Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2015 Cooking Club Week 9: Rasher and Sausage Pie

• 06-03-2015 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,312 ✭✭✭

Rasher and Sausage Pie

My favourite childhood meal was my Mum's Rasher and Sausage Pie that she served for tea every Saturday. It's a very easy dish to make and you can add ingredients to your liking – mushrooms, black pudding and a fried or poached egg placed on top of each serving also goes down very well.

For health reasons, I grill the sausages but you can fry them and retain the fat to add to the rasher/onion mixture for extra tasteness.

Ingredients
    800g of potatoes
    450g Sausages
    250g Streaky Smoked Bacon
    1 Large Onion – Finely chopped
    2 Large Tomatoes - Sliced (include any juice)

002_zpsajnik0lv.jpg

Preheat oven to 180c

Peel and then cut your potatoes into similar sized chunks. Put into a pot, cover with water and add a teaspoon of salt. Bring to the boil and then hard simmer for 15/20 minutes or until you can pierce the chunks with a sharp knife. When they are cooked, drain completely and put on a low heat to dry out. You can add butter and milk now if you wish, but not compulsory. Mash potatoes and reserve.

Meanwhile, separate your sausages and cook under a medium heat, turning regularly until brown all over. Cut into bite-sized pieces and reserve.

012_zpsw2y8vwum.jpg

With a sharp knife or scissors, cut your rashers into 2cm pieces. Separate the individual pieces and place in a large pan.

008_zps62q3ytkh.jpg

If you aren't using streaky bacon maybe add a bit of oil to the bottom. Fry on a medium heat until the fat from the bacon is released or the bacon starts to sizzle in the oil. Add the chopped onions and fry until translucent. Add the chopped tomatoes. Fry for about 5 minutes until the bacon is cooked. Add the chopped sausages and mix everything together.

013_zpswcx9bhzg.jpg

Place the rasher/sausage mixture into a large oven proof dish and level out.
    Add the mash potato and with a fork, distribute evenly across the top of the dish. Lots of furrows means lots of crispy potato topping!

018_zpsla27bivh.jpg

019_zpsexsk3wer.jpg

Place in the oven for 20 minutes or so until the topping is brown and crispy and the juices from the rasher/sausage mix is bubbling.

Told you it was easy!

024_zps8dnkovts.jpg

I was dying to post this a few weeks ago when the sausage recipe thread was running, I'll stick a link to it now!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Childhood memories coming back! I used to have this, just not so sophisticated as to be made into a pie. Rashers grilled so the fat went crispy, sausages, mash and tomato sauce all mixed together. Nom! The rashers had to be crispy, caus the best bit was finding little nuggets to crunch on every now and then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

It's like a dry coddle, i'm all over this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭billiejosie

Comfort on a plate - def trying this out!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,055 ✭✭✭✭beertons

That looks amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭squonk

Oh my god! I so have to try this! I need to lose weight theough. Bad OP, bad, bad OP!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Ohhhh..... this looks tasty!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

You'd know I don't make sausages very often when I almost burn the whole lot in the grill. :pac:

This was perfect, thanks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Could I freeze this in a few portions? I'm not sure how the potato would work in the freezer, or the sausages for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,312 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

EGriff wrote: »
    Could I freeze this in a few portions? I'm not sure how the potato would work in the freezer, or the sausages for that matter.

As long as you don't put butter or milk in the mash, I reckon you should be fine.

Advertisement