Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannabis should be legalized in Ireland To pull Our country out of ression

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

I'd be up for giving the following a chance:

Governement-employed scientists/horticulturists grow it to a strength not surpassing medium-strength weed in Holland

Government shops sell it

Government takes money in sales and taxes, creates employment in shops, and labs, and also in hotels, transport etc when we do have the thousands of people from abroad and the north coming into this jurisdiction to enjoy it.

But I would any seedy, behaviour such as selling drugs on the streets punishable by hefty sentences.

Don't want Dublin/Cork/Galway turning into Amsterdam-type ****holes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Amsterdam is indeed a grotty place. If this is the end-product of cannabis decriminalisation, you can keep it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

Amsterdam is indeed a grotty place. If this is the end-product of cannabis decriminalisation, you can keep it.
    Oh sure, blame the coffee shops but not the sex shops is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Typical crap you hear from people who have only ever been there for a weekend on the piss.

Try dragging yourself out of the red-light district for an hour or two next time you're there.

RedPlanet wrote: »
    Oh sure, blame the coffee shops but not the sex shops is it?

Sure whats the difference. One follows the other.
    Gurgle wrote: »
    Typical crap you hear from people who have only ever been there for a weekend on the piss.

Try dragging yourself out of the red-light district for an hour or two next time you're there.

lolz, i don't have to pay for sex. Only losers need to do that, eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭d4v1d

would anyone in this country have the balls to try and bring this up in the government? one person i know of, luke flanagan (i think that's his name), aka ming the merciless, and he was so quickly ridiculed and shot down that it would be enough to disuade anyone else from even trying.

personally i voted for him. what else could i have done. even though people know of many good reasons why all recreational drugs should be brought into a controlled business environment, what is anyone going to do?

does anyone have any ideas on how to bring this concept forward and get it seriously discussed at leinster house? there are two problems i can see with this, the government don't want to deal with it and the importers/distributers certainly don't want the government dealing with this as they'd lose a fortune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭whynotwhycanti

Amsterdam is one of the great cities of the world, it has far far more to offer than Dublin or any other Irish city cobined.

Went there when younger with friends, only stayed around the red light district that is full of tourists. Not a very nice area, seedy, dirty. It is not the Ducth people who make it like this but the foreigners and tourists. There is such a huge influx of stag parties, groups of friends that want to go to coffee shops etc. This does not reflect badly on the Dutch but other governments who have tried to ban these things, drugs and prostitutions and have failed as there is such a huge demand for this that their people end up traveling to this place. Go to Rotterdam, exact same laws as Amsterdam, not nearly as many tourists and not seedy or dirty.

Have been to Amsterdam again recently with girlfriend. Stayed in Museum district in city centre. Only went into red light district during day as she wanted to see what it was all bout. During the day in fact it is not really seedy or dirty at all, No more dirty than our own city centers. However, go outside the red light district and the city has so much to offer. It is affordable, beautiful, great public transport (trams and subway system), good food, good bars, museums, parks, shops, amazing architecture and if you want, go smoke a big joint. It’s a great place, that is far cheaper than rip off Ireland. If decriminalizing dope leads to us being a fraction as efficient as the Dutch then im all for it as im sick of this rip off country with terrible services.

P.S. Have you ever seen a couple of loved up people on ecstacy being aggressive as I never have. Its the booze that turns our streets into dangerous places on a night out and uses up the resources of our accident and emergency services.

lolz, i don't have to pay for sex. Only losers need to do that, eh?
    Couldn't agree more, but its clear from your previous post that you saw no more of the city.

Couldn't agree more, but its clear from your previous post that you saw no more of the city.

Well that was a silly assumption on your part, now wasn't it?

Long term cannabis lowers libido, it doesn't increase it.
    Therefore in a locality where cannabis use is rife, you'd expect less sex, not more.

• Advertisement

Nope, perfectly reasonable assumption.
    Amsterdam is indeed a grotty place
    Though now I have a new assumption: You were never there at all, you're just spouting shìte about stuff you know nothing about.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭EI111

In fairness I don't think grotty is a word many people would associate with the city of amsterdam outside the de wallen area which contains the red light district.

to add, the only similarity that there is between coffee shops and the prostitution in Amsterdam is that they are both decriminalized, it ends there. They do not follow each other as you point out.

Example of this is the 2006 world cup in Germany. Prostitution was decriminalized with temporary brothels being set up in cities. What followed was the same seedy behavior you would see in the red light district, mainly drunk tourists paying fro sex in front of everybody There was no cannabis around as this was illegal. You have failed to back up your point with any facts. Troll? or just plain ignorant

RedPlanet wrote: »
    Long term cannabis lowers libido, it doesn't increase it.

All the more reason to criminalise it then.

Good.

Nope, perfectly reasonable assumption.

What? That I spent ALL my time in the Red Light District when I visited there? No, that's just silly. Does your mind work in extremes only? It seems that way.
    Though now I have a new assumption: You were never there at all, you're just spouting shìte about stuff you know nothing about.

Also a silly assumption, and also based on dichotomous thinking. Hey, not only is the world not black & white, but there are loads of colours too. Check it out sometime.

long term drinking and cigarette smoking also lowers your libido, but these two substances are legal. Care to comment

long term drinking and cigarette smoking also lowers your libido, but these two substances are legal. Care to comment

I assume that's addressed to me. I don't drink or smoke, if they could be effectively outlawed, I would support it.

It was directed at you and thank you for responding. The fact is, cannabis is criminalised so at present you have nothing to worry about. if you are against cigs and alcohol also, why not spend your time trynig to get them outlawed as they are legal, socially accepted and a hug part of our society. Cannabis will never or at least for a long long time be decriminalised in this country so don't worry about it. We're just talking about a 'what if' scenario as politicans would never suggest this as it would be political suicide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Would you mind lending me your copy of Reefer Madness once you're finished with it?
    All the more reason to criminalise it then.

Good.
    You're just moving goalposts now.

Pace2008 wrote: »
    Would you mind lending me your copy of Reefer Madness once you're finished with it?

You're just moving goalposts now.

These posts are getting barmy. Are you guys all wacked out on the old laughing grass?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Smoking cannabis, like any drug, is a personal choice which is nobody's business except the person contemplating it. It should solely be that person who makes the decision.

Consenting adults should be allowed to do anything which does not infringe the rights of anyone who did not get a choice. In saying that, I accept that publicly smoking cannabis, just like tobacco, could have second hand effects and should be regulated just like tobacco is, but it's not the government's job to make people's personal morality decisions and they should never have the power to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

d4v1d wrote: »
    would anyone in this country have the balls to try and bring this up in the government? one person i know of, luke flanagan (i think that's his name), aka ming the merciless, and he was so quickly ridiculed and shot down that it would be enough to disuade anyone else from even trying.

personally i voted for him. what else could i have done. even though people know of many good reasons why all recreational drugs should be brought into a controlled business environment, what is anyone going to do?

does anyone have any ideas on how to bring this concept forward and get it seriously discussed at leinster house? there are two problems i can see with this, the government don't want to deal with it and the importers/distributers certainly don't want the government dealing with this as they'd lose a fortune.

Emmet Stagg, Labour TD, suggested we have a discussion on the matter a few months ago.

Google news stories with his name in it and something is sure to come up. He was on The Last Word about it at the time.

Makes perfect sense to at least debate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

These posts are getting barmy. Are you guys all wacked out on the old laughing grass?
    Your unfounded link between cannabis and sexual deviance reminded me of those old anti-marijuana propaganda movies:

reefer-madness.jpg

Sin & insanity. Two more reasons to keep the stuff banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

As I understand the law, every crime has a victim, or at least a potential victim. Everything from tax evasion to speeding affects 'someone else' in some way or other.

Where is the victim with cannabis use? Where is the crime?

Sin & insanity. Two more reasons to keep the stuff banned.

Explain to me how sin and insanity are 'reasons' for keeping cannabis illegal?

pueblo wrote: »
    As I understand the law, every crime has a victim, or at least a potential victim. Everything from tax evasion to speeding affects 'someone else' in some way or other.

Where is the victim with cannabis use? Where is the crime?

I'd imagine the folk who deal in these shipments are the forgiving kind...

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/1109/1224258394029.html

Spare me the cottage industry myth.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/1109/1224258394029.html

Yes of course these scumbags are criminals and commit crimes, no argument there.

But someone who grows a plant in their own house for their own use, where is the victim/crime there?

Also, you have just made the most persuasive argument for regulation. Regulate it and you seriously limit the funding going to organised crime.

pueblo wrote: »
    Yes of course these scumbags are criminals and commit crimes, no argument there.

But someone who grows a plant in their own house for their own use, where is the victim/crime there?

I'm afraid that isn't quite the same question.

• Advertisement

There's no need for shipments when folks are permitted to grow it in their own homes and gardens.

Advertisement