oil rigs. You have to have the UK Offshore Medics Course, the sea survival course and helicopter underwater escape course. Yes those last two can be found in Donegal.

In order to attend the UK Offshore Medics Course you need to be a registered paramedic, nurse or doctor. Now it is important to know that the PHECC paramedic does not qualify for this. You have to be an ALS Paramedic with IV and Intubation skills in order to work outside of Ireland.

I ran into a guy who was a PHECC Paramedic. He was employed in Iraq as an EMT. Not really justified but that was the only level that he qualified for.

If you want work on the oil rigs you need to be an ALS Paramedic, get some experience and then apply to the Offshore Medics Course.

It is well worth the money. Jobs are £250/hr starting out. I have a mate getting a lot more than that on the oil rigs. He was a well paid UK nurse getting £50k+ a year and he quit to be on the oil rigs. Plus he only works 6 months every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 ruairit

So if i go and get the AREMT, i still wont be able to get a job with that. Would I be wasting my money going for the AREMT, It doesnt have to be rig work that i am looking for, just something with good pay.

There are jobs out there with the AREMT Paramedic. They usually start around £250 per day. Most of those jobs are seismic test sites in remote locations looking for minerals. Once you get a year of experience you can take the Offshore Medics Course.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Emmett1

Hi I am a nurse working here in Ireland. I have 13 years experience. I would like to do some work on the oil rigs/mines. Just to get a bit of extra cash. How do I go about doing this. Where can you apply. Or do I have to do another course. I have a Diploma and H Degree in Nursing.

• Advertisement

Emmett1 wrote: »
    Hi I am a nurse working here in Ireland. I have 13 years experience. I would like to do some work on the oil rigs/mines. Just to get a bit of extra cash. How do I go about doing this. Where can you apply. Or do I have to do another course. I have a Diploma and H Degree in Nursing.

Hi Emmett,

As a nurse, you can work as an offshore medic once you have the Offshore Medics Course certified through the UK HSE.

You can get this four week course from Exmed, Nottingham or AberMed in Scotland. I would not suggest that you use any other provider of the course.

For some jobs you will need to be a qualified paramedic. Not an Irish Paramedic but an ALS level paramedic equal to the AP here. The guys in Wexford can sort out a paramedic qualification easy enough and it would be easier for you as a qualified nurse.

The bottom line is this: Get your Offshore Medics Course, your HUET, BOSIET courses up in Donegal. Once you have those three you can apply for oil rig jobs.

I would suggest that you start applying with FrontierMEDEX. They are the best with giving newly qualified medics a job.

Hope this helps, mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 corkemt

Hi guys, im new to boards but having read all these posts, it seems quite interesting. :-) Im a qualified EMT-B for the past 4 years and working with a private ambulance company since. I applied for the NAS/HSE Student paramedic programme and got news that I was successful trough the final stage a while back and placed around 70's 80's on panel. (Sorry trying to avoid stating exact number) This career is all so exciting for me and i love going to work every day. Get such a trill from it even though it hasnt reached its peak yet due to level of qualifiaction!! :-) But one thing is for sure the second I qualify as HSE paramedic I intend in give the HSE back the two year following finishing course which have to be done and then I want to get the hell out of this country as fast as possible!!!! I would love to travel the world for two or three years with qualification but id spend more time doing tranisions from irish to other country which isnt always going to work!!!! :-(

Basically the reason I am writing up here now is because I know there is a very large possibility that the USA with all its different states and requirments are not going to acknowledge the irish paramedic qualification (PHECC EMT-P)!!!??? or even if there is a transision period for qualification (when got) to be recogonised in the USA or certain states??????? :-(( And I am very confused with the whole lot!! I also am finding it hard to comprehend how it would work out with PHECC and the points which have to be build up over each year to keep registration active for when returning home to work??? Finally since I will possible be waiting about a year to even start the NAS EMT-P programme here, I just want to know would it be worth my while doing the AREMT course?? Would I have a better chance of getting work in the USA with the AREMT???? Or could I do another transition from EMT-P to AREMT in USA??? I know im talking about 4 years before im ready to move (thats if I do the HSE EMT-P course which i have wanted so bad for the past five years) but I really just need to have my head screwed on and be preparing. Fact is that paramedics wage in USA is meant to be pittins so could be left having to go to mines etc to earn enough!!! Im very confused, please help??? Very last question is, Is it average three weeks on in mines etc and two weeks off or how does it work..?? Sorry for the overload. Have wanted to go to the USA to live there for years even if it does only last two years but waiting for the HSE has kept me at a stand stead!!! now that I got it im even more confused than ever before whether to do EMT-P and AREMT or just EMT-P or any other options??? sorry :-( Please dont be giving out!!!! :-S Thanks in advance, corkemt

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Medic475

corkemt wrote: »
    Hi guys, im new to boards but having read all these posts, it seems quite interesting. :-) Im a qualified EMT-B for the past 4 years and working with a private ambulance company since. I applied for the NAS/HSE Student paramedic programme and got news that I was successful trough the final stage a while back and placed around 70's 80's on panel. (Sorry trying to avoid stating exact number) This career is all so exciting for me and i love going to work every day. Get such a trill from it even though it hasnt reached its peak yet due to level of qualifiaction!! :-) But one thing is for sure the second I qualify as HSE paramedic I intend in give the HSE back the two year following finishing course which have to be done and then I want to get the hell out of this country as fast as possible!!!! I would love to travel the world for two or three years with qualification but id spend more time doing tranisions from irish to other country which isnt always going to work!!!! :-(

Basically the reason I am writing up here now is because I know there is a very large possibility that the USA with all its different states and requirments are not going to acknowledge the irish paramedic qualification (PHECC EMT-P)!!!??? or even if there is a transision period for qualification (when got) to be recogonised in the USA or certain states??????? :-(( And I am very confused with the whole lot!! I also am finding it hard to comprehend how it would work out with PHECC and the points which have to be build up over each year to keep registration active for when returning home to work??? Finally since I will possible be waiting about a year to even start the NAS EMT-P programme here, I just want to know would it be worth my while doing the AREMT course?? Would I have a better chance of getting work in the USA with the AREMT???? Or could I do another transition from EMT-P to AREMT in USA??? I know im talking about 4 years before im ready to move (thats if I do the HSE EMT-P course which i have wanted so bad for the past five years) but I really just need to have my head screwed on and be preparing. Fact is that paramedics wage in USA is meant to be pittins so could be left having to go to mines etc to earn enough!!! Im very confused, please help??? Very last question is, Is it average three weeks on in mines etc and two weeks off or how does it work..?? Sorry for the overload. Have wanted to go to the USA to live there for years even if it does only last two years but waiting for the HSE has kept me at a stand stead!!! now that I got it im even more confused than ever before whether to do EMT-P and AREMT or just EMT-P or any other options??? sorry :-( Please dont be giving out!!!! :-S Thanks in advance, corkemt

How's the craic? After reading your story can I just ask would you not just save your money, go to the USA and work as an EMT there and after a while train to be a Paramedic? There are some Ambulance services over there that actually train you up after you've worked for them for a whole! Have you looked at that option? I don't know anything about the mines work etc so can't offer you any advice there I'm afraid.
    I was interested in going to the US a few years ago and found a great company that would take me on with my Irish EMT cert, do a few conversion courses etc, few hours training and then work fully as an EMT with them. Then after 18 months (I think) they would train me up to Paramedic level! By the way the US is crying out for EMTs at the minute!

Medic475 wrote: »
    There are some Ambulance services over there that actually train you up after you've worked for them for a whole!

Yeah, that is a pipe dream. Sure there are companies who may offer that but it comes down to money. Why pay to train an EMT when there are out of work paramedic willing to take the job?

corkemt, you have options mate.
    The first thing to realise is that a good starting wage for US paramedics is about $18 per hour. You are not going to get rich or buy a house with that income. The top end for firefighter paramedics is about $70k which is still less than APs get here with far less than the 20 years of experience to get that $70k in the US.

You don't have to work in the mines. There are plenty of jobs on oil rigs, expeditions, security, maritime transit and in the Middle East. A mate of mine just got a job on Abu Dabi for €106k per year with a flat and his family. Oh, and that is tax free.

You asked about AREMT. That is a qualification that can get you work and is asked for in the energy and security industry. You can get that through the Wexford guys here in Ireland and the UK guys who go to Guatemala.

I would highly suggest that you look at the US paramedic. You can do that here in Ireland as well. There are now a few companies who offer the NREMT Paramedic in Ireland but the guys in Wexford are half the price of others. The two Dublin coys have not put boots on the ground yet so who knows. I even think that there is another NREMT Paramedic coy opening up on the west coast as well.

You need to think about what you want. If you can get into the HSE then you have 30 years of a career and one of the best paying jobs for paramedics. Even the UK doesn't pay their APs as well as we do.

If it is about money then the HSE is good. The offshore industry is good as well. If is about job satisfaction and you don't want to spend the rest of your career hauling drunks and old people around then the offshore industry will be the better option.

Good luck to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Medic475

BoonDoc wrote: »
    Yeah, that is a pipe dream. Sure there are companies who may offer that but it comes down to money. Why pay to train an EMT when there are out of work paramedic willing to take the job?

corkemt, you have options mate.
    The first thing to realise is that a good starting wage for US paramedics is about $18 per hour. You are not going to get rich or buy a house with that income. The top end for firefighter paramedics is about $70k which is still less than APs get here with far less than the 20 years of experience to get that $70k in the US.

You don't have to work in the mines. There are plenty of jobs on oil rigs, expeditions, security, maritime transit and in the Middle East. A mate of mine just got a job on Abu Dabi for €106k per year with a flat and his family. Oh, and that is tax free.

You asked about AREMT. That is a qualification that can get you work and is asked for in the energy and security industry. You can get that through the Wexford guys here in Ireland and the UK guys who go to Guatemala.

I would highly suggest that you look at the US paramedic. You can do that here in Ireland as well. There are now a few companies who offer the NREMT Paramedic in Ireland but the guys in Wexford are half the price of others. The two Dublin coys have not put boots on the ground yet so who knows. I even think that there is another NREMT Paramedic coy opening up on the west coast as well.

You need to think about what you want. If you can get into the HSE then you have 30 years of a career and one of the best paying jobs for paramedics. Even the UK doesn't pay their APs as well as we do.

If it is about money then the HSE is good. The offshore industry is good as well. If is about job satisfaction and you don't want to spend the rest of your career hauling drunks and old people around then the offshore industry will be the better option.

Good luck to you.

Pipe dream is it yeah? I've done my research and have looked into it believe me. How do you know there's Paramedics out of work over there? Even if there is it doesn't mean they're going to just take any job that's going!!

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭GoProGaming

Medic475 wrote: »
    Pipe dream is it yeah? I've done my research and have looked into it believe me. How do you know there's Paramedics out of work over there? Even if there is it doesn't mean they're going to just take any job that's going!!

if you browse any of the u.s emergency services/ medic forums you'll see that they are quite the opposite of crying out for emt's and its really hard to get hired in most states.

just wondering, do you have your visa sorted out yet or already have residency with a work permit? thats the biggest hurdle to jump.

ive also looked into america as an option in great detail. www.emtlife.com is a great source of info

Medic475 and BoonDoc, Thank you both for your help, having thought it over, I've decided to change careers for a non medical world wide accepted position to assist my C.V. for the U.S.A in about 9 months. Put off Irish Paramedics until very last class and come home then. That way I will have researched all the openings in U.S.A. The last class could very well be summer 2016 if not more, three years from now??? Ya?? since the Sept 2010 recruitment panel still hasen't been fully used up yet and wont be until January 2014 or further, not to mind thinking of this new panel. Honestly cheers for that, I do love my job but life is for living!! :):)

Cheers,

Miss corkemt

if you browse any of the u.s emergency services/ medic forums you'll see that they are quite the opposite of crying out for emt's and its really hard to get hired in most states.

just wondering, do you have your visa sorted out yet or already have residency with a work permit? thats the biggest hurdle to jump.

ive also looked into america as an option in great detail. www.emtlife.com is a great source of info

I have done some resesarch and there is crap loads of different VISA's. From what I can see you have to be out of college max two years to get the full one year working VISA. Even if you are one day over that two years, it can become quiet differcult. But I must do some more research. I have family who can claim me in if all comes to all but id prefer not to go that route even though I know they would do it in a heart and a half. I wouldnt mind getting the three month working VISA if can be got and/or looking for sponsership.

Any suggestions in relation to VISA's etc?

Cheers for your comment

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Actual Paramedic

A UK paramedic or a PHECC Advanced Paramedic will not get work on the oil rigs. You have to have the UK Offshore Medics Course, the sea survival course and helicopter underwater escape course. Yes those last two can be found in Donegal.

In order to attend the UK Offshore Medics Course you need to be a registered paramedic, nurse or doctor. Now it is important to know that the PHECC paramedic does not qualify for this. You have to be an ALS Paramedic with IV and Intubation skills in order to work outside of Ireland.

So is the AREMT an ALS paramedic?

apc9000 wrote: »
    Hey Seven

No, AREMT is not a PHECC accredited paramedic course, or a UK paramedic course. This is an industry course, meaning it leads to work in the offshore, mining, security sectors etc. Again, I dont know your own circumstances but if you know about PHECC i'll guess your Irish?!!!

However..... if you do the AREMT Paramedic course, you can get reciprocity and be a PHECC registered EMT in Ireland. I'm not sure about reciprocity in the rest of the world but I can find out. PM me if your outside Ireland and need to know.

I gather then that PHECC recognise the course as EMT level so and not paramedic here

Hi Emmett,

As a nurse, you can work as an offshore medic once you have the Offshore Medics Course certified through the UK HSE.

You can get this four week course from Exmed, Nottingham or AberMed in Scotland. I would not suggest that you use any other provider of the course.

For some jobs you will need to be a qualified paramedic. Not an Irish Paramedic but an ALS level paramedic equal to the AP here. The guys in Wexford can sort out a paramedic qualification easy enough and it would be easier for you as a qualified nurse.

How so? Just transferring them across from a nurse? Just giving her a paramedic qualification? O is there a course to be done?

So is the AREMT an ALS paramedic?

How so? Just transferring them across from a nurse? Just giving her a paramedic qualification? O is there a course to be done?

Yes the AREMT paramedic is an ALS paramedic. ALL paramedics are ALS paramedics outside of Ireland and the PCP in Canada. When people say paramedic they usually are thinking about ALS level of skills.

I don't know anyone who will give a nurse a paramedic license without training and testing. Nursing and paramedic are completely different skill sets. Yes, both have medical training but the thinking and problem solving are different. Try putting a nurse into a MVC without a lot of kit and see how he does. He will struggle through it but he will not understand the kit nor the procedures.

The same goes for a paramedic in a nurses role. We do not have the skills to deal with bedside care in the wards. We do not have the benefit of a doctor nearby to bounce ideas and clinical decisions with. A paramedic would not do well in the wards.

So no, I can't imagine a paramedic walking into a nursing degree. I cannot imagine a nurse walking into a paramedic degree.

That being said. A nurse attending a paramedic course would find it easier than someone who never learned medicine at all.
    A paramedic gaining a nursing degree doesn't have to redo all of the courses that he already learned. The Americans have a paramedic to BSc Nursing degree that can be done in about 18 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Actual Paramedic

I am well aware of what paramedic and the term entails and the training worldwide.

Does this Industry Paramedic gain reciprocation anywhere in the world?

Ive just done the Industry Paramedic course with the Wexford guys. They have affiliation with UK Universities, including Middlesex. I now have a Level 4 certificate of higher education worth 120 credits. This means that I can skip the first year of the BSc in Paramedical Science.

The course was fantastic. Its not a city based ambulance course but geared specifically for those who want to work in industry settings. There are jobs available worldwide for Industry Paramedics and they did a great job preparing me for joining the sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

apc9000 wrote: »
    Ive just done the Industry Paramedic course with the Wexford guys. They have affiliation with UK Universities, including Middlesex. I now have a Level 4 certificate of higher education worth 120 credits. This means that I can skip the first year of the BSc in Paramedical Science.

The course was fantastic. Its not a city based ambulance course but geared specifically for those who want to work in industry settings. There are jobs available worldwide for Industry Paramedics and they did a great job preparing me for joining the sector.

Can i ask how much and how long was this course
    its ok i just checked the website

Its €6500 for those that havent looked at website. 8 Months online and 3 weeks testing. You also have to complete over 400 hours of clinical placement. This sounds a lot but I did my placement in South Africa and managed to clock up 300 hours in 3 weeks and the final 100 hours in Moldova. Fantastic time in both. Not sure if I can give the web address but just google Merit-Training and you'll find them.

Cant recomend them enough and if anyone out there wants any more info feel free to PM me.

Advertisement