Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking To Start A Songwriting/Singing Group in Dublin

• 11-07-2011 6:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭

Hi All,

As the heading says,I'm thinking about starting a lyrical songwriting group in Dublin....

were maybe once a week or every 2 week's we can get together,showcase our work i have plenty of mic's in the rehearsal studio and you're more than welcome to sing if you want,this could also give people the chance to sing in front of people,making yourself more comfortable,and then the rest can offer advice/CONSTRUCTIVE criticism....

we could get together in a city centre location,or i have a rehearsal room in Dublin 1 that we could use,if thats the case maybe 1 or 2 euro per person a week?

if anyones interested or has any advice please give me a shout!

all ages welcome!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Interesting indeed... I'm hoping to turn my hand to songwriting again (as an adult!) in the near future, could be interested in this! Would be very much a novice, and not much of a performer though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6 EMMA_JVC

Im am v. interested.
    Im not much of a songwriter. In fact, just starting out really. I am a working singer tho, and would love to contribute.

When does it start?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 eoghanmcdonnell

Hey there

I've been looking for something to kinda motivate me to finish songs, count me in if you are going ahead with it

Cheers

Eoghan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Shane Mulligan

Hi All,

As the heading says,I'm thinking about starting a lyrical songwriting group in Dublin....

were maybe once a week or every 2 week's we can get together,showcase our work i have plenty of mic's in the rehearsal studio and you're more than welcome to sing if you want,this could also give people the chance to sing in front of people,making yourself more comfortable,and then the rest can offer advice/CONSTRUCTIVE criticism....

we could get together in a city centre location,or i have a rehearsal room in Dublin 1 that we could use,if thats the case maybe 1 or 2 euro per person a week?

all ages welcome!
    I would be very interested in getting involved. I have a lots of unfinished ideas and would like to get feed back and help.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭iMADEtheBBC

count me in if anything gets organized. weekly is a good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭TheFiveLamps

nice to see some interest!

would people prefer to meet in a pub and have a chat first and then maybe in a week or fortnights time we can get together and showcase some stuff etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 eoghanmcdonnell

nice to see some interest!

would people prefer to meet in a pub and have a chat first and then maybe in a week or fortnights time we can get together and showcase some stuff etc?

Good idea, i'm free weeknights after 8pm or can make sure i'm free on the weekend with some notice

well if you could all PM me what time and day/night would suit you and I can try find a common denominator!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 CANDYPINK40

Hello - wow - this is just want I'm looking for . I used to sing in a few bands when i was younger but miss it so much that i'd love to get back into it again. Have a jazzy voice but love all sorts of music - would love to come along. Pop me a mail if you have any more details
    Georgina

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Gaels

Ya, this sounds like a great idea, nice idea to meet up first and have a chat with people and see what everyones about and how it could work. I write songs but don't know what to do with them!
    Keep me posted. At the moment any evening suits me.
    G

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 EMMA_JVC

Hi, I already PM'd but Im out of Dublin for the next month or so. Hopefully catch you when I get back. Sounds great.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Musiconomist

Yeah, sounds like a bit of fun. Might even motivate me to finish a song or two. Let me know if it's going ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 GabrielCaetano

we are a collective arts centre in town (right near the turk's head) and it would greatly interest us to have this kind of events going on in there!

for more information check on http://exchangedublin.ie/

if you wanna know more, drop by on our open collective meetings every wednesday at 19:00

and count me in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Femalesinger

Hi All,

if anyones interested or has any advice please give me a shout

Hi there, I woould really love to take part in this. Sounds like exactly what I am looking for. Let me know when you have more info. Cheers, Ceili.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ucancallmeAl

i think its a great idea to meet like minded people and get sum decent feedback. please do give me a shout if your gonna get the ball rollin on this one:)

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Green Mile

I would like to get in this idea. Mingling with like-minded people can only be beneficial.
    K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Femalesinger

Hi All,

all ages welcome!
    Is this going ahead? Would love to be a part of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 KevinPaul

Have lots of songs but have never done anything with them, would be very interested in this. If it has gone ahead could I have details.
    Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Anything ever happen with this, no? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭redbug

sounds great, count me in!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Roisin25

Hi, that sounds like a really interesting idea, I love singing and have been trying to get back into a regular thing, would be free on some weekday evenings,thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Kyla Tomlinson

Hi,
    Not sure if this is still going ahead but I would love to meet with folks willing to have a bit of a banter with some songs. I sing and play the guitar-a little-but need to boost confidence. Just recently moved over to Dublin so would love to get going on some music sessions!
    Cheers,
    Kyla

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Frack

Hi all,

I really like this idea and would love to get this off the ground. The OP seems to have disappeared but I am more than willing to offer my sitting room (just off patrick street in town) on a weekday evening that would suit everyone. I could only accommodate max 6 people so if numbers were greater then we could ask a pub in town to give us their upstairs on a monday/tuesday evening if we buy a pint each (or soft drink....)

I play guitar and I sing and am just looking for a forum of like minded people to sing/play new songs for and get some constructive criticism and get better at it! If people would prefer it to be kept to just singing with no accompaniment i would be totally ok with that, just a little shy when i cant hide my voice behind an instrument!

Anyways, if anyone is really interested we could get this going say in two weeks time? I offer my place for say the 23rd Feb or else if people aren't comfortable going to a strangers house I could organize something else in the city, most likely a pub.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

Frack wrote: »

Anyways, if anyone is really interested we could get this going say in two weeks time? I offer my place for say the 23rd Feb or else if people aren't comfortable going to a strangers house I could organize something else in the city, most likely a pub.

I'll do it, even if it's just you and me :)

I need to get back into the habit of singing and playing in front of people.

PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭bobbaggio

I would be very interested, I have a bunch of stuff that needs tweaks and just anything that involves music, I'm interested really!

Frack wrote: »
    Hi all,

I really like this idea and would love to get this off the ground. The OP seems to have disappeared but I am more than willing to offer my sitting room (just off patrick street in town) on a weekday evening that would suit everyone. I could only accommodate max 6 people so if numbers were greater then we could ask a pub in town to give us their upstairs on a monday/tuesday evening if we buy a pint each (or soft drink....)

I play guitar and I sing and am just looking for a forum of like minded people to sing/play new songs for and get some constructive criticism and get better at it! If people would prefer it to be kept to just singing with no accompaniment i would be totally ok with that, just a little shy when i cant hide my voice behind an instrument!

Hey,we no longer have our rehearsal studio so couldnt hold it there im afraid.

i wouldnt mind a pub in the city centre or somewhere that suits everyone who's interested.

im currently taking a songwriting course and find even just sitting around talking with others about songwriting and songwriters motivates you a bit more and makes you more enthusiastic.

if it's going ahead i'd still be interested and more than willing to help organise and contact people.

let me know what suits..

Hey,we no longer have our rehearsal studio so couldnt hold it there im afraid.

I haven't sung in public in a long time - and you can make a real balls of it if you're not ready. I liked the idea of playing with some singer/songwriters who are in the same boat - without the pressure of a public performance. To get over the bumps and chokes.

After that - performing in front of a more public audience becomes easier. Otherwise you're courting disaster.

i wouldnt mind a pub in the city centre or somewhere that suits everyone who's interested.

Yep. Sure. Somewhere cheap, as I'm kind of broke. I live in the city centre.

im currently taking a songwriting course and find even just sitting around talking with others about songwriting and songwriters motivates you a bit more and makes you more enthusiastic.

Anything you do, motivates you. Otherwise it's the sound of one hand clapping.

if it's going ahead i'd still be interested and more than willing to help organise and contact people.

let me know what suits..

Yep, it suits.

does anyone know any city centre pubs that would accommodate such a group?

i would assume a monday or tuesday would be a good idea each week.

otherwise places get pretty busy etc...

It's not as simple as that.

A bad singer songwriter group/night will clear a pub quicker than a farting competition.

Bruxelles have a good singer songwriter night. Don't even think about organising a night, until you have a core of people together who know what they're doing - otherwise it's torture. .............

• Advertisement

krd wrote: »

It's not as simple as that.

A bad singer songwriter group/night will clear a pub quicker than a farting competition.

Bruxelles have a good singer songwriter night. Don't even think about organising a night, until you have a core of people together who know what they're doing - otherwise it's torture. .............

I'm talking about more of the songwriting part. Rather than an open mic night.

Advertisement