Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Request for Mod

• 28-07-2012 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,909 ✭✭✭

Hi Mods / All,

Ehh, I didn't know where to ask, so just to request here.

Would it be possible to maybe clean up the main section of the games forum ?
    The page has become stagnant with the same threads taking up half of the front page for the last 3-4 months.

Could we maybe have the likes of Dayz / Diablo3 / Skyrim / LoL etc moved to their own section ?
    Skyrim came out back in October and is still on the main page, yet there is a "Role Playing - Elder Scrolls" section in the Games forum.

Similarly, DayZ could easily be placed in Shooter , or the ARMA part in "Tactical Sim"

You could even argue, that some of these games warrant their own subsections as they take up so much room and discussion (trying to read through some of the threads is a nightmare, and many users posts/questions get lost - at least in a forum of their own it would be easier)

We have sections for games such as "Unreal / Half Life / Metal Gear solid" which don't even get near the amount of discussion time some of the above do.

Just a thought, as I'm sure I'm not the only one who gets bored seeing the same topics being the frontpage of the games section everyday.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,774 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If you ask me the forums for seperate series are a complete disaster unless they have active multiplayer aspects which is why they are discussion graveyards.

As for the same threads being on the front page, it's been a very dry summer in terms of new big releases so there's nothing new really to talk about. Create a new thread if you want to discuss something new.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Hawke

The stagnant boards should just be deleted and replaced with new boards for games. What the worst scenario, they are just as stagnant and can be deleted and moved back here? I think some should be at least deleted for the sake of cleaning up the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,909 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

The point though Retro, that the games I mentioned are the active games, so I don't think would suffer.
    Also, there are many aspect to each, so seperate thread creation on different topics of each game wouldn't be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,317 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Things are fine as they are. The reason people are talking about games because that's what they're playing now. You marginalise those threads by hiding them away and discussion dies, leaving you with empty forums.

If you talk away the things people are playing and talking about from the games forum, what are you left with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

the issue is that while there may be enough chatter about a certain game to keep its thread on the front page, there's rarely enough to keep a forum active. one thread is enough in the vast majority of cases

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Pleeeeeeaaaassssseeee don't put all those games in their own section. It would be a complete pain in the arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Jet Black

If only there was a ignore button for threads..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,078 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

You could always try and bump the topics you want discussed, or indeed start a new thread, if what you want isn't on the front page? If the people who want to talk about something don't actively try and encourage it, who will?

A handful of unwieldy megathreads for active games are infinitely better for the community, rather than the handful who lurk around the dedicated forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

One request would be to split Gaming Bargains into console and PC threads.

Would seriously help those who only console game and vice versa with PC gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,317 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

dmcg90 wrote: »

And would also be a pain for people like me who'd use both, not to mention would take up more space with another sticky.

I dunno, I mean I now people are always going to look at different ways that things could be better but for me, the Games forum is in a really good place now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

dmcg90 wrote: »

That is an very bad idea. I am PC gamer, but of there is some very good deal on some console game then I want to know about. I don't go to Xbox or ps3 forums.

Splitting forums is the worse idea ever. In my opinion there should be at least 1 thread on major game in "games" section, even of there is a separate forum for it.

For example: I don't play much minecraft anymore, and I don't go to minecraft forum as its pain in a hole with mobile phone to jump between forums. So I am missing out on new, mods, updates now. If there would be 1 thread for minecraft then I would jump in here and see what are lads doing and what's new in world of minecraft.
    Same goes to sc2, battlefield etc.
    Throwing those threads in to subforums only chops community and spreads it all over the place.
    We got it very good here now. One game and one thread about it, everyone honoring this rule and not making hundreds threads about same game. If you as me - fair play lads.

The problem is not old threads hanging out in first page. Problem is no new topics. It's summer. No new games, people on holidays etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

A couple of years back there had to be a massive consolidation of the games section because of all the pointless fragmentation that had occured, there's no point in sliding back to that

Less is more

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I think its kind of a good thing I used to spend all day on boards as there was loads going on in the Games section and both consoles forums with plenty of lively discussion.

When the merge was happening i tried to warn that it would kill the console forums and overload the games forum but got shot down. Now both console forums are ghost towns and bar 4 or 5 main threads in the game section everything else just gets pushed off the main page within a day.

At least it means i can now log onto boards and check in with the 3 threads that get replies and be finished and logged out again after 10 mins freeing up most of my day. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

i wonder what happened to "what we play in "insert month X"

those were great. for example i play tropico 4 and i would love to share some stuff about it and get others to give me some tips. i dont want to make a whole thread about it, but i could post it in that thread.
    its a nice reminder on other games you lost track off. "oh look, he is playing x game, i might give it a go too!" it was like a nice controlled off topic thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

why not just make a threaD? or post in the strategy forum, there's already a tropico 3 thread there iirc

--edit

alright, there's no thread

but make one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

The same sort of problem dominated the videogames board on 4chan and a separate board was set up for 'general' threads, so all of the general discussions focusing on popular games like Starcraft II, Team Fortress 2 etc had their own place for mega-threads dedicated to the discussion of one game or a specific franchise or genre (Survival horror general or DayZ/Arma general), whereas the regular board was reserved for everything else under the videogame spectrum that isn't considered a general thread.

Maybe this is a solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

No, no, no no no no no!

Why are some people obsessed with sectioning everything off into it's own little dark corner where nobody will ever see it? If anything, there are already too many forums and subforums....we don't need more. It just leads to dead threads because they are squirrelled away into places 90% of users don't visit.

You create a forum for a topic when there are a dozen threads about a particular subject and it starts to dominate everything else. That's when something warrants a forum. Not when you only haveone very active thread. That just makes something popular. We have one skyrim thread that covers everything about the game. It doesn't mean it deserves it's own forum.

We have a good thing going with people actively using the games forum and participating in active discussion. Leave it alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,909 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I would think Skyrim would be under Elder Scrolls.
    There are so many aspects to the game, and they all get lost in the mega-thread.
    E.g. , Best mods, best armour, help with certain missions etc.
    You post 1 question, come back later and there are 4 pages of stuff not concerning your question.

I didn't mean for "everything" and every game to have its own little corner, only the really popular ones that have active communities.

Perfect example is Battlefield 3 and Call of Duty.
    If they weren't in their own subforums, they would dominate the general games forum.
    Also, it would be impossible to have all their topics under 1 mega thread

Everyones different, It was just a suggestion. If the mods/community are happy with how it is then great, let's continue :)
    I was just opening it up for debate to see what the general consensus was, I didn't expect it to change with just me request.

Advertisement