Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

5 Years And We Will Have Cloned Mammoths (now with added dodo!)

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Not an issue thanks to the medical profession acting unethically :(
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34826186/
    The most dramatic findings were in China, where 46 percent of births reviewed were C-sections — a quarter of them not medically necessary, the report said.

The WHO, which reviewed nearly 110,000 births across Asia in 2007-2008, found 27 percent were done under the knife, partially motivated by hospitals eager to make more money.

That mirrors similar results reported by WHO in 2005 from Latin America, where 35 percent of pregnant women surveyed were delivering by C-section.

30 percent of U.S. births are C-sections
    In the U.S., where C-sections are at an all-time high of 31 percent, the surgery is often performed on older expectant mothers, during multiple births or simply because patients request it or doctors fear malpractice lawsuits.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Not an issue thanks to the medical profession acting unethically :(
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34826186/

Shocking findings indeed but captain but hopefully it wouldnt be the medical profession doing the cloning. I would say biologists have and had a lot to answer for in the past also.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Shocking findings indeed but captain but hopefully it wouldnt be the medical profession doing the cloning. I would say biologists have and had a lot to answer for in the past also.
    I was actually referring to the number of c sections done for reasons other than necessity

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0530/maternity.html :eek:
    At St Luke's Hospital in Kilkenny, over 43% of first-time mothers have a Caesarean section birth. The lowest rate is seen at the National Maternity Hospital in Holles Street in Dublin, where just over 22% of first-time mothers have Caesarean sections.

I was actually referring to the number of c sections done for reasons other than necessity

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0530/maternity.html :eek:

Sorry man I read it wrong. The amount of hysterectomies performed by a certain surgeon is also one for concern :(

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Sorry man I read it wrong. The amount of hysterectomies performed by a certain surgeon is also one for concern :(
    slightly sickened , I had thought we had left the dark ages* behind

*Michael Neary

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

Ok, I took some time to read this calmly, and seriously, dudes? They say "After the mammoth is born, we will examine its ecology and genes to study why the species became extinct and other factors."

How the hell are they going to study its "ecology"? They may be able to study its anatomy, physiology etc, but its ecology? They would need the original Pleistocene ecosystem for that- they would need more mammoths, and they would need all the creatures that lived alongside mammoths. One single, miserable clone is not going to bring back the "ecology" of the mammoth. And I seriously doubt they are going to release it to the Siberian forests to study its new ecology there...

I also don´t understand how the clone would help understand why the species became extinct, but what do I know? I'm no expert in any fields.

Adam Khor wrote: »
    Ok, I took some time to read this calmly, and seriously, dudes? They say "After the mammoth is born, we will examine its ecology and genes to study why the species became extinct and other factors."

How the hell are they going to study its "ecology"? They may be able to study its anatomy, physiology etc, but its ecology? They would need the original Pleistocene ecosystem for that- they would need more mammoths, and they would need all the creatures that lived alongside mammoths. One single, miserable clone is not going to bring back the "ecology" of the mammoth. And I seriously doubt they are going to release it to the Siberian forests to study its new ecology there...

I also don´t understand how the clone would help understand why the species became extinct, but what do I know? I'm no expert in any fields.

I never clocked that myself Adam. Its a weird one alright but then Im no ecologist either.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,132 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Probably a bad translation, they might not have been speaking english at the conference or whatever it was.

Advertisement