Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

St Vincent

• 26-10-2014 1:23pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭

Im starting to value the consensus of people on here more than most film review sites so Im wondering if anyone has seen this Bill Murray film now that its on Netflix?

It seemed to slip under the radar in a big way but has a solid rating on Rotten Tomatoes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Yarf Yarf

I heard Bill Murray on Howard Stern a couple of weeks ago talking about this. I didn't know it was on Netflix already? I didn't even think it was out in Europe yet. It seemed like it had only been released stateside a couple of weeks ago. Apparently it's good though. I want to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Yarf Yarf wrote: »
    I heard Bill Murray on Howard Stern a couple of weeks ago talking about this. I didn't know it was on Netflix already? I didn't even think it was out in Europe yet. It seemed like it had only been released stateside a couple of weeks ago. Apparently it's good though. I want to see it.

Yeah was surprised to hear it's on Netflix I only saw a trailer for it on Wednesday evening at the cinema!

• Registered Users Posts: 84,964 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Looks to be on release over here in the next week, surprised it is on Netflix already

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,134 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Watched it at the weekend, it was enjoyable but pretty predictable/cliched. The story hits every single beat you would expect but I liked it all the same.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

I really enjoyed it. Classic Murray, turned up a notch. Solid performances all round, despite it being a little cliched.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

Must watch this soon. Interested in seeing McCarthy in a more dramatic role.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

Not bad, definitely worth watching, I like McCarthy way back from the time of the gilmore girls

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Enjoyable watch and as usual Bill Murray makes the movie with the kid putting in a good performance too.

Well worth a watch if you are a fan of some of Bill Murrays other recent work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭gucci

I was a little disappointed with this movie. I would class myself as someone who enjoys Murrays movies (I wouldn’t say I was a fan of everything he does, but I enjoy most of the films he does) I hadn’t huge expectations but expected a little more from this.
    Bear in mind I had a fair idea what I was signing up for when the plot is explained as a young boy befriends the grumpy old drunk next door! It just went a little too mushy too quickly for my liking. It did take on to deal with a number of strong issues, alcoholism, dementia, divorce, bullying…but it evolved into some strange type of almost rom com by the end? Maybe it was just me!? I would compare it to Gran Torino, which in its own right had a fairly cliché storyline arc….but I think it delivered a bit more substance over all.

Murray was impressive, as was the young boy and Melissa McCarthy. I thought Namoi Watts character was a little too cheesy and stereotypical, and when coupled with the overall mushiness of the movie I think it really amplified the movies weak spots. Also how does Chris O’Dowd keep getting away with just playing the same character in every single show / movie he has ever been cast in?

Overall I would give it a 5/10, it is watchable and there are some funny / touching moments in it, but it’s a bit too predictable for me. I don’t think this one will deliver Murray his Oscar.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Enjoyed this. Very sweet and moving...there is of course lots of similarities with a few other films but it's a lovely film. Some great lines too and I blubbed like a baby at some parts!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84,964 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I thought Watts as Daka was very good

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭GBXI

Excellent film. Very enjoyable watch. I thought the kid was superb and has serious talent.

Advertisement