Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

fuel economy calculator

• 09-05-2012 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭

hi this is a calculator i made last summer as a project with the intention of puting it online. sorta forgot about it then till i got an email to renew the domain name so said it stick it up now.

might be handy for some, its for finding out the cost of fuel for a particular car over a certain amount of time. you can then compare a second car to see how much you would save / lose by changing.

maybe some of you can check my maths and see if the calculations are correct :confused:

also any other calculators you would like me to add ? was thinking of maybe the saving of a car in the new cc tax system over engine size tax system over a certain no of years to see if its woth paying the extra for an 08 but guess i should have done that a few years ago:)

heres the link anyway www.FuelEconomyCalculator.net

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

You should include metric units like litres/100km instead of MPG for fuel consumption and km instead of miles for mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

Fix the spelling too ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

CiniO wrote: »
    You should include metric units like litres/100km instead of MPG for fuel consumption and km instead of miles for mileage.

Why? The project seems to be pretty much finished as far as OP is concerned and personally I still use MPG calculations.

There's a German one to do ongoing Euro calcs plus comparisons with other cars with same engine etc. and no doubt a few US ones as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭ronanphilip

thanks for the replies folks
    CiniO wrote: »
    do you think I should actually replace mpg with km and mpg with L/100km or just add a converter? I went with mpg as thats what I tend to use, and most of the threads I see on here seem to talk in mpg
    Fix the spelling too
    fixed I think

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I usually use this one.

Being a 'mile guy' re-fuelling in lts it works for me. Also you can put in your anual mileage and it will tell you how much same will cost you.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

I went with mpg as thats what I tend to use, and most of the threads I see on here seem to talk in mpg ...
    I'd suggest sticking a button on each calculator to do the new-fangled euro stuff (it'll never catch on).

Looks neat, Java?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

do you think I should actually replace mpg with km and mpg with L/100km or just add a converter? I went with mpg as thats what I tend to use, and most of the threads I see on here seem to talk in mpg
    What I meant to provide option for both.
    While in fact most people in Ireland still use miles and MPG, but official units are metric so km and litres/100km should be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

http://www.fuelly.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

For iPhone?

App: Road Trip Lite
    Paid version also available for extra features, but free version does exactly what you want.

Input milage, fuel price and how much you put in every time you top up, it does the rest. Obviously you need to fill it every now and again for it to get proper readings.

Here's some screen shots from mine (full version)

Ebof0.jpg

jRzmg.jpg

yDDF1.jpg

Don't personally use it but I see plenty of people on here do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

I use my own calculator that does what I want it to do, and I also keep some service history that happens at given date / mileage, etc.
    Example:

6797415419_f71a53b9ab_b.jpg

I use excel on the laptop :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

+1 for road trip lite

No harm to know what mpg you're doing and what you're paying for fuel a year but damn, some of y'all are anal about it! :eek:

They're not ornaments, you can do nothing about the price of fuel, just drive them on! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    They're not ornaments, you can do nothing about the price of fuel, just drive them on! :)
    Some people just wish to know what their annual budget can do for them and if they can afford to drive a car at all. Fair play to you, if you do not need to worry about it ;).

............. some of y'all are anal about it! :eek:

............... just drive them on! :)

I do drive them on :)
    I have all the motoring expenditure recorded though, anal or not, I like to know what the 4 wheeled friends cost me.

Seweryn wrote: »
    Some people just wish to know what their annual budget can do for them and if they can afford to drive a car at all. Fair play to you, if you do not need to worry about it ;).
    RoverJames wrote: »
    I do drive them on :)
    I have all the motoring expenditure recorded though, anal or not, I like to know what the 4 wheeled friends cost me.

I care more about my tax rate TBH! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

No harm to know what mpg you're doing and what you're paying for fuel a year but damn, some of y'all are anal about it! :eek:

I need to justify why I bought a diesel... cut me some slack :D

And you'd be mistaken if you think she's not driven on :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

I made one too just over a year ago, based on a virtualised Excel file I use. Mine has bar charts.. :D
    http://fuel.netcessible.com/

Has all 3 measurement combinations and allows 3 fuel/car types to be compared. Note that the label on the fuel (petrol, biodiesel etc) is just visual and can refer to anything. Same with the £ or EURO symbol.

I need to justify why I bought a diesel... cut me some slack :D

And you'd be mistaken if you think she's not driven on :p

Ah yeh, but you've no choice but to 'drive her on' - that or go backwards! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,280 ✭✭✭positron

Fuelly is really cool - you can not only track your own fuel efficiency, you can also browse what others are getting for the same model/make, or do some research on more efficient models etc.

Advertisement