Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boards Golf Society 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭ballyk

I'm declaring for..... the non-Dubs of course!

Great idea Golfgraffix and it'll be good practice for next year's War on the Shore, sorry I mean next year's Ryder Jug! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

ballyk wrote: »
    I'm declaring for..... the non-Dubs of course!

Great idea Golfgraffix and it'll be good practice for next year's War on the Shore, sorry I mean next year's Ryder Jug! :p

The Dubs after

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT2gRQ860HadrYv0yTrGOpX7HQf0IihsmP3rArsQ1VG_mgqCXRU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭nailer54321

I would be interested in joining the boards golf society for 2016. How do I go about this eg. pay membership fee, put my name down on the time sheet, any information on this would be great. I am trying to get back into golf and play more often so am looking to get out a lot more next year, I am currently a member of a works golf society but have only played a handful of times with them this year, so I would have a society handicap but don't have a GUI handicap. Any information on this would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭bobster453

Seve OB wrote: »
    Based on last years member list

Jackeens Boggers :) Don't Know
    3putt a post punk benny79
    Ben1977 athlone99 BigChap1759
    Dr.Rieux ballyk Damien_d12
    FixedePitchmark Barnaboy gerhard
    Golfgraffix bobster453 kkelliher
    HoleInOne bombedbiscuit Miley Byrne
    Macker1 Buddy Holly Newuser12345
    O'Reilly Tony charlieIRL NIALL D
    pistolpetes11 Ciaranra Shane84
    princess poppy doublecross sofireland
    RoadRunner dwd stitcheddepin
    Seve OB Keano titlebearer
    spacecoyote kieran.
    ThecHamp26 kiers47
    LuckyGent88
    mafc
    PARlance
    paulos53
    recycled
    Rikand
    shane 007
    shaunac93
    ssbob
    The Big Easy
    tigerwood1
    whosyourcaddy

Well I don't know what to do...born in Holles St, raised in Kildare, married a Wexford woman, life is Tipp..but ABCD in gaa football,be like the Railway cup of Golf(for anyone old enough to remember the Railway Cup)..Munster and Connacht and Ulster versus Leinster maybe,guess I will stick with my gut instinct on who will win and declare for The Culchies, tho that might change,#confusedoldman

charlieIRL wrote: »
    there's a few there that might not be happy being called culchies!!!!

Would anyone be happy being a Jackeen??

• Advertisement

bobster453 wrote: »
    Would anyone be happy being a Jackeen??

I would - political correctness is gone nuts.

Everyone in kerry refers to someone from Dublin as a Jackeen.

The Dubs after

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT2gRQ860HadrYv0yTrGOpX7HQf0IihsmP3rArsQ1VG_mgqCXRU

Drowning Your Sorrows already Fix?

I would - political correctness is gone nuts.

Everyone in kerry refers to someone from Dublin as a Jackeen.

Well no they don't actually, unless they are feeling particularly pleasant and friendly

I would be interested in joining the boards golf society for 2016. How do I go about this eg. pay membership fee, put my name down on the time sheet, any information on this would be great. I am trying to get back into golf and play more often so am looking to get out a lot more next year, I am currently a member of a works golf society but have only played a handful of times with them this year, so I would have a society handicap but don't have a GUI handicap. Any information on this would be great.

Hiya
    Check earlier post from SeveOB in this thread re how to go about joining and rules etc.
    Best craic ever, great people, who pretend winning isnt everything :)
    Simply the best decision I ever made in golf was joining this illustrious motley crew, when one day is over already waiting impatiently for the next one
    Do It, you will really enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

- say 16 People from the bog ethnical background want to play and 12 people from the stunning city of art and culture and humour and history and education and science and literature and rebellion and brilliance - want to play .

In our club we have a Tipperary v offaly competition and both teams have their players with other blow-ins to the county filling the gaps....great day in the club with all the players wearing jerseys/colours....I realise that there are prob no outsiders to fill gaps if numbers don't match but maybe the confused with a leg in each team could be used to even up teams....though job u got yourself into John!

• Advertisement

Drowning Your Sorrows already Fix?

To be honest - If I make team it would be more like this.

Langer.jpg

To be honest - If I make team it would be more like this.

Langer.jpg

MISSED A SITTER AGAIN DID YA

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭recycled

Hi All

I thought I would get this done as early as possible, most clubs are putting up their prices next year and in some cases by up to 30%, so best to get in early.

Before I get to the fixture list I would like to thank Seve and the commitee for the great year we had this year, its takes a lot of work behind the scenes to have it run as smooth as it did. I would also like to thank the guys at mygolfsociety for their help in getting the best prices possible, combined with our contacts I think we have managed to get some great rates at some of the best courses around.

So here is the list, its not 100% set in stone so if the majority want some changes we can review the list but as it stands it offers a great variety in location and course style.

We were very aware that this year some of the guys travelled great distances to attend and with this in mind we have spread the courses out a little more.

I will confirm exact prices later.

January 16th
    Rathcore

Internal Ryder Jug
    Dubs V's Non Dubs (I could use another term here !)
    This is just an idea at this stage but it should be fun and good pratcice to get the real Jug back

Febraury 20th
    Portmarnock Links (time to be confirmed)

March 19th
    Bunclody Golf & Fishing Club

April 23rd
    The Heritage

May 21st
    New Forest

June 18th
    Powerscourt East

July 23rd
    Castlemartyr Golf Club

August 20th
    Headford New

September 17th
    Galway Bay TBC

Captains Day

Please do let me know your thoughts.

J

Great list -

Headfort sticks out after playing it this year, a real hidden jem.

Galway should be great craic, its on my list of courses to play.

Tiger had recommended a few of the other courses to play, you have a good mix.

I'm looking forward to playing Castlemartyr course
    ( I can have breakfast at 9am instead of 7am).

Good luck in 2016 I hope you have a blast.biggrin.png

looking forward to getting out playing next year signed up this year and never made it out,

• Registered Users Posts: 22 golfrules

Hi am considering joining. Just wondering di many females play. Are the tee times very early, as someone else said, unsuccessful in beating the Dubs on the GAA front. it would be nice to have a crack at beating them in this (no offence meant). How is time sheet operated or do you do a draw. Many thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Well I don't know what to do...born in Holles St, raised in Kildare, married a Wexford woman, life is Tipp..but ABCD in gaa football,be like the Railway cup of Golf(for anyone old enough to remember the Railway Cup)..Munster and Connacht and Ulster versus Leinster maybe,guess I will stick with my gut instinct on who will win and declare for The Culchies, tho that might change,#confusedoldman

The Railway Cup is still going on. Although it's not on paddys day anymore seen as they play the club finals that day. Think they have been trying to revitalise it for a few years. There were talks of it being held in all sorts of weird places like Texas and Abu Dhabi.

Great list of courses as always. Best of look for the year J. Hopefully will grow some more again this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

golfrules wrote: »
    Hi am considering joining. Just wondering di many females play. Are the tee times very early, as someone else said, unsuccessful in beating the Dubs on the GAA front. it would be nice to have a crack at beating them in this (no offence meant). How is time sheet operated or do you do a draw. Many thanks

Yes we had 2 regular females this year and it would be great to get a few more involved.

Timesheet is drawn up ahead of time, early or late slots can be requested and will be facilitated on a first asked basis. Generally try and get people playing with different people each outing so that we can all get go know each other a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭princess poppy

golfrules wrote: »

Give it a shot. I spent a year 'considering' whether or not to join up, should have just done it. It's a relaxed and enthusiastic group of golfers of all levels, all of who are "'there to play'" it's not about the winning - yeah right 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

Great line up for next year captain. Hoping to get to more then 3 events next year. Good luck with your year

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭paulos53

Looking at the course list again a lot of travel is required for us Cork lads.

It seems as if the trips are getting longer every year so out of interest I worked out the average round trip since I joined in 2013

2013: 2 hours 46 minutes round trip based on times from Google Maps
    2014: 3 hours 10 minutes
    2015: 3 hours 28 minutes
    2016: 3 hours 56 minutes :(

The trips are even longer for the likes of recycled who has an extra 50-60 minutes when traveling up the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

It is so hard to balance good courses, new courses and the traveling.

I thought that this year there was a more even spread.

One South, one South East, one north (ish), one west and one Midlands.

I guess portmarnock and powerscourt are awkward.

New forest is almost Midlands

We have time to change a venue or two if the consensus is for it.

J

• Registered Users Posts: 29 bombedbiscuit

Seve OB wrote: »
    Based on last years member list

Jackeens Boggers :) Don't Know
    3putt a post punk benny79
    Ben1977 athlone99 BigChap1759
    Dr.Rieux ballyk Damien_d12
    FixedePitchmark Barnaboy gerhard
    Golfgraffix bobster453 kkelliher
    HoleInOne bombedbiscuit Miley Byrne
    Macker1 Buddy Holly Newuser12345
    O'Reilly Tony charlieIRL NIALL D
    pistolpetes11 Ciaranra Shane84
    princess poppy doublecross sofireland
    RoadRunner dwd stitcheddepin
    Seve OB Keano titlebearer
    spacecoyote kieran.
    ThecHamp26 kiers47
    LuckyGent88
    mafc
    PARlance
    paulos53
    recycled
    Rikand
    shane 007
    shaunac93
    ssbob
    The Big Easy
    tigerwood1
    whosyourcaddy

Bogger ??? 100 % DUB !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Bogger ??? 100 % DUB !!!!

ooops !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

Benny79 - Is a 100% Dub and so is most the Don't know list Seve. So I doubt we will be short numbers.

I just like to state can the Boggers not use the word Jackeen, Its All Ireland Champions to yeee....;) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

benny79 wrote: »
    Its All Ireland Champions to yeee....;) :D

If ye actually played for a full 70mins (Cluxton spends at least 10mins time wasting a game :) ) and in places outside of croke park i doubt ye would be :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

shaunac93 wrote: »
    If ye actually played for a full 70mins (Cluxton spends at least 10mins time wasting a game :) ) and in places outside of croke park i doubt ye would be :P

Ha..Ha.. What can I say... Haters going to Hate...:D

Jaysus - that is all a bit handbags boys and girls.

I actually like the sound of The Boggers verus Jackeens Cup.

No harm taking on PC now and again.

paulos53 wrote: »
    Looking at the course list again a lot of travel is required for us Cork lads.

It seems as if the trips are getting longer every year so out of interest I worked out the average round trip since I joined in 2013

2013: 2 hours 46 minutes round trip based on times from Google Maps
    2014: 3 hours 10 minutes
    2015: 3 hours 28 minutes
    2016: 3 hours 56 minutes :(

The trips are even longer for the likes of recycled who has an extra 50-60 minutes when traveling up the country.

Fair play Paulo that was a fair bit of effort to work that out, never mind the actual driving.

To offer an opinion.
    The typical location of outings will be based on where captain is from.

The last 3 captains have been based in midlands/Dub - so this is unusual and you will imagine looking at the areas people are from Munster will get a good run at some stage ?

I guess it is just a reality that dubs have great personalities and are leaders - joking man.

Point well made. Fair play to the lads who have made it from Cork etc.

But- you'd imagine it will swing the other way in next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭slingerz

I may add Tralee for November

This would be awesome!n provided the weather isnt crazy!

• Advertisement

August 20th
    Headford New

I take it this is HeadforT, not HeadforD

Just dont wanna be in the wrong county :)

Advertisement