Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Depression

• 19-09-2013 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

okay, so over the past while I feel as if I am depressed. I want to tell my parents and friends so they know but I am really worried about it and was just wondering if anybody has any tips for getting it out there?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

okay, so over the past while I feel as if I am depressed. I want to tell my parents and friends so they know but I am really worried about it and was just wondering if anybody has any tips for getting it out there?

Well it's not easy. I had to leave my studies for 6 months because of depression, and it felt weird explaining to people why I was going on medical leave.

But the thing is, until you face it head on, nothing will change. You are obviously aware of your depression, which is brilliant. Now you jut need to know that it's nothing to be ashamed of. The attitude in Ireland towards mental health is improving in leaps and bounds, so it's less of an issue now that 5 or 10 years ago.

What I did was during conversation work it in. For example, if depression comes up on tv, talk about your experience. Sit down with someone you can really trust and say "I think I'm depressed", and just talk. Talk talk talk. I can't stress that enough. There is no shame in having depression, 1 in 4 people in this country have some kind of mental health issue. And once someone has the strength to talk about it, you'd be surprised how many of your friends and family share your experience.

I would also recommend going to your GP if you are feeling depressed. I struggled for months before I did and if I could do one thing different it is that I would have gone sooner. It's like anything else. If your leg was hurting you'd see a doctor. Why not if your brain or self is hurting?

Best of luck OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Why does it have to be "Out there" ?

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

First thing is first. Please go to your GP they will have plenty of advice to help you!

I understand family but do all your friends need to know? I have/had GAD and ended up in hospital last year but only 3 of my close friends know. The rest didn't need to know and I told them a different story or not at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 iPancakes x

thanks guys for the advice :) and tbh I have very few friends so when I meant about telling my friends I mean about two people :) ha I have told one friend and it went well so I will see a doctor and talk it out :)

Advertisement