Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2012 Cooking Club Week 2b: Indian Resturant curries

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Meself

yes 16 onions for sure :)

Sound. Thanks for getting back to me. Bought another net which will cover it . Savage amount of onions ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

Meself wrote: »
    Sound. Thanks for getting back to me. Bought another net which will cover it . Savage amount of onions ☺

yes they are the main body of the base. it all turns into curry magic later :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Did the rogan josh tonight, smelt really spicey-tasted just right!

Did the rogan josh tonight, smelt really spicey-tasted just right!

glad it worked out for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Made this bad boy last night! Chicken Biryani with red peppers, walnuts, raisins, mushrooms and roasted red / white onions. Savage!

zrUDMPY.jpg

• Advertisement

looks amazing, nice ingredients...

i though i might add this recipe, as people may want some new things to try.
    This is my current addiction it would fit the Hot/very spicy category. The flavors are full on but never get too much imho.

Its definitely my firm favorite at the moment.

Chilli Masala

1 chef spoon vegetable oil.
    1.5tsp tsp ginger/garlic paste
    1.5tbs tomato paste
    (Optional) 4 green chillies(slit down the middle and deseeded)
    1tsp chilli powder
    1tsp fenugreek leaves
    1tbs curry masala
    1tbs Pataks Chilli pickle
    0.75 tsp salt
    1 ladel of curry base
    precooked meats
    1.5-2 ladels curry base
    1tsp lemon juice
    1tbs chopped coriander

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭gagomes

Chicken Ceylon + Veg Fried Rice

11257240_10204466621761707_7523190239625320892_n.jpg?oh=fbcc26bbc2997ca2efb1b90e358a79a4&oe=55FC3A92&__gda__=1441988251_d66fb30fa1e3bb211d4e2aa5e5abed5d

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Goolay

Chilli Masala

One of my favourites! Can't wait to try this.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

gagomes wrote: »
    Chicken Ceylon

What's Chicken Ceylon, haven't seen it mentioned so far

• Advertisement

Chicken Ceylon + Veg Fried Rice

ooohh I could dive into that :D
    its not very common in these parts although i have seen it on the odd menu.
    its Sri Lankan afak, I have never tried it but would really love to.

Any chance you could share the recipe?

Goolay wrote: »
    One of my favourites! Can't wait to try this.

the chilli pickle is just fantastic in this one. it totally brings it alive. you wont be disappointed :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭irishproduce

i though i might add this recipe, as people may want some new things to try.
    This is my current addiction it would fit the Hot/very spicy category. The flavors are full on but never get too much imho.

Its definitely my firm favorite at the moment.

Chilli Masala

1 chef spoon vegetable oil.
    1.5tsp tsp ginger/garlic paste
    1.5tbs tomato paste
    (Optional) 4 green chillies(slit down the middle and deseeded)
    1tsp chilli powder
    1tsp fenugreek leaves
    1tbs curry masala
    1tbs Pataks Chilli pickle
    0.75 tsp salt
    1 ladel of curry base
    precooked meats
    1.5-2 ladels curry base
    1tsp lemon juice
    1tbs chopped coriander

How much curry base? You have it there twice...is that in order of adddition to the pan?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

How much curry base? You have it there twice...is that in order of adddition to the pan?

That's the order in which to add the ingredients. So first add the 1 ladle then the next ingredient and then the 1.5 to 2 ladles

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    That's the order in which to add the ingredients. So first add the 1 ladle then the next ingredient and then the 1.5 to 2 ladles

yes Gerry is right. I write it like that to make it easy to follow while your cooking :)

the cooking method is very similar curry to curry. Usually after the 1st ladle of base goes in, you reduce it down until the oils come out before adding the next ingredients. I posted a video a few pages back showing the cooking method. I might do another video for this one as i cook it very often lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Goolay

WjPkXp3.jpg

Chilli Masalla was incredible. I messed it up and put in 1.5 tablespoons of garlic/ginger paste instead of 1.5 teaspoons, but was still delicious.

looks drewlicious :D

Mellor wrote: »
    What's Chicken Ceylon, haven't seen it mentioned so far

It's a dish that's characterized by intense heat (madras level and above), a thick tomato sauce, some notes of coconut and lemon which make it sweet and sour. It's sri lankan as Curry Addict mentioned.

ooohh I could dive into that biggrin.png
    its not very common in these parts although i have seen it on the odd menu.
    its Sri Lankan afak, I have never tried it but would really love to.

Any chance you could share the recipe?

You are very right. It is commonly found on menus in britain, where I found my love for curry. I described my base recipe in post 462#

Ceylon Chicken

350 ml of base
    2 tbsp of oil
    1 tsp of garlic paste
    1 tsp of ginger paste (optional)
    1 hpd tsp of mix powder
    1.5 tsp of dry methi leaves
    3 tbsp of tom puree (watered down 50/50)
    .5 tsp of salt
    1 tbsp of deggi mirch chilli powder (n.b: adjust depending on which chilli powder you choose. Deggi mirch is in my book a 4/10 hot variety)
    1 fresh green chilli
    1/4 a coconut creamed block (try breaking it into small pieces, so ti cooks/melts faster)
    2 tsp of lemon juice (I prefer fresh, but bottled is fine)
    1 tsp of brown sugar (or to taste, you need to balance the acidity)
    1 tsp of finely chopped coriander
    1 portion of chicken (~160g aka a regular chicken breast)

Method:

Heat a pan for 30 secs, then add the oil and let it come to heat (5-15 secs).
    Add chillies
    Add the 2 spoons of separate g&g, stir until the sizzling stops
    Add mix powder, methi and stir.
    Add lemon and the tomato puree, stir and let the tomato sauce reduce a little
    Add first ladle of base and stir and let it come to temperature.
    Add the coconut creamed block and stir.
    Once it starts bubbling and the coconut is starting to melt and form a creamy texture in your dish, add the chicken.
    Reduce the base, scrape well the sides and bottom to avoid burning/sticking.
    Add coriander
    Add second ladle
    Add sugar, taste for salt/sweetness and serve.

If balanced well, the dish will be covering quite a few spots. Apologies if I missed something in the recipe. I just wrote it on the spot :)

perfect thanks! looking forward to trying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Tried the chilli masalla recipe tonight. Turned out exactly the same as the one they cook in Kasturi in Lucan which is my favourite dish there so was delighted with myself.
    Didn't use the Pataks pickle but one I got in Eurasia up in Fonthill today. Certainly did the trick but made the dish just a bit overly salty.

• Advertisement

Heroditas wrote: »
    Tried the chilli masalla recipe tonight. Turned out exactly the same as the one they cook in Kasturi in Lucan which is my favourite dish there so was delighted with myself.
    Didn't use the Pataks pickle but one I got in Eurasia up in Fonthill today. Certainly did the trick but made the dish just a bit overly salty.

Congrats 'neighbour' :-)

The only dish I tried to replicate which was not particularly easy was their Shashlik, which is my favourite dish from that restaurant. I think I've come some way, but not quite there yet.

Great it worked out for you the chilli pickle is a great addition, it really gives it an ummmf :) maybe the brand you got is saltier than patacks...

I had some curries in Kasturi and was always happy with them.

Congrats 'neighbour' :-)

The only dish I tried to replicate which was not particularly easy was their Shashlik, which is my favourite dish from that restaurant. I think I've come some way, but not quite there yet.

I've always found their shashlik can vary quite a bit. Still nice though.

Great it worked out for you the chilli pickle is a great addition, it really gives it an ummmf :) maybe the brand you got is saltier than patacks...

I had some curries in Kasturi and was always happy with them.

It's a pity its so salty because I also have some salt in the gravy so once the gravy is made, it's hard not to "salt it up".
    I also added a tablespoon of Degi Mirch to give it a bit of a kick! :D

It's a pity its so salty because I also have some salt in the gravy so once the gravy is made, it's hard not to "salt it up".
    :D

next time, maybe leave the salt out of the curry, taste at the end and add some if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭jimfinoc

It's a dish that's characterized by intense heat (madras level and above), a thick tomato sauce, some notes of coconut and lemon which make it sweet and sour. It's sri lankan as Curry Addict mentioned.

You are very right. It is commonly found on menus in britain, where I found my love for curry. I described my base recipe in post 462#

Ceylon Chicken

350 ml of base
    2 tbsp of oil
    1 tsp of garlic paste
    1 hpd tsp of mix powder
    .5 tsp of salt
    1 tbsp of deggi mirch chilli powder (n.b: adjust depending on which chilli powder you choose. Deggi mirch is in my book a 4/10 hot variety)
    1 fresh green chilli
    1/4 a coconut creamed block (try breaking it into small pieces, so ti cooks/melts faster)

Method:

Add chillies
    Once it starts bubbling and the coconut is starting to melt and form a creamy texture in your dish, add the chicken.
    Add coriander
    Add second ladle

If balanced well, the dish will be covering quite a few spots. Apologies if I missed something in the recipe. I just wrote it on the spot :)

Can you just tell me what the Mix Powder consists of?
    Thanks

jimfinoc wrote: »
    Thanks

mix powder is just another name for curry masala.

Thanks

I use the bruce edwards mix powder, the ratios are:

8 parts coriander powder
    7 parts tumeric powder
    5 parts cumin powder
    4 parts curry powder
    4 parts paprika

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭jimfinoc

Ceylon Chicken

350 ml of base
    2 tbsp of oil
    1 tsp of garlic paste
    1 hpd tsp of mix powder
    .5 tsp of salt
    1 fresh green chilli

Method:

Add chillies
    Add coriander
    Add second ladle

One more question. how much weight is "1/4 a coconut creamed block"

One more question. how much weight is "1/4 a coconut creamed block"

Good question! It's 50g. A whole block is 200g. If you buy the creamed coconut from the brand pataks, available from tesco, it comes in 2 sachets which are split in the middle (if I recall correctly). So you only need half one of the sachets. You can reduce/add more as to your coconut taste preferences. This is used to add texture and that mouthful type sensation, and of course, the coconut fragrance and taste! To be fair, most indian restaurants use coconut flour and not creamed block for cost and speed of service, but I find that it's much harder to get a smooth texture with it and taste wise, it's no different.

N.B: To be fair, it's perfectly fine if you choose to buy from any other brand. I buy KTC. I have not noticed differences between brands. The only thing to bear in mind, is distribution of fat (coconut oil) and coconut solids. If you look at the picture below, there is a part of the coconut block that looks whiter than the rest. That's the fat. You will need some of that, but don't use it all. It's good fat, but it's very caloric and it's not the most flavoursome part of the creamed block.

Oprah-040-620x300.jpg

P.S: I found ceylon curry in the menus of Jewel in the Crown in ballsbridge (one of my favourite curry establishments in Dublin) :-)

• Advertisement

Gagomes, you said you rated Degi Mirch as a 4/10 in terms of heat. Which ones would you rate as much hotter? I'm in the market for a very nice hot powder.

Advertisement