Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Marvel Cinematic Universe general stuff

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Pretty sure it has, I'm in work though so cant find the link for you now.

It would seem you are correct

• Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I wouldn't be suprised if Doctor Strange was to apper in an episode or two of AoS as a way of doing his an intro origin story.

I wouldn't be suprised if Doctor Strange was to apper in an episode or two of AoS as a way of doing his an intro origin story.

It does seem odd that they're deciding to try this with the lesser known characters. I suppose they could do what The Incredible Hulk did and do an origins montage in the opening credits. I wouldn't be surprised if BP had a cameo in Cap 3

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

FunLover18 wrote: »
    It does seem odd that they're deciding to try this with the lesser known characters. I suppose they could do what The Incredible Hulk did and do an origins montage in the opening credits. I wouldn't be surprised if BP had a cameo in Cap 3

With Hulk though, they had already done an origins story quite recently in the Ang Lee version. I always thought of The Incredible Hulk as a sort of sequel to Ang Lee's Hulk with the origins montage redone with the new characters.

It would be interesting to see them skip the origins story though. I like origins stories but often origins movies follow the same formula of introducing the character and all the problems in their life, something happens (spider bite, radiation, experiment gone wrong) and they get their powers. Little do they know, they have also created a monster who they will have a brief fight with before building up to the final big showdown between the two. The hero wins and learns a valuable life lesson in the process.

Bacchus wrote: »
    With Hulk though, they had already done an origins story quite recently in the Ang Lee version. I always thought of The Incredible Hulk as a sort of sequel to Ang Lee's Hulk with the origins montage redone with the new characters.

It would be interesting to see them skip the origins story though. I like origins stories but often origins movies follow the same formula of introducing the character and all the problems in their life, something happens (spider bite, radiation, experiment gone wrong) and they get their powers. Little do they know, they have also created a monster who they will have a brief fight with before building up to the final big showdown between the two. The hero wins and learns a valuable life lesson in the process.

I always saw The Incredible Hulk as a complete reboot. For one thing there's the fact that the Hulk in Ang Lee's version can get bigger depending on how angry he is (and so can his trousers).

I think they're going to find some way of letting audiences in on the origins. From what I've heard about Strange his origins are fairly important and indicative of his character.

• Advertisement

LL Cool J Is Joining The Marvel Cinematic Universe. (Maybe)
    The rapper was then peppered with questions asking whether he would be featuring in the now confirmed Black Panther origin story, or perhaps as Luke Cage. At this point he hasn’t yet responded to these questions. Instead, the only follow-up has been a re-Tweet of a news story about his original Tweet. If you're like me, you're having flashbacks of Vin Diesel’s similar and successful attempt to land himself a role in the Marvel world

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Cool-J-Joining-Marvel-Cinematic-Universe-67947.html

https://twitter.com/llcoolj/status/527292270324637696

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I know they have some plans and releases, but are DC a little rudderless in comparison - do they have a public face like Feige?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

The Incredible Hulk was a reboot. Feige has confirmed that Ang Lees Hulk is not part of MCU canon. Thank jaysus.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Can't even complete his sentence properly, looks promising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

I know they have some plans and releases, but are DC a little rudderless in comparison - do they have a public face like Feige?

No public face, closest one would be Snyder who has spoken about plans for various heroes (even going as far as ringing a radio jock who was slating Aquaman).

In fairness to DC they were the first ones to release their detailed slate for the next couple of years. I think one of the actors, possibly Momoa, spoke enthusiastically about Warner/DC plans for a multi film all encompassing storyline (ie what happens in DoJ is going to have a direct impact on what happens in Wonder Woman and the Suicide Squad, which will effect JL, which will effect Aquaman and Flash etc etc).

DC and Warner have been poor in their preparation, which is probably not helped by the fact that Warner are releasing god knows how many films per year in comparison to Msrvel's 2 or 3. Warner simply have more to focus on but I do think they're finally getting it together. Their plans do seem more coherent now and the right noises are being made, such as the rumour that origins are not going to consume their films, merely alluded to in flashbacks.

They have to separate themselves from Marvel's formula, and at least they look to be trying hard now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

With the new Avengers movie being called " of Ultron", it made me wonder if this was to make it Ageitkward for Fox to title their next movie "Age of Apocalypse" which I assume they did want to title it.

I also kind of thought the same thing when JJ Abrams announced Quick Silver would be in Avengers 2 a couple of weeks after Singer announced he would be in the new xmen movie.

With the new Avengers movie being called " of Ultron", it made me wonder if this was to make it Ageitkward for Fox to title their next movie "Age of Apocalypse" which I assume they did want to title it.

I also kind of thought the same thing when JJ Abrams announced Quick Silver would be in Avengers 2 a couple of weeks after Singer announced he would be in the new xmen movie.

I doubt it. The MCU doesn't need to compete with the X-Men franchise because there's no competition. Age of Ultron is a comic event that they're basing the movie on; nothing more imo.

With regard to Quicksilver, I don't think Whedon heard Singer's announcement of the character and thought "Fcuk these guys, I'm writing Quicksilver into my movie too!" and did a rewrite. He was writing it anyway and happened to announce it second. I also reckon The Avengers version of Quicksilver will be an awful lot better than the X-Men version which, while it did provide some comic relief, was mostly crap (and that awful costume, fcuk...).

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

I doubt it. The MCU doesn't need to compete with the X-Men franchise because there's no competition. Age of Ultron is a comic event that they're basing the movie on; nothing more imo.

With regard to Quicksilver, I don't think Whedon heard Singer's announcement of the character and thought "Fcuk these guys, I'm writing Quicksilver into my movie too!" and did a rewrite. He was writing it anyway and happened to announce it second. I also reckon The Avengers version of Quicksilver will be an awful lot better than the X-Men version which, while it did provide some comic relief, was mostly crap (and that awful costume, fcuk...).

Didn't know Age of Ultron was an existing comic event. Have to say though,I was extremely impressed with DoFP's effect for quick silver tho, I know it was a humorous sequence, but it was executed brilliantly. Doubt Avengers will top it, judging from the one scene in the trailer.

Costume was crap, but it looked fairly 70's tbf.

Direct-to-video release trailer from 80's.

• FunLover18 wrote: »

Steven Strange's origin story could be just to similar to Tony Stark's to be fair. Arrogant rich guy has severe trauma and life changes. Ten minutes explaining, as him telling his tale to whomever, would be enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

Steven Strange's origin story could be just to similar to Tony Stark's to be fair. Arrogant rich guy has severe trauma and life changes. Ten minutes explaining, as him telling his tale to whomever, would be enough
    I think this is most likely. I rewatched The Winter Soldier the other day, and Strange is mentioned as a threat to Hydra in it. So unless they decide to retcon that, he already exists as a character in the MCU, albeit without any screen time

Anton Vanko has been cast in Marvel's Agent Carter. Marvel really are tying everything together.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/news/a608680/the-americans-star-costa-ronin-joining-marvels-agent-carter.html#~oUYraZADi4FIW3

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Just a question, will everything Marvel have been building towards come to a close once the credits roll on Avengers: Infinity War Part II or will there be a Phase 4?

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Just a question, will everything Marvel have been building towards come to a close once the credits roll on Avengers: Infinity War Part II or will there be a Phase 4?

The movies will continue to make huge money so they'll continue to make the movies, I reckon. Phase 4, though years away, is almost a foregone conclusion I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Avengers: Infinity War Part II is 2019, but Marvel have movies "planned" until "2028". Iron Man 4, Ant-Man 2, a new solo HULK movie, Guardians of The Galaxy 3...inevitably leading to another Avengers sequel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Theres 100 years of stories for them to do so they'll be going long after Infinity War , I just hope they don't blow there load on this one

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Just gonna leave this here
    With the ending of The Winter Soldier setting up Rumlow’s future return – having not yet taken up the identity of Crossbones by that point. According to Variety‘s Justin Kroll (hat tip to CBM), Grillo’s Crossbones will be the main villain of the 2016 film Captain America: Civil War.

http://screenrant.com/captain-america-3-civil-war-villain-crossbones-frank-grillo/

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭scouttio

More frank grillo is always a good thing

Did Grillo's Rumlow actually have any powers in TWS?

• Registered Users Posts: 44,972 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Did Grillo's Rumlow actually have any powers in TWS?

Not that I could see - was just a very well trained and effective soldier. Cap beat him, along with a load of others, in a lift on his own, afterall.

Not that I could see - was just a very well trained and effective soldier. Cap beat him, along with a load of others, in a lift on his own, afterall.

And does Corssbones have powers in the comics?
    Daniel Bruhl has also joined CW as a potential villain for both CW. Link

• Registered Users Posts: 44,972 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

And does Corssbones have powers in the comics?
    Daniel Bruhl has also joined CW as a potential villain for both CW. Link

Nope, or at least mostly not, it would appear.

He is strong, and extremely well trained in various martial arts, weapon usage, piloting etc - but he has no supernatural powers.

He has been given the power to shoot beams of flaming death at people in some comic, but I'd be surprised if that saw its way to the MCU. I would say he will be a beefed up version of GSP from Winter Soldier - and actually be in the movie for more than 10seconds.

Marvel's Agents of Shield season 1 added to Netflix US.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Still can't believe Grillo is 51.

• Advertisement

From the hacked Sony files.
    Sony Pictures has considered partnering with Marvel and producing an animated comedy as it looks to revamp its big screen strategy for “Spider-Man.”

Details of the discussions are contained in e-mails to and from Sony’s motion picture chief Amy Pascal, which were released on the Internet by hackers this week.

The e-mails reveal extensive discussions between executives at Sony and Marvel owner Walt Disney, all the way up to their respective chief executives Kaz Hirai and Robert Iger.

In an Oct. 30 e-mail, Sony Pictures president Doug Belgrad tells Ms. Pascal about a potential scenario that would see Marvel produce a new trilogy of Spider-Man movies while Sony retains “creative control, marketing and distribution.”

In a separate e-mail, Ms. Pascal tells a business partner that Marvel wanted to include Spider-Man in its planned third “Captain America” movie.

Some fanboys have clamored for Marvel Studios, which producers the blockbuster “Avengers” and “Iron Man” films, to take back control of Spider-Man from Sony, which has a long-term license. Sony’s last Spider-Man movie, “The Amazing Spider-Man 2,” received a mixed reaction from fans and modestly underperformed at the box office.

The talks with Marvel eventually broke down and Sony is now planning to go ahead with its own Spider-Man slate, according to people familiar with the matter. As of late November, executives were planning a “Spidey summit” for January to discuss future plans. Among projects in development are an animated Spider-Man comedy that would be produced by Chris Miller and Phil Lord, the team behind “22 Jump Street” and “The Lego Movie,” as well as previously disclosed Spider-Man spin-offs focused on villain team Sinister Six, super-foe Venom, and women from the webslinger’s life

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2014/12/09/sony-marvel-discussed-spider-man-movie-crossover/

Advertisement