Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Laptop

• 22-07-2012 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

Hi all looking to buy a new laptop as the one I have is giving me problems,

already had it repaired twice. Instead of throwing good money to fix it again

I'd rather just buy a new one.

Has anyone seen any special offers and or could they advise me what one to

get out of the following brands

Acer
    Advent
    Asus
    Compaq
    HP
    Lenovo
    Samsung
    Sony
    Toshiba
    Dell

Help much appreciated :D

Comments

A few questions:
    What's your budget?
    What will you use it for?
    Do you want to buy it online or in store?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

EDIT: What he said ^^^

You might want to say how much you're willing to spend and what you use it for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭JamesReeves

A few questions:
    What's your budget?
    What will you use it for?
    Do you want to buy it online or in store?

Mainly for college, and general internet usage, e.g. watching tv shows , films etc..

Am to be honest budget wise i'd say around 400-600 ish

and I'd be weary about buying it online, unless it was a great bargain, and that I wasn't going to get screwed over

For the uses you've mentioned, you don't need anything too hi-spec. If you were doing video editing or playing high res games then spec would be more important.
    Something like thishttp://www.harveynorman.ie/computing/computers/laptops/samsung-300e5.html (€500) should have everything you need. an i3 processor, 6Gb ram and 500Gb Hard-drive.
    I wouldn't spend too much, because you don't need it. In fact an iPad would probably fit your needs. But I would stick with the laptop, a lot more flexible and more bang for your buck.
    It might be worthwhile visiting your local pc store, and see if they have any special offers. There are plenty of people on this site, who would quickly tell you if you are getting a bargain or not. Also check out the laptop forum, lots of suggestions there for cheap laptops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭JamesReeves

For the uses you've mentioned, you don't need anything too hi-spec. If you were doing video editing or playing high res games then spec would be more important.
    Something like thishttp://www.harveynorman.ie/computing/computers/laptops/samsung-300e5.html (€500) should have everything you need. an i3 processor, 6Gb ram and 500Gb Hard-drive.
    I wouldn't spend too much, because you don't need it. In fact an iPad would probably fit your needs. But I would stick with the laptop, a lot more flexible and more bang for your buck.
    It might be worthwhile visiting your local pc store, and see if they have any special offers. There are plenty of people on this site, who would quickly tell you if you are getting a bargain or not. Also check out the laptop forum, lots of suggestions there for cheap laptops.

My mam has an Ipad .. i Hate it, it doesn't have flash :mad:

thanks for the info :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement