Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Quitting a role due to a project

Options
  • 07-05-2014 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭

Just curious how many people have found themselves quitting or thinking about quitting because of a project.

I'm in situation where I've been lumped with a massively bloated piece of ****ware written about 5 years ago in terrible code with a mix of .Net, c/c++ and 3rd party OCX controls which don't have any visual components!!!. None of which work correctly or efficiently and its massively over complicated for the task its trying to achieve. Its been through 4 other developers before it got to me.

In its current state it will never work correctly and yet they keep selling it ignoring my warnings that its **** and it needs to be scrapped and started again. So im basically the only person who understands how it works and im basically the only line of support for the product.

uhhhh... Vent over.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

Just curious how many people have found themselves quitting or thinking about quitting because of a project.

I'm in situation where I've been lumped with a massively bloated piece of ****ware written about 5 years ago in terrible code with a mix of .Net, c/c++ and 3rd party OCX controls which don't have any visual components!!!. None of which work correctly or efficiently and its massively over complicated for the task its trying to achieve. Its been through 4 other developers before it got to me.

In its current state it will never work correctly and yet they keep selling it ignoring my warnings that its **** and it needs to be scrapped and started again. So im basically the only person who understands how it works and im basically the only line of support for the product.

uhhhh... Vent over.

Sounds like CV polishing time.

Any chance of getting more money to compensate them for your anger monkeys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Pull the ripcord. If you stay you'll be driven mad, and then when it explodes in a messy puddle of sh1t you'll be the one handed the mop and told to clean it up over the weekend !

• Registered Users Posts: 47 cregganna

Left my last role early because a lead dev in the US (who had the ear of the business) insisted that the Java class model was too restrictive and had implemented his own typed dictionary model based on HashMap (reminder this is written in Java). Claimed that it would lead to a looser data model and more rapid flexible development.

Anyways, despite adding my voice to the constant push back from the London devs nothing happened. Meanwhile I was being asked to performance test and fix lots of performance and memory issues. No surprises which classes cropped up all the time. Life is just to short.

+1 to moving on

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

for programmer in everyProgrammerEver:
        print "Me too!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I came close on a death march project but stuck it out. It was never released and I don't put the technology used on my CV. I'm still annoyed with myself for not quitting that job at the time but I foolishly thought it would be a big opportunity.

I'm not that phased by being stuck maintaining garbage other people have left behind but I'll sure as hell rant about it to anyone who'll listen!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I was working on a real disaster of a project before in a previous company.

It used a technology created by another arm of the company but this technology was not the right fit for the complicated problem we wanted to solve. I would have used Java or an equivalent.

Anyway, there was four Devs on the team, 3 permanent staff (me included) and a contractor.

About 8 months later everyone including myself had left. I was the last out the door stuck with support and fixing all the bugs. Fun times.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I've taken next week off as I'm borderline about to have a mental breakdown in the office. I'm going to do some serious thinking about what I'm going to be doing.

Ill have to have a browse around the job sites to see what's available out there for my experience as this is the first company I've worked for in a development role and I'm paid pretty well due to my product knowledge after coming up through support and QA. So any new role will be based on my development skills alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

I've taken next week off as I'm borderline about to have a mental breakdown in the office. I'm going to do some serious thinking about what I'm going to be doing.

Look after yourself mate, you're more important than any bad spec., crazy timelines or honky code or more likely political posturing and incompetent management. Was in that position in the mid naughties. 2 years of constant stress and one day it felt as my brain was going to crash (frightening experience), had to take a few months off to destress. Not a good time.

I left my last job because I was being sent out to increasingly unhappy customers for a product that the company considered end of line, but would still sell if asked for. I had a customer practically spit at me in annoyance and frustration, took in all his complaints, went back to the office, figured out a way to keep everyone happy and got shot down once again with the end of line stance. Went back to my desk and started job hunting, eventually jumped from the frying pan, now in the fire :(

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

I attempted to quit 3 weeks in to my current role, they convinced me to give it another shot. Now in my second month and have resigned again, can't wait to be out of the place.

Moral of the story is: if you are thinking about it (and posting about it online) its time to go. One love to my fellow developers suffering incompetence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

God I can relate. Go for it OP!

Do others here have a a project at work nicknamed the Widow-maker? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭moycullen14

Oh God, we've all been there - some more than others.

One think I would say is that projects like this rarely have a happy ending. Also the maintenance/development ratio will be very high and the quality will just get worse and worse. Sitting in a sewer and adding to it, is how I've heard it described.

You should leave. Companies must realise that there is a cost to crappy projects. Also, now is a great time to be looking. Plenty out there.

Good luck and go for it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Same as you a few years ago, was more a cause of the project timelines were ridiculous and continuous introduction of new technologies without any time to learn brought me close to a nervous breakdown (I'm not kidding), in the end my mates could see I was crumbling and told me to leave, I did and thank God it was the best move ever as in hindsight what I was learning you couldn't even put down on a CV as it was more firefighting to learn snippets of tech to just survive.
    Move on if its too much, the IT market seems busy so you should be good.

yop wrote: »
    Same as you a few years ago, was more a cause of the project timelines were ridiculous and continuous introduction of new technologies without any time to learn brought me close to a nervous breakdown (I'm not kidding), in the end my mates could see I was crumbling and told me to leave, I did and thank God it was the best move ever as in hindsight what I was learning you couldn't even put down on a CV as it was more firefighting to learn snippets of tech to just survive.
    Move on if its too much, the IT market seems busy so you should be good.

I think you hit on one of the most stressful things in IT - the proliferation of 'new' pieces of technology and, worse, toolkits being used in funky ways.

I wish people would realise that when you add a new library, framework, whatever, you are increasing the maintenance cost on a project. Rarely done, because it's the hotshots that make the decision, leave a pile of crap behind them and swan off to shine their lights on the next 'new' project.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I think you hit on one of the most stressful things in IT - the proliferation of 'new' pieces of technology and, worse, toolkits being used in funky ways.

I wish people would realise that when you add a new library, framework, whatever, you are increasing the maintenance cost on a project. Rarely done, because it's the hotshots that make the decision, leave a pile of crap behind them and swan off to shine their lights on the next 'new' project.

Certainly the case here. The PM seemed to pull kits out of dev magazines and left the figuring out to the developers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭carveone

I've taken next week off as I'm borderline about to have a mental breakdown in the office. I'm going to do some serious thinking about what I'm going to be doing...

Posted the same week as I left for a week before I lost my mind. Said "need a few days" and I vanished. I do have 12 years experience but problem is I was unemployed before this job so I'm being paid net minimum wage (wage - tax - high commute cost = €8.95/hr) to do an embedded linux/c programming/microcontroller/electronics position in the environment from hell (building site outside the window). Which doesn't seem reasonable really.

Plus, as as it's an EU program (Framework 7) the manager has decided that it would be a great opportunity to run his personal project in parallel and get me to do it with my salary paid by the EU. And, no, I can't have a raise. Or the promised bonus. Later maybe. Feeling abused... :mad:

As ChRoMe says: if you are thinking about it its time to go but I'm gritting my teeth not to up and quit before I find something else. I was thinking there wasn't much for my odd combination of software QA, embedded C programming, electronics interfacing etc. I'm a mongrel :-) But maybe it is a good time to be looking and learning C# or some such as that seems to be the in-thing these days. It's always a good time to have a resume in your bag!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

If you need to take a break from it, then it's not doing you any good at all. Quit. There are plenty of jobs for skilled developers right now.

One thing - speaking with business owner hat on - I would hate to lose a good developer to something like this. For the owners sake, try and get the message up the chain that things need looking at. You might be able to do this in an exit interview, or less formally somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Had to post here to mention why I went looking during my last job. I was assigned to a testing role despite the fact I'm a software developer! Couldn't believe it, they didn't give a sh*t, they saw testing as part of IT and I worked in IT so whatever!?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

uhhhh... Vent over.

Are you bound by a non-compete clause in your contract? If not, get a group of Developers together, redesign the project, develop it and begin a marketing campaign to sell and support it. :P

Had to post here to mention why I went looking during my last job. I was assigned to a testing role despite the fact I'm a software developer! Couldn't believe it, they didn't give a sh*t, they saw testing as part of IT and I worked in IT so whatever!?

Another one that grinds my gears. This seems to happening more and more. Part of the Agile manifesto, perhaps?

No-one should object to helping out occasionally when required. Doing the odd bit of testing, documentation, whatever, is fine and good for both you and the company.

What is NOT OK is the attitude that roles/skillset are interchangeable: Every developer should be a tester, one language/system/framework is much the same as every other so you should be able to switch between them. The arrogance of such an attitude is breath-taking. Have these people ever heard of economies of scale, professional competencies, etc?

Next time someone suggest to you that as a developer you should be a tester too, ask them if the Finance Director, HR manager will have a go at it too? Better still, ask them if you can have a go at their job as well, After all, it's only work, innit?

If the company don't respect your skills, leave. You're a technocrat, your skills - profession are all you've got. Anyone that tries to denigrate/disrespect your profession should be shunned. (Actually I can think of something else that should be done to them but it's probably illegal!)

Image someone suggesting that a Doctor do a nurses job coz it's all health, innit?

If people don't respect you, it's because you don't respect yourself.

Part of the Agile manifesto, perhaps?

No
    No-one should object to helping out occasionally when required. Doing the odd bit of testing, documentation, whatever, is fine and good for both you and the company.

Documentation is very much the developer's job, testing is not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

ChRoMe wrote: »
    No

Documentation is very much the developer's job, testing is not.

Documenting code, yes. Writing user manuals, no.

professore wrote: »
    Documenting code, yes. Writing user manuals, no.

Perhaps not user manuals, but technical specifications, functional specifications and integration documentation yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Itzy wrote: »
    Are you bound by a non-compete clause in your contract? If not, get a group of Developers together, redesign the project, develop it and begin a marketing campaign to sell and support it. :P

It interfaces to a 3rd party and the 3rd party have a partnership with my company so that wouldn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,407 ✭✭✭Tow

Next time someone suggest to you that as a developer you should be a tester too, ask them if the Finance Director, HR manager will have a go at it too? Better still, ask them if you can have a go at their job as well, After all, it's only work, innit?

That happened in the first large company I worked at. Their attitude was that manager was a manager and could swap jobs. They swapped the HR manager with the sales manager, both in their late 40s/early 50s and had worked in their areas of expertise all their lives. Don't know how it worked out, I left around that time. But they went from 600 employees at that time to several thousand now, so did not appear to effect them too much :-)

Their IT staff was divided Mainframe vs PC and did not mix or swap roles...

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Advertisement