Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cancelling Sky/Getting Sky +

Options
  • 04-05-2005 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭

My Sky box is on the blink (2nd one to go in year), is it possible to cancel the sub and then pretty much immediately order Sky + (€199 first time connection yeah) ?

Cheers for the info

Mick

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭sergeant121

In the UK that would be fraud but in ROI ............... ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Can you do that? Won't they know you were already a subscriber and are not a first time subscriber? Unless you change your name and move house and bank. But that would be a bit extreme...

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

You wouldn't be able to use the same bank account AFAIK, though the name and address part could be overcome (wife's name, adding a letter to house number, eg 32C)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

byte wrote:
    You wouldn't be able to use the same bank account AFAIK, though the name and address part could be overcome (wife's name, adding a letter to house number, eg 32C)
    just tell em when you are cancelling that you are moving house, to an apartment block (so you can avoid them "asking" to come and move your dish)

then get the missus to subscribe, or subscribe yourself including your middle initial and use a credit card or a different bank a/c for the payments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I don't have the latest price handy, sohow much is it to upgrade to Sky+ without cancelling?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

do they try to coerce you into getting sky multiroom?
    what do they expect you to do with the "spare" sky box if you dont

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭chorus techy

dubmick wrote:
    My Sky box is on the blink (2nd one to go in year), is it possible to cancel the sub and then pretty much immediately order Sky + (€199 first time connection yeah) ?

Cheers for the info

Mick

Not too sure - you'll have to take a risk! I've known some who've gotten away with it, but then others - sky immediately see that they're actually not a first time subscriber and charge you full whack.

And the offer is "One per household" NOT one per person, so even if you get someone else in the house to sign up, they'll immediately see the subscription address / phone number is identical to your previous one and then hit you.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Chorus techy's right. I hadn't thought of the phone number. The Address part is easily overcome, but not so much the phone number.

Advertisement