Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2015 Cooking Club Week 11: Brekkie Banana Bread (Vegan Friendly & Gluten Free)

Options
  • 19-03-2015 1:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭

This bread is seriously tasty, 2 slices keep hunger at bay until lunch & best of all is full of things that are really good for you! :D Enjoy!!

IMAG0408_zps6svsipij.jpg

Ingredients:

550g Mashed Banana (preferably bordering on overripe)
    280g Porridge
    175g Gluten Free Wholemeal Flour (+ extra for dusting)
    30g Chia Seeds
    20g Hemp Protein
    11g Baking Soda
    10g Raw Cacao
    4g Salt
    3g Cinnamon
    85ml Maple Syrup
    60ml Non Dairy Milk (I usually use rice milk)
    45ml Melted Coconut Oil (+ extra for greasing)
    5ml Vanilla Extract
    1.25ml Cider Vinegar
    Tiny bit of brown sugar for sprinkling

Method:

Heat oven to 180°

1) Grease your loaf tin with some coconut oil and dust with flour (shaking out any excess).

2) Throw the porridge into your food processor or blender and blitz for a minute.

2) Combine the blitzed porridge, wholemeal flour, chia seeds, hemp protein, baking soda, raw cacao, salt & cinnamon in a large bowl.

3) Mix your mashed banana, maple syrup, milk, coconut oil, vanilla extract and cider vinegar in a separate bowl.

4) Add the banana mixture to the dry ingredients and give it a good mixing.

5) Pour the mixture into your greased loaf tin, sprinkle with some brown sugar and pop it into the oven for 40ish minutes.
    (After 40 minutes insert a skewer into the center and if it comes out clean your done, if not give it 5 minutes and try again, I've had loaves take up to 55 minutes)

6) Best served covered in your favorite nut butter while rushing out the door at 7am!

Disclaimer: While the recipe above is vegan friendly and gluten free yours doesn't have to be, just substitute the gluten free wholemeal flour & non dairy milk for whatever you've got.
    Disclaimer 2: Obviously not everyone will have hemp protein, raw cacao & chia seeds in the cupboard but you should be able to pick then up in any good supermarket (my local supervalue) or health food shop, €20 worth of ingredients will make a lot of loaves! (If you really must you can leave them out without altering any other quantities)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

This sounds like a great breakfast alternative! I'm going to try it with all the gluten and dairy I can fit into it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭billiejosie

This looks fab! Always delighted when people post gluten free recipes, will def be trying this one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

Thanks for the recipe, bread is very tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I loved it! I didn't have hemp protein, so I added milled flaxseed instead. and I used almond milk. Baked it for 50 min, and I left the sugar at the top out. Will definitely make this again and again. Thanks Elbow.

IMG_20150505_130849_zpshcw98nxg.jpg

IMG_20150505_130623_zpsy8xektqx.jpg

Advertisement