Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RTE 2 Broadcasting in HD now

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 erukus

I have recently installed a Terratec DVB-T USB tuner on a Clarke Tech 9100 to view Saorview. Tonight I am watching the soccer on RTE 2 HD and twice during the first half the picture glitched similar to a c/s glitch. What is the cause of the glitch in the picture? is it a transmission/broadcast error?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

The Cush wrote: »
    Thought it was just me but stuttering here from Mullaghanish too.

Had a few stutters and breakups throughout the game here on Mullaghanish, picture seemed very bleached in the 2nd half I also thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

Stinicker wrote: »
    Had a few stutters and breakups throughout the game here on Mullaghanish, picture seemed very bleached in the 2nd half I also thought.

Yes. Some picture breakups from Clermont Carn too. Was thinking about atmospheric conditions being the cause. Problems with links somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Mayo Exile wrote: »
    Yes. Some picture breakups from Clermont Carn too. Was thinking about atmospheric conditions being the cause. Problems with links somewhere?

Was in a pub watching game via Sky digital, also was a bit stuttery in places...

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

Aye, I was watching on Sky, and the same problem, so I guess it was a problem in Lansdowne Road, and not Saorview.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Looks like Masterchef Goes Large is in HD at the moment, to my ageing eyes at any rate :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I got the impression that the stuttering was a faulty camera on the touch line.

But (imo) it was the signal origin (i.e. Lansdown Road) that caused the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

Alun wrote: »
    Looks like Masterchef Goes Large is in HD at the moment, to my ageing eyes at any rate :)
    Def not HD. On my tv when broadcast is HD eg sport, I've got a little white square at the very right hand side of the screen in line with the DOG + the DOG isn't pin sharp.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Alun wrote: »
    Sadly no, even though the source would have been HD. There is noticable motion blur too.

Repeat of "Pan Am" on at the moment. In upscaled SD unlike Monday night. RTE only allowed to show it in actual HD once maybe?

• Advertisement

Repeat of "Pan Am" on at the moment. In upscaled SD unlike Monday night. RTE only allowed to show it in actual HD once maybe?
    Yeah. I thought the same when repeats were screened last weekend.

New series of Greys Anatomy on at the moment. Wasn't it advertised as being in HD on Saorview? Looks like upscaled SD to me.

Also looking closely at the DOG, while sharper than normal for upscaled SD programming, it seems to be overlaid over another graphic underneath it. Look at the "O" in particular to see this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

At the start of the programme there were two DOGs on screen, one below the other, then the lower one faded out and left the one we see at the outside broadcasts (sharper and with a small bar at the extreme right). But there was also a slight shadow on this DOG as if there were two overlaid on each other, with one slightly out of register. This was evident all through the programme and then, when Craig Doyle's programme started the "true" HD DOG was still on screen and then was faded out and the "regular" HD one was faded in just a bit lower - phew! What is all the messing about with these things:rolleyes:

As regards the programme technical content - very poor, like upscaled SD as you say, lots of compression artefacts. The one hour recording I made was 2.3GB. The fact that any of the live World Cup rugby matches were averaging out at over 3GB per hour would indicate that Grey's Anatomy was suffering from low bit rates. Maybe, when the channel is moved to the HD multiplex the quality will improve? Or maybe there was some technical problem with the playout on Tuesday?

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

Noticed 3 programmes in what looked like 3 HD on RTE2 today (Teeny program at lunchtime, Monty Halls Ireland and Madagascar), very sharp image and sharp DOG.

Doe sthis mean the playout system is now in full swing and can we look forward to real HD finally?

Noticed 3 programmes in what looked like 3 HD on RTE2 today (Teeny program at lunchtime, Monty Halls Ireland and Madagascar), very sharp image and sharp DOG.

Doe sthis mean the playout system is now in full swing and can we look forward to real HD finally?

Grainne Seoige's Modern Life just finished there now. The DOG was very sharp even though the programme itself didn't seem that great in terms of HD quality.

EDIT: the film "The Duchess" has just started. DOG sharp again, film seems to be in upscaled SD though.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭seanp_25

Grainne Seoige's Modern Life just finished there now. The DOG was very sharp even though the programme itself didn't seem that great in terms of HD quality.

EDIT: the film "The Duchess" has just started. DOG sharp again, film seems to be in upscaled SD though.

The Duchess definately looks like upscaled SD alright. I wonder is this the end of the blurry/upscaled RTE TWO HD dog?

Full Screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/haURP.jpg (you can tell this isn't full HD because the edge between the picture frame and the black borders at the top and bottom isn't pixel sharp.)

DOG Comparison:
    Upscaled SD: http://i.imgur.com/g1oug.png
    Full HD: http://i.imgur.com/ilka7.png (from a live rugby game)
    The Duchess tonight: http://i.imgur.com/uNJ17.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Sneaky move. Currently Cougar Town is visibly upscaled SD, while the DOG is HD.
    They are probably taking bets at RTENL as to who will spot it first on Boards.ie.:)

just switched to RTÉ Two HD to see Top Gear is now on. It seems to me that this is going out in HD.
    At the very right hand side of the screen, in line with the RTÉ DOG, the customary little white dot which has only ever appeared during live HD broadcasts is now visible. Can anyone confirm this?

If the DOG is the only sign of a HD broadcast then there must be something seriously wrong. Is the HD really so bad that it can't speak for itself? :confused:

Karsini wrote: »
    If the DOG is the only sign of a HD broadcast then there must be something seriously wrong. Is the HD really so bad that it can't speak for itself? :confused:
    Just an observation m8. If something is crappy upscaled SD or poor HD, I'm pretty sure any half decent TV will find it out.
    It's just in indication that RTÉ are making some effort to increase their HD output - thats all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Top Gear is the most HD looking thing RTE shows, it looks excellent on my telly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

That DOG is sharp all the time now. Same for the obvious SD rugby earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

They've managed to put Budget 2012 in HD, I'm surprised that didn't get cut!

Pan Am seems to be upscaled SD now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

is this champions league game in HD?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Signal on Saorview all over the place for me on Three Rock, but from the glimpses I've got it seems to be in HD. Cutting in and out - tried two different aerials. Of course, Saorview may say it's my TV (Panny g20).

Info feed on Panasonic changing from DVB to EC/AV2. This never happened before either. It looks as if signal is dropping or changing...?

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭talkabout

Looks HD to me this evening

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Signal on Saorview all over the place for me on Three Rock, but from the glimpses I've got it seems to be in HD. Cutting in and out - tried two different aerials. Of course, Saorview may say it's my TV (Panny g20).

Info feed on Panasonic changing from DVB to EC/AV2. This never happened before either. It looks as if signal is dropping or changing...?

No trouble on mine from 3R

mystic86 wrote: »
    is this champions league game in HD?

Yes.

Champions League stuff is just about the only HD content on RTE lately. (means there's HD content ~0.1% of the time on RTE2 HD :D about 100 minutes a week)

Pan Am was upscaled this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

No trouble on mine from 3R

Somehow or other, a Scart cable on AV2 started causing a problem. All ok with 3R now. Cheers, Sam.

Advertisement