Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evolution and a supreme being.

• 01-05-2012 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭mylastparadigm

I have a question.

While darwins theory of evolution employs logic to argue against the idea of creationism - that man and women appeared in the garden of eden - is it logical to use evolution to argue against the existence of a god?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

No.

Well, I'm glad we wrapped that one up pretty quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Evolution is not an argument against creation.

It's conflict with creation is a byproduct of creation being stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

evolution vs religion round 12

ding ding

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Phew. Close it now before Crucamin, Min and Audrey arrive:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Evolution says nothing about the existence or non-existence of a God. It's an inorganic process, how could it?

The fact of evolution just implies that the Bible is big book of fables and myths. But then we knew that anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

FatherLen wrote: »
    evolution vs religion round 12

ding ding

Evolution comes out swinging, delivers low blow to religions nether regions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Say that reminds me......You know the way sometimes you heat beans up in the microwave and then forget about them. How long could you leave them before it's safe to reheat them and eat them?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I have a question.

While darwins theory of evolution employs logic to argue against the idea of creationism
    I don't think Darwin intended for his theory to "argue against creationism". He formulated the theory in its own right.

Anyway... threads like these generally end up being a trainwreck so i'm out of here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

I have a question.

While darwins theory of evolution employs logic to argue against the idea of creationism - that man and women appeared in the garden of eden - is it logical to use evolution to argue against the existence of a god?

Welcome to the internet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Say that reminds me......You know the way sometimes you heat beans up in the microwave and then forget about them. How long could you leave them before it's safe to reheat them and eat them?

You can pray for an answer or sniff them with your evolved nose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

I have a question.

+1 point for having Paradigm in your user name.

-10 for the thread.

Current score = -9

Chances of having any impact on boards = slim

Chances of intact virginity = high

Gods were created to explain gaps in human knowledge. For example, before it was known exactly what the sun and the moon are and why they rise in the east and set in the west, various cultures invented mythological, supernatural gods to explain these natural processes. The Greeks believed that the sun was a fiery chariot being ridden across the sky every day by the god Helios.

Today, thanks to the work of astronomers, we know that the sun is a star like many others and rises in the east and sets in the west due to the rotation of the earth about its axis.

Until relatively recently, there existed no scientific explanation as to how life came to be as it is on this planet. Therefore God(s) filled the gap.

With the discovery of evolution as the reason for the development of various life forms (including us) that gap no longer needs a god to fill it.

So yes, the discovery of evolution does weaken the case for a god, as it removes one of the gaps previously filled by God(s), which for many people, is a "god of the gaps".

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭mylastparadigm

-10 for the thread.

Current score = -9

says the guy with 5000 posts. i think you lose overall mate. :D

"no honey i cant come to bed. theres someone argueing with me on the internet and they are wrong!"

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Paddycrumlinman

Evolution, like everything else on this planet is a theory developed by Man's perception of how things work and I for one am aligned to this Theory.

Now the Theory of Religion and the Magic man up in the sky who helps people find their keys and score important goals but neglects all the poor Starven Marvens of the world, well that Theory sucks for one obvious reason, the lack of factual evidence on that the Deity actually exists.

Darwin, go on ya good thing.... Evolution is a fascinating subject and the way to go.

You can pray for an answer or sniff them with your evolved nose.

But does the very presence of a microwave not fundamentally prove the existence of God? Surely only an all powerful being could create people who can create a magic heaty box that makes my dinner?

After all does it not say in the bible. And I quote:
    "And yo Isaiah did put the manna into the magic heaty box,
    And the Lord did zap yonder manner with waves of heat
    Invisible waves from heaven. Very small and they were too
    (Micro in size if you will)
    And Isaiah did say onto the people
    - Behold! The magic heaty box of the Lord has given onto me
    A dinner of manna from last Saturday night
    Once again heated with his love
    With small invisible waves of his love from heaven
    (Micro in size if you will)
    From henceforth onto the end of time
    We shall call this magic heaty box with its micro waves....
    A Hot Love Compartment."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

-10 for the thread.

Current score = -9

87 posts in 6 years is more so of a hint than the content of his post. :pac:
    But does the very presence of a microwave not fundamentally prove the existence of God? Surely only an all powerful being could create people who can create a magic heaty box that makes my dinner?

After all does it not say in the bible. And I quote:

Ah yes, the sacred, wise and all loving Hatachi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Nobody in this thread knows if a creator exists or not.

woodoo wrote: »

Lies.

I created a bowl of porridge just this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

is it logical to use evolution to argue against the existence of a god?
    Dunno why everyone's bitching, its a good question.

Assuming evolution just keeps going unless some generation wipes itself out, the longer the universe lasts the more Godlike life will become. But to actually become 100% omni-everythingy will take infinite time, i.e. will never happen.

So we can conclude that if there is a God, (s)he(/it) isn't the product of evolution.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

woodoo wrote: »
    Nobody in this thread knows if sex exists or not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

Gods were created to explain gaps in human knowledge. For example, before it was known exactly what the sun and the moon are and why they rise in the east and set in the west, various cultures invented mythological, supernatural gods to explain these natural processes. The Greeks believed that the sun was a fiery chariot being ridden across the sky every day by the god Helios.

Today, thanks to the work of astronomers, we know that the sun is a star like many others and rises in the east and sets in the west due to the rotation of the earth about its axis.

Until relatively recently, there existed no scientific explanation as to how life came to be as it is on this planet. Therefore God(s) filled the gap.

With the discovery of evolution as the reason for the development of various life forms (including us) that gap no longer needs a god to fill it.

So yes, the discovery of evolution does weaken the case for a god, as it removes one of the gaps previously filled by God(s), which for many people, is a "god of the gaps".

Abiogenisis is their last remaining gap. Once a theory that is widely accepted comes out about the Christies will quickly forget about Darwin and they'll have a fresh new anti christ.

Can we PLEASE get back to my question about the beans? I'm getting hungry. :mad:

Can we PLEASE get back to my question about the beans? I'm getting hungry. :mad:

Stick your elbow in it.

If it's too hot it's hot enough to eat, otherwise reheat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Until relatively recently, there existed no scientific explanation as to how life came to be as it is on this planet.
    I don't know where you got that idea. There's no definitive "scientific" explanation for how existence came to be let alone how life came to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Evolution is a species' journey towards becoming (a) God.

As we evolve, we become smarter, adapt better to our environment or gain the ability/knowledge/tools to alter our environment. Somewhere down the line, assuming we survive long enough, we will evolve into a species that has god-like knowledge and abilities. Well, in theory anyway. Personally I'd be happy if we just evolved enough to stop being pricks towards one another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

I don't know where you got that idea. There's no definitive "scientific" explanation for how existence came to be let alone how life came to be.

Which is why he said "how life came to be as it is".

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Conbhar

I have a question.

"Leeloo Dallas Multipass"

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There's no definitive "scientific" explanation for how existence came to be let alone how life came to be.
    Considering that life is a product of existence, we will explain the origin of life before we explain the origin of existence.

Would being able to create consciousness within a computer simulation make us gods?

We would be able to control the environment of that simulation, and we would know all knowledge there is to know within that simulation (i.e. relative omniscience [oxymoron?]).

In relation to that simulation we are omni-everything.

Would we be gods?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

I have a question.

Darwin's conclusions were not based on logic alone, and the enduring importance of his work was not evolution as such, but rather natural selection as the specific mechanism governing species diversification. Both are well substantiated by empirical evidence.

Advertisement