Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Inherent Vice

124»

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I understood what the film was trying for, and quite liked the evocative melancholy mood of it all...but i found it overlong and pitted with dull stretches. Too few of the characters were actually interesting in their own right (Doc's character was easily outshined by Bigfoot, IMO) and it kind of felt to me like it needed to be either a much tighter, disciplined film or just sprawl out even more and get more insight into the various characters. As it is, I couldn't escape the feeling of watching a stoner comedy written by someone who doesn't understand comedy.

My OH's comment on it was that it felt like a film edited by stoners. Which is also true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

i felt it dragged too much up untill around the whole ouija board thing, from then on it was highly entertaining. i dont usually read reviews before watching films but luckily did (well the start of one) and got that i really needed to concentrate on the plot..was still a bit lost at times but still enjoyed it......and that Can tune, actually the soundtrack in general. it was great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Enjoyed every single second of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭fruvai

I saw it this week and I think it's a good film but I didn't really take to it like I did the book.I found it strange that in some ways it's extremely faithful to the novel (large chunks of dialogue and prose turn up unaltered in the film) yet in other ways (especially tonally) it really fails to capture Pynchon's vibe and some of the really interesting ideas in the novel (ARPAnet for example). I knew that PTA was gonna do his own thing with it but I wasn't expecting it to be so gloomy. Yes, the novel is melancholic but not overwhelmingly so; there's a vibrancy and energy in it that's missing in PTA's adaptation. I thought it was kind of sedate and that it lacked the necessary tension until near the end. And where were the chase scenes? A Pynchon story without a chase scene is like a Michael Bay film without explosions and female objectification :D. It was also disappointing that some of the great comic characters(Denis,Sauncho Smilax) in the novel were totally neutered ,Sauncho in particular was sacrificed purely for plot exposition purposes.

Having said that there was a lot to admire in it. Doc's relationship with Shasta was very well handled,Brolin did a fine job as Bigfoot and the soundtrack was excellent. The idea to make Sortilege (Joanna Newsom's character) the narrator was very clever. I loved her narration
    especially the part where Bigfoot plants the heroin in Doc's car and she goes -"Psst..Doper's ESP Doc!..Doper's ESP!...Oh Noooooooo!!!!!!! Bigfoot you mother****er!!!!!!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Made the trip up to the Lighthouse last night to see this in 35mm only to be met with a sign saying that the 35mm print wasn’t available and it was shown in digital instead. So that was disappointing.

Anyway, I thought the film itself was very enjoyable. I couldn’t really follow the plot so gave up on that and just basked in the whole stoner vibe instead.

Bonus points for the Neil Young songs on the soundtrack which, unusually, were played out till the end and over a couple of scenes.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 41 Titus Andronicus

I caught this at the weekend & was disappointed in it I'm afraid.
    I never really caught the stoner vibe of the piece so it never really let me in.
    I'd read about the story being difficult to follow so I tried to keep up but the mumbling dialogue lost me in places.
    Ultimately it was a piece that demanded too much from it's audience & was perhaps self indulgent.

I'm starting to think it's a film you might enjoy on a 2nd & 3rd viewing once you didn't need to keep up with the story & characters.
    Problem is that it's hard to be bothered enough to watch it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

To me the joy of the first watch was just soaking up the atmosphere and being as lost as Doc along the strange journey. It's not a film to followed as much as felt imo but I don't doubt that trying to sort it out on multiple viewings will be fun too.

Advertisement