Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journey

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭DracusWlf

It is a great game/experience. Especially like certain bits and pieces that I wont mention in case I spoil anything. :)

Will be going through it again tonight and start picking up the trophies.
    Then straight into Mass Effect 3 and back to Journey to calm down a bit. :)
    Should be perfect balance. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

DracusWlf wrote: »
    It is a great game/experience. Especially like certain bits and pieces that I wont mention in case I spoil anything. :)

Will be going through it again tonight and start picking up the trophies.
    Then straight into Mass Effect 3 and back to Journey to calm down a bit. :)
    Should be perfect balance. :)

Yup. There are many AAA games that just can't touch this. There are parts where the effects on screen are simply beautiful. I don't use that word much, especially at home...

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭DracusWlf

RangeR wrote: »
    Yup. There are many AAA games that just can't touch this. There are parts where the effects on screen are simply beautiful. I don't use that word much, especially at home...

Yes I agree. It is very well done and I never mind paying a little extra to support such development. If this is the kind of stuff we can expect then the traditional AAA title may well fall in the next few years and we can expect gaming perfection. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

I think this might be going on sale at midnight tomorrow night (tonight really)....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

mystic86 wrote: »
    I think this might be going on sale at midnight tomorrow night (tonight really)....

Sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Its out today according to the PS email.
    Journey™ releases on March 13 on PlayStation®Network. If you're a PlayStation®Plus subscriber, you can get exclusive early access to the FULL game.

I have plus and played it last week for about 20 minutes. Well worth the money. One of those games you'll always remember fondly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭unkymo

According to their Facebook page, its been released in North America today and Europe tomorrow. I think the PSN store usually updates in the evening so tomorrow evening is probably the best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭Glico Man

unkymo wrote: »
    According to their Facebook page, its been released in North America today and Europe tomorrow. I think the PSN store usually updates in the evening so tomorrow evening is probably the best bet.

Simple, get it from the US store... :)

aaronh007 wrote: »
    Simple, get it from the US store... :)

it's not that simple, not as simple as buying something from EU account

it's not that simple, not as simple as buying something from EU account

It's the exact same, add to cart, pay and download...Simple.

• Advertisement

F1ngers wrote: »
    It's the exact same, add to cart, pay and download...Simple.

pay with what?

pay with what?

Credit/debit card or psn vouchers.

F1ngers wrote: »
    Credit/debit card or psn vouchers.

Has to be USA ones though right

My visa debit works

US psn vouchers.
    My Irish VISA works on the US store.
    When you create a US account(if paying by CC), put in your real address until it gets to zip, then use a valid zip code. 90210 is the one I used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Journey is now on the store for non PS+ members :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,073 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

My word.

It's been a long time since I've played anything that special. I simply stared at the screen when it was finished - a sense of wonder on one hand, and a sadness that the experience had to end. It is, for lack of a more suitable word, a profoundly beautiful experience. It thrills, it provokes, it terrifies
    (minus a companion for once, trudging through the underground caverns with mechanical snakes circling)
    and ultimately moves. One cannot quite articulate the experience of playing it: it's so unique, so new, so involving and so urgent.

What else can be said? The game is simply a joy from beginning to end. I genuinely find it hard to believe anyone could feel short changed by this, such is the emotive force of the experience.
    The snowy ascent, keeping close to the nameless other player for warmth and company, is easily the most effective online gaming experience I've had since my first encounter with Demon Souls.

I'm sitting here after finishing it ten, fifteen minutes ago, and I'm still affected by it. Literally the only negative I could point out is the slight redundancy of the Sixaxis controls. Other than that, Journey is the game for anyone who has ever bemoaned a lack of innovation and substance in gaming. It would take something remarkable to top this in 2012. A masterpiece.

Mother****er. I just finished it myself. What a game. Absolutely brilliant. The first time in ages, I've sat down and played a game from start to finish. I put the controller down when I was done, and just said, wow. Its amazing. I've never played anything like that. Its... a journey. You take this journey. You meet people, to share the journey with. But its still, your journey, fleeting companions, gone by the time you go over the next hill. Magical. And its so gorgeous, its so... sublime, I don't know how any could not enjoy this, or complain about the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭unkymo

Just finished it now. Blown away so many times during the game and that ending was fantastic! A wonderful game, I need the soundtrack!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

unkymo wrote: »
    Just finished it now. Blown away so many times during the game and that ending was fantastic! A wonderful game, I need the soundtrack!

The musical score is amazing they can create more emotion with one note than many other developers do with hours of expensive CGI and scripting.

Game was amazing really powerful stuff, i liked the beta but could have never expected the underwater section... just wow.

• Advertisement

Those graphics were amazing <3 some of the sand looked water when it shimmered, ****ing epic(over used word)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

This game is amazing. Its probably the first time I have genuinely felt connected to another player in a multiplayer game. Me and him/her, trudging up a snow-covered mountain, trying to spur each other on with the O button.

Or using the O button to try to keep both of us in the air for as long as possible in the desert.

Awesome stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

Just finished it there, incredible stuff. Travelling along with companions, waiting for them, very intriguing considering the lack of proper communication. Just a general sense that you want to have a companion.

I got to the snowy mountain with no companion and climbing it felt very lonely!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

mise wrote: »
    Just finished it there, incredible stuff. Travelling along with companions, waiting for them, very intriguing considering the lack of proper communication. Just a general sense that you want to have a companion.

I got to the snowy mountain with no companion and climbing it felt very lonely!

When I started up the mountain my companion got blown away. I actually stopped and waited to see if he'd come back but he never did :(:o

Can I just point out that this game is the highest rated PSN (as is not a full game) release ever on Metacritic.

:D

Deserved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

A tremendously nice game. I like how when you meet a companion you have no idea who they are until they name them at the end of the game. It is the first time in a long time that I played a game from start to finish in one sitting.

Magical... there's not a lot that I can say that hasn't already been said. It is simply a marvelous experience. Sumptuous soundtrack that creates a great atmosphere for each area, almost emotional at times. There is such a great sense of wonder when crossing the sands/snow and when you meet your first companion, you find yourself overcome with a sudden urgency to stick together. I, thankfully had a companion whilst climbing the mountain and was genuinely worried they might not come back when he/she got blown away. It made the final journey all the more wonderful to feel that you made it to the top with a complete stranger, yet they helped you get there.

When I first heard about this game and the concept it ticked the boxes for me, as I enjoyed TGC's Flower. But this has exceeded my expectations. Truly wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Det Somerset

Ok, time for an alternative opinion ...

It's good, but if you're unsure and on the fence, be warned that you may not find it as good as most are making it out.

First off, it's not really a video game in the standard sense, it's more of a casual interactive experience. I don't know if it's possible to die or not, but I didn't die, and I've not heard of anyone else dying either. For me, this reduces any tension of the 'journey' as no matter what you come up against, well, at worst I just ended up a bit further back from where I was and I was able to continue easily. In addition, it's a pretty linear experience. Any time I tried to deviate from the desired path I met dead ends, or was literally forced back to where I should have been headed. If I wasn't progressing, subtle clues to where I should be focusing would appear on screen. There aren't really any puzzles to speak of, more just a case of taking the time to identify the usually signposted way to get to the next platform, and that is never that taxing. And so to the online multiplayer ...

One of the big aspects that people seem to go gaga over is the unique multiplayer experience. It's certainly different but for me it doesn't amount to anything amazing. Eventually you are joined by another traveller on the same journey. You can choose to ignore them or travel with them. This is where it fails somewhat for me. It really doesn't matter whether you interact with the other player or not. The game isn't any easier or more difficult no matter what you decide. Initially I more or less ignored my companion and finished the level without them. Then when I found him again I decided to try and work with him. It didn't change the gameplay other than create an additional challenge of making sure I stayed close while progressing. Later, I fell behind and again finished the level on my own. After catching up, he fell behind and I finished the level on my own.

The following may be a spoiler so I'll cover it.
    The game ensures you will remeet your companion no matter what happens. When i figured this out, it again lessened the experience as I knew no matter what I did I would end up meeting someone (new as it turns out) a little later.

So for me the multiplayer is only amazing if you want it to be. It's like two players playing a game, and one player eats ice cream while doing so. He thinks it makes playing the game even better, but both players are playing the same game, and eating ice cream doesn't make it better, it just seems that way to the guy who decides to eat the ice cream and enjoys it. But ice cream or not, it doesn't change the game. I can totally understand that the designers had to make sure the game could be played by a single player in their own way, but I would have liked if multiplayer co-operation allowed for some sort of different progression.

At one stage, I thought I could see that it actually would be necessary to co-operate to progress successfully, but it's not. There was one point where there was an element of co-operation which was somewhat satisfying and that was when
    we got to the bit where the wind is howling down the mountain. Initially we both repeatedly were blown back. I thought it may be the wrong way, but after some exploration I realised what we had to do. I moved behind the first monument, and 'O'd to call my companion. He realised what I was doing, and joined me. And so we moved up the mountain from shelter to shelter. That was nice, but nothing more.

And to those saying they were amazed they couldn't put it down till they finished ... it's two hours long! That's hardly a marathon gaming session ;)

So a two hour experience that's interesting, visually and aurally excellent, and like nothing you've 'played' before. If you're curious and the cost isn't a concern, I'd say go for it, but if you are unsure whether it's for you, hold off for a price drop. I don't see any significant replay value in it, as the first experience will always be the best. There are some really cool moments as you navigate from place to place, and overall I did enjoy it, but sorry, I just don't get the same buzz as everyone else on here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,073 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Interesting alternate opinion. I do agree with the 'one sitting' praise - it is very short :p

However, on your other points I personally am entirely able to forgive its lack of 'gamey' elements like traditional co-op or a 'fail' state
    (out of curiosity, what happens when the flying snake 'destroys' all your scarf?).
    Because I think it's a game that dares to break rules and distort expectations, and has crafted something that excels through it's careful dismantling of what we know. The experience was just so bewitching that I could not help but be utterly immersed.

As for co-op, I can't lie and say I wasn't engrossed by the mountain experience.
    When I was blown off an edge, and my partner followed me, it was a strangely moving moment. And when we realised that 'sticking together' raised body heat, it became a much more powerful crawl.
    There is no traditional co-op because that's not what the developers want. They want something more difficult to quantify. IMO, they succeeded.

As for value for money? I think it's well worth the entry price. Have you ever paid a tenner (well, thirteen?) for a cinema ticket or a DVD? An inherently finite experience, and one where a revisit will only rarely be as bountiful. I can imagine revisiting this game in the future just for a reminder of that first journey, even if the returns will somewhat diminish, much like I rewatch favourite films. This game doesn't need replay value in the traditional sense: it's confident that once is enough.

It's rare that a game requires a new critical approach. But since Journey is so defiantly different, it is for me a slight injustice to critique it the way we critique other games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Det Somerset

Interesting alternate opinion. I do agree with the 'one sitting' praise - it is very short :p

However, on your other points I personally am entirely able to forgive its lack of 'gamey' elements like traditional co-op or a 'fail' state
    (out of curiosity, what happens when the flying snake 'destroys' all your scarf?).
    Because I think it's a game that dares to break rules and distort expectations, and has crafted something that excels through it's careful dismantling of what we know. The experience was just so bewitching that I could not help but be utterly immersed.
    Yeah the snake thing got me enough times that I lost my scarf. What happened then? I just continued without one, and didn't notice the game being any more difficult as a result, which is was somewhat one of my points. I do agree that the game distorts expectations though, and that is certainly praiseworthy, but I think it's one of its greatest strengths and greatest failings simultaneously. We are used to dying in games, so when the flying snakes spot us or our companion, we feel fear, and when we escape we feel relief. However in this game it doesn't seem possible to die. When I was losing/lost my scarf, I worried what that might mean. I felt something. But then I realised it meant nothing. I figured that out (probably cause I'm a rubbish gamer unlike you lot ;) ) fairly early and it took away a lot from my experience. however I think a lot of the great experiences people had stemmed from their belief that each action they took had meaning, ie I can't lose my scarf, or we must stay together ... but ultimately it actually doesn't matter whether you lose your scarf or stay together. When those players succeeded, they felt like they achieved something special, but really they just got to the end of the linear path just the same as the guy who lost his scarf and/or did so without a companion. For me it's like I figured out the Great Oz is just the guy behind the curtain. Once you know this, the wonder you felt is gone. So long as you keep moving forward in the right direction, and jump where you need to, you will complete the experience.
    I know all of that sounds incredibly negative, but I did enjoy the game, I just don't share the globally accepted 'game is a perfect masterpiece' feelings everyone else seems to have. I reckon there will be others out there like me (almost certainly the minority) so I'm trying to temper their expectations.
    As for co-op, I can't lie and say I wasn't engrossed by the mountain experience.
    When I was blown off an edge, and my partner followed me, it was a strangely moving moment. And when we realised that 'sticking together' raised body heat, it became a much more powerful crawl.
    There is no traditional co-op because that's not what the developers want. They want something more difficult to quantify. IMO, they succeeded.
    That's sorta my point you're making. You say you realised that 'sticking together' raised body heat. I say that you enjoyed that moment more than I did, because you thought it meant something. I'm saying that if you hadn't raised body heat, you would have progressed just the same, it's only your perception of achieving something along the way that was different to someone who played that part alone (either by choice or circumstance).
    I agree, the developers succeeded in achieving what they wanted to do with this very abstract unique multiplayer. It didn't quite work on the same level for me, but I'm accepting of the fact that I'm in the minority. You can't please all the people all of the time after all :)
    As for value for money? I think it's well worth the entry price. Have you ever paid a tenner (well, thirteen?) for a cinema ticket or a DVD? An inherently finite experience, and one where a revisit will only rarely be as bountiful. I can imagine revisiting this game in the future just for a reminder of that first journey, even if the returns will somewhat diminish, much like I rewatch favourite films. This game doesn't need replay value in the traditional sense: it's confident that once is enough.

It's rare that a game requires a new critical approach. But since Journey is so defiantly different, it is for me a slight injustice to critique it the way we critique other games.

I accept your opinion wholeheartedly, but disagree with it. With a 13 euro DVD, if I enjoy it, I will happily rewatch it many times, and feel that was value for money. If I disliked it enough to not want to rewatch, I'll feel it was poor value for money. I can buy a dvd for about 3-5 euro after 12 months if I wait for a sale, and it's at that price that I compare 'once off home viewing experiences'. The better comparison is the cinema experience. Personally I cannot recreate that at home, and obviously it's a once off experience for the price. Therefore I'm more willing to accept the value of 10-15 euro it might cost me. The Journey for me is also a once off experience, (I really can't see much point in replaying it) and unlike anything you've 'played' so it's value is raised. However unlike the cinema, the journey will drop in price in time, and the experience will be exactly the same then as someone who paid full price. For me, I would say it was worth about 8 euro. I don't regret paying full price as I'm supporting game developers who really are trying to push the boundaries of game design and the more successful they are, the more they can go on to achieve. I just wouldn't say I got great value for my money with The Journey.

Again, I'm not trying to say The Journey is a waste of time, or a failure. Nor am I trying to belittle the literally joyous experiences it seems many have had. It's fantastic that so many felt this way from 'playing' The Journey. I just know I will not be the only one in the world who didn't feel the same euphoria, so wanted to state my (hopefully spoiler free) views here in case it helped others who might identify with me in making their decision. Nothing worse than having your expectations set too high and find your enjoyment lessened as a result.

Advertisement