Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Copying from a DVR

• 07-01-2011 3:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,962 ✭✭✭✭

Is there anyway to get saved programs off a UPC+ box? We're getting Sky in over the weekend and my mam is looking to take some of the programs off it onto a USB.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,412 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Is there anyway to get saved programs off a UPC+ box? We're getting Sky in over the weekend and my mam is looking to take some of the programs off it onto a USB.
    No, and even if you could they're all copy protected anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 nocantona085

the only way is wit a dvd or a video recorder

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭zg3409

Yes you can with DVD or VCR recorders. However beware there can be a slight catch. If you have the TV connected using HDMI lead, you need to disconnect this first and only use SCART leads. The HDMI and scart do not both work at the same time.

For a VCR it would go:

UPC ---- VCR Scart in VCR Scart out
    TV.

You would then need to select the correct cart input on the VCR (say channel AV1) and select the correct scart on the TV using the TV remote (say aV1)

At this point you should see the UPC signal via the VCR. Then you can record what you see. You would need to play every recording on the box and record on the VCR. There is no easy way to get the recordings on to USB.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭testarossa40

zg3409 wrote: »
    Yes you can with DVD or VCR recorders. However beware there can be a slight catch. If you have the TV connected using HDMI lead, you need to disconnect this first and only use SCART leads. The HDMI and scart do not both work at the same time.

For a VCR it would go:

UPC ---- VCR Scart in VCR Scart out
    TV.

You would then need to select the correct cart input on the VCR (say channel AV1) and select the correct scart on the TV using the TV remote (say aV1)

At this point you should see the UPC signal via the VCR. Then you can record what you see. You would need to play every recording on the box and record on the VCR. There is no easy way to get the recordings on to USB.
    Really wish Mods would make a sticky out of this post... But then the thread-count rate would probably halve. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4 dave_oxo

You can if you play them from the UPC box to A DVD recorder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Bodhran

I managed to get a programme that I recorded on UPC box on to my computer using Movie Maker and then was able to burn it to DVD. It involved using varoius Scart/phono adapters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I've been meaning to try this for a while - get something like this to split the HDMI out and hook it up to my PC with this and a scart to rca cable, and use software to record it.
    I might give it a shot in the next week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 w0bbles

I'd imagine if you take the hard drive out of the box (not as difficult as it sounds) and buy a HDD docking station similar to this:
    https://www.tomtop.com/p-c1091eu.html?currency=EUR&Warehouse=CN&aid=gplaiecd&mid=10000016502&utm_source=SEM&utm_medium=Google+PLA&utm_campaign=TT_PLA_IE_CD&utm_content=3707&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIt6fLlLSE5QIVmoXVCh2aeA_xEAQYASABEgIFofD_BwE

You can buy these docking stations in stores like (Maplin) or PC world but they would be cheaper online.
    you can store all your data on to your PC, and if needed reinstall your HDD.
    I personally haven't tried this but I Hope it helps.

Always make sure you disconnect all electrical devices from the mains before removing any covers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭leche solara

w0bbles wrote: »
    I'd imagine if you take the hard drive out of the box (not as difficult as it sounds) and buy a HDD docking station similar to this:
    https://www.tomtop.com/p-c1091eu.html?currency=EUR&Warehouse=CN&aid=gplaiecd&mid=10000016502&utm_source=SEM&utm_medium=Google+PLA&utm_campaign=TT_PLA_IE_CD&utm_content=3707&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIt6fLlLSE5QIVmoXVCh2aeA_xEAQYASABEgIFofD_BwE

You can buy these docking stations in stores like (Maplin) or PC world but they would be cheaper online.

Always make sure you disconnect all electrical devices from the mains before removing any covers :)

I think after 6 and a half years they might have got the issue resolved

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭Vic_08

w0bbles wrote: »

Zombie thread not withstanding it is worth pointing out that this is not likely to work and the VM boxes remain the property of VM so dismantling them is a bit naughty.

The recordings are very likely to be encrypted and the disk may run a proprietary OS and format unreadable on a PC.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Its forgivable, because it’s a sticky (for reasonably good reasons) but we might close it. If any one wants to reply, they should do so through a mod

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement