Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chappie (Neil Blomkamp)

• 04-11-2014 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭

First trailer was released today. Big fan of Blomkamp so I am very much looking forward to this, looks fantastic.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I was curious about how they animated Chappie: Sharlto says they did "poor man's motion capture", manually animating Chappie to match his movements. A robot with a Sarf Efrican ekcent ..! :pac:

(can't believe there isn't a thread on this already - I did search)

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,134 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

bnt wrote: »
    (can't believe there isn't a thread on this already - I did search)

:D you should have waited a couple of seconds: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057320725

Well played lads :pac:

Edit: Looks really interesting, I'm a sucker for self aware robot movies anyway and it has Die Antwoord in it too. Hopefully a return to form after Elysium. I didn't think Elysium was particularly bad, just much too by the numbers and I expect more from the director of District 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

...great minds!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Elyisum was a classic case of style over substance imo: the world-building and attention to detail in the everyday was sublime, and had a grungy, lo-tech sensibility that was quite absorbing - it's just a shame the world itself didn't stand up to any kind of scrutiny and the plot completely went off the rails in the finale act.

Still looking forward to this though and looks intriguing, though this feels oddly similar to Blomkamp's previous films: is he a one-man purveyor of South African slum-sci-fi or something? It is nice to watch a trailer featuring non-American accents though, makes a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,119 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Really looking forward to seeing this, the trailer has only raised my expectations further.... I just hope it doesn't go down the same path as District 9 with Chappie merely taking the place of the aliens or suchlike & we get a truly 'new' story to add to Blomkamps work...
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,302 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

has the same general theme as the recent Automata with Antonio Banderas

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Really enjoyed District 9 and found Elysium decent so will definitely watch this. Hope Blomkamp takes it easy on the shaky cam.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Skerries wrote: »

Thanks for that, just watched the trailer and it looks pretty good. Had completely passed me by somehow, though I try to keep an eye on whatolks from Spanish cinema are up to.

Also, this has Die Antwoord in it, whats not to like?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Gintonious wrote: »
    Also, this has Die Antwoord in it, whats not to like?

The Slumdog Millionaire fella.

• Advertisement

The Slumdog Millionaire fella.

Touche.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Skerries wrote: »
    And Short Circuit. So if Steve Guttenberg doesn't have a cameo, I won't be happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I'm also getting a bit of a Robocop vibe here - with a ruined downtown Johannesburg in place of a ruined downtown Detroit.

BTW - in case anyone's wondering, "Chappie" is just local slang for "buddy" or "mate". The locations appear to be centred more on downtown Jo'Burg, instead of Soweto - which may be only a few km away, but may as well have been a different country during the Apartheid years. The skyscraper in the background at 1:20 is the Carlton Centre, the tallest office building in Africa: I was there around 1990 and went up to the top floor viewing gallery, but I hardly recognise the surrounding area any more.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Squeedily Spooch

What's the betting they wanted to call it Chap-E but didn't want to annoy Disney's legal team.

Blomkamp makes interesting if flawed films, Elysium had some great ideas but a poor execution and some massive plot holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Quite liking the almost Vangelis type music in the trailer, hope that stays for the final release.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

The second trailer has been released, though this gives away more of the story so you might want to avoid it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Going to try stay away from the rest of the trailers for this. The first one piqued my interest quite a bit & I can't remember the details of it so really looking forward to this film.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The first trailer was definitely the more enigmatic of the two; this one's very generic, complete with stupidly melodramatic taglines and strained details of what the plot involves, who the various people are etc. I'm still intrigued by the film, but could have done without the cookie-cutter, uninspired trailer. The FX still looks pretty amazing too...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Just watched the trailer for this. It's Short Circuit meets Robocop.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭crybaby

The end of Elysium was awful awful stuff like watching a 80's action flick and it could have been a good film

District 9 on the other hand was fantastic so more than willing to give this a chance, I get the feeling however that he might be a bit stuck as a director in terms of his material so I'm not expecting to be wowed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I watched about 30 seconds of the trailer and that was enough to convince me it's a must see - seems like a big budget version of his early short Tetra Vaal!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Like others I saw the first trailer and am staying away from anything else.

Really looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Otacon wrote: »
    The second trailer has been released, though this gives away more of the story so you might want to avoid it.

Just watched that. The bit with Jackman having a snoop with the binoculars is hilarious. It's like something out of Scooby-Doo. Blomkamp's effect work is amazing in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Out this weekend, Think i will go see it Saturday night. Initial IMDB score is good at 8.6, lets hope it stays that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭mark13

Looks like another dud from Blomkamp - currently 20% on Rotten Tomatoes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Out this weekend, Think i will go see it Saturday night. Initial IMDB score is good at 8.6, lets hope it stays that way.

It's 8.0 atm. Going to avoid the trailers if I can and see this ASAP.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

mark13 wrote: »
    Looks like another dud from Blomkamp - currently 20% on Rotten Tomatoes.

54% from the critics only. No audience rating yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I think it's good his next film is Alien, mainly because it takes him away from the slums mixed with technology in a near-future, lack of subtlety in it's messages and using the same characters (icy authoritive figure + main military henchman with no empathy towards hero) which this film seems to be slated for.

Still looking forward to it, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Trailer looks good - but the name is terrible, it would nearly put you off watching, what the hell was thinking calling it chappie ffs!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Trailer looks good - but the name is terrible, it would nearly put you off watching, what the hell was thinking calling it chappie ffs!

I know, it sounds like a childrens robot tv program or something !

That clip, with your one from die antword telling it its name..bloody hell, cringe city.

Advertisement