Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cpu voltage

• 29-05-2011 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

Anyone know the max safe voltage for an amd x3 450? Currently at 1.5, idle temps around 15c under load roughly 40-45. Will i be ok increasing as long as i keep an eye on the temps?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Have you unlocked the fourth core? And what mobo are you using? 1.5V is more than dangerous enough on a cheap mobo, if there are fewer than 5 phases and/or no heatsinks on the MOSFETs the voltage regulators could overheat and explode :o

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭rorymcgrory

690mV

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Bacon and Cabbage

Yeah the fourth core is unlocked and stable. Mobo is a gigabyte 880m ud2h. Safe or should i dial it down? The bios sets it automatically at 1.475v

rory, wtf are you talking about?? :confused:

Coincidentally, the best OCs I've seen for that board cap around 3.9GHz at 1.475V; trying to get past 4GHz using 1.5V doesn't seem to yield stable results on your mobo very often. Only four CPU phases, lots of MOSFETs but no cooling on them. They're arranged together decently enough if you could find a cheap stick-on heatsink but I wouldn't be too bothered modding this cheapish board.

You never said what speed you had it at :p IMHO see if you can dial the voltage down a bit without having to pull too far back speed-wise. This is all for the mobo's benefit, as those Athlon/Phenom2s have a voltage ceiling of 1.55V. Then again if it blows and takes out the CPU 1.55V isn't going to be of much use :o:p

Have dialled down the voltage to 1.45v. Currently at about 3.5 ghz and i've just started up prime95:P How long do you think i should leave prime running to ensure stabiltiy?
    Cheers for the help btw!

• Advertisement

Depends on confidence. If you are, leave it for 15-20 minutes small FFTs before OCing further. If not, run it for 45-90 minutes before continuing. If you're finalising the OC hit it with at least an 8-hour stint before giving it the Peace Of Mind seal of approval. Issues can often show up around six hours in if the system's just that tiny bit unstable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Solitaire wrote: »
    Depends on confidence. If you are, leave it for 15-20 minutes small FFTs before OCing further. If not, run it for 45-90 minutes before continuing. If you're finalising the OC hit it with at least an 8-hour stint before giving it the Peace Of Mind seal of approval. Issues can often show up around six hours in if the system's just that tiny bit unstable.
    this.

I've the same chip as you and I OCd it to 3.5Ghz and was under the impression it was stable because it was fine in prime95 for 5 hours, but after playing mafia 2 for about 2 hours the pc froze constantly, even though I completed the game previously @ stock without issues. ran prime and it started giving errors near enough to 8 hours. I was so annoyed that I just reset my BIOS to stock but with 4th core and L3 cache unlocked, and wasn't arsed OCing again, at least for now.

what temp monitoring software are you using? all of them are broken for me if I unlock my core..?

Edit: actually, if you get a minute, could you post your BIOS settings for me? NB voltages, FBS, multi etc.

I'm using coretemp and it works fine, i have checked with the amd utility and the readings are correct.
    Sure no problem, my fsb is 215mhz, fairly sure it could take 220 but just left it there anyway.
    nb frequency and ht link frequency are both 2150mhz.
    ram is at 1432 mhz
    all voltages are at stock/set automatically by bios, cpu is at 1.475, nb, sb and nb vid all at 1.2.
    Hope that helps! :cool:
    my temps are still fairly good, around 10-15 idle and not breaking 60c under load.
    would be interested in overclocking further if you could give me any advice:)

Advertisement