Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RTE 2 Broadcasting in HD now

• 27-05-2011 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Gipo3

RTE 2 now broadcasting in HD, HD dog on screen.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Gipo3

6EB60B0246A54EFFB3E294FBC01BBC07-0000327676-0002340499-00500L-30FDC4F1AD1E4A0EB34A080DADB2B956.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Gipo3 wrote: »
    RTE 2 now broadcasting in HD, HD dog on screen.

i thought it was up scaled to HD

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Gipo3

HD logo means true HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Maybe they are testing. I doubt Noddy was shot in HD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I'd be surprised if the newer episodes weren't. The Noddy of today looks very different to the Noddy of my youth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

They are playing with the aspect ratio also - aren't cartoons great:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Is this a separate digital channel like "Sky1 HD" or is it the normal RTE2 channel (102 UPC)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Simulcast in SD on the former test channel, now RTEjr. No doubt in the afternoon the RTEjr repeats this morning.

http://www.techtir.ie/blogs/watty/rtehd-rtejr-launch

• It's ordinary rte2 on saorview only.

Are transparent small dogs much more expensive or what??!!

Thats as equal an eyesore as the ordinary dog..in fact it's worse.

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    Is this a separate digital channel like "Sky1 HD" or is it the normal RTE2 channel (102 UPC)

yes and no.

Saorview is the Digital replacement of Analogue TV in Ireland. Because it's a newer system than Sky, UPC or UK Freeview, the "entry level" is same as "Freeview HD", "Freesat HD", "sky HD" and "UPC HD".

So there is no separate HD an SD channels. RTE2 is HD transmission even when non-HD content. In the next few years TV3, TG4 and RTE1 will go HD transmission. There will be no simultaneous non-HD version.

Adaptor set-boxes down convert the HD to SCART for old Tellys. Newer TVs use HD over HDMI and the newest TVs work direct off aerial with no setbox.

Official Site www.saorview.ie
    Unofficial www.saortv.info (covers UK Free TV also)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    Technically, it's the same channel as on UPC 102, however UPC are only transmitting RTE2 in SD because they are not receiving the HD feed from RTE.

In order to carry RTE2 HD, UPC will have to assign it to another channel to accommodate their non-HD customers as the non-HD consumer boxes are not capable of receiving/downscaling HD feeds.

At present, it's only available to people on Saorview using either a set-top box or a Saorview compatible TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭darth_maul

hope they fix the aspect ratio on it,

also RTE1 +1 is now showing in the scanning screen but not displaying on the EPG only RTE jnr

This is the first indication that they can/will change the aspect ratio on the HD channel. Up to now every programme was broadcast in 16:9, even 4:3 cartoons like the Simpsons. Hopefully now they will broadcast each programme in its correct aspect ratio.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 currandes

I bought a set of cat's ears for my tv in Lidl's. does anybody have these cat's ears and can they be used for saorview?

Give them to a poor cat.

Unless your TV room window is in view of Transmitter mast it's very unreliable.

About Aerials for Saorview
    http://www.techtir.ie/radio-tv/uhf-aerials

Coverage of DTT / Saorview
    http://coverage.rtenl.ie/RTENLcoveragechecker.php

http://maps.techtir.com/ireland-dtt.htm

Those Lidl ones are no better than €2 aerial. Most people need a roof aerial. Some can use an attic aerial.

A proportion of people can use an indoor aerial. If the signal is good enough for reliable indoor reception then nearly any indoor aerial works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

fat-tony wrote: »
    This is the first indication that they can/will change the aspect ratio on the HD channel. Up to now every programme was broadcast in 16:9, even 4:3 cartoons like the Simpsons. Hopefully now they will broadcast each programme in its correct aspect ratio.

Good to see this. CH4 HD correctly formats 4:3 material like the Simpsons within the 16:9 frame.

currandes wrote: »
    I bought a set of cat's ears for my tv in Lidl's. does anybody have these cat's ears and can they be used for saorview?
    If your TV is Saorview compliant, then effectively any kind of aerial will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

seamus wrote: »
    If your TV is Saorview compliant, then effectively any kind of aerial will work.

If only that were true:D

OK, apologies, I say that from my comfy house in full view of the 3 rock transmitter where my €3 indoor aerial gives me rock solid HD content.

Not everyone is in range of a powerful transmitter - most will require an attic or roof aerial.

• Advertisement

Timmy Time is in HD;)

seamus wrote: »
    OK, apologies, I say that from my comfy house in full view of the 3 rock transmitter where my €3 indoor aerial gives me rock solid HD content.

Best signal for City dwellings in Ireland, but fewest number of terrestrial viewers. Annoying to people in Mayo, Cork, Sligo, Kerry, West Cork, Donegal that wanted TV3 (not at all in many cases) or TG4 (different aerial and poor or not all all).

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭seanp_25

Sounds good. So the HD DOG is there, what the EPG info?

Does this say whether something is real HD or upscaled SD? This was a requirement also.

What about the DOG itself, is that upscaled? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Good to see that anything available is being shown in HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Good to see that anything available is being shown in HD.

Some of it doesn't look that great to be honest.

A lot to do with the quality of the original material, which is often then upscaled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

Programme called "Waybuloo" on at the moment. It's in upscaled SD. DOG indicating HD.

160711.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭bob11

Mayo Exile wrote: »
    Programme called "Waybuloo" on at the moment. It's in upscaled SD.

How can you tell that it upscaled SD ?? Can you see from the stream info somewhere ?

See my post #22. Everything else has been upscaled. Pity that they're leaving the HD logo on all the time. Maybe they will sort that out later?

Perhaps they are DOG testing... Or trying out their new playout system and forgot to put the HD DOG back in its kennel.

You can only know if it's up-scaled if you know what the original is and can compare it. The Signal tells you nothing.

It's complicated by fact RTE's upscale box is better than your own TV and that HD->SD -> Upscale -> HD is better than Sd->HD or than
    HD->SD NTSC/30 -> SD PAL/25 -> HD

• Advertisement

bob11 wrote: »
    How can you tell that it upscaled SD ?? Can you see from the stream info somewhere ?
    Nothing in the stream - just the Mark I eyeball test;)
    If you can't tell, then either your TV is not HD, or not big enough or you're sitting too far away.l:D

Advertisement