Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

VRT and Road Tax Evasion

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 407 ✭✭Noel Kinsella

RainyDay wrote: »
    To the best of my knowledge, there is no 'legitimate reason' for anyone living in Ireland to have UK plates.

So you or your friend can sit outside the house for a few hours, and get a nice video showing the car out on the public road. It should help to light a fire under Revenue.

Careful now. Keep your supporters on board.

Sorry for any confusion. The tax evader is Nigerian and the poster was putting up such a vigorous defence of tax evasion I was starting to wonder was the poster the "actual" person we are discussing and actually defending himself ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

The tax evader is Nigerian and the poster in question was putting up such a vigorous defence I was starting to wonder was he actually the offender in question.
    Well as I said, your investigation skills are very badly lacking, proven by your silly conclusion there. A snooper like you should easily find what you are looking for with regards to whether I am Nigerian or not.

Yes I personally would report any nationality and all tax evaders are as bad as each other hope this answers your questions.

Well we know that. Your imaginary friend seems influential on you.

Bruthal wrote: »
    How many have you reported?

Bruthal could you please define "average person" for me ? Do you also evade taxes ?

Well as I said, your investigation skills are very badly lacking, proven by your silly conclusion there. A snooper like you should easily find what you are looking for with regards to whether I am Nigerian or not.

Well we know that. Your imaginary friend seems influential on you.

"imaginary friend" ??? Are you calling me a liar ??? Investigation skills, snooper ? LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

repsol wrote: »
    If OP decides to report his neighbour and the Revenue come knocking he can easily satisfy them by producing his documentation if he has a legitimate reason for UK plates.If he has no reason for having them other than refusal to pay,he deserves to get fined.All this talk of there being a possible explanation ,let him explain to Revenue officers. Its very black and white and they will sort it very fast either in his favour or against.I would have no issue with either Revenue or gardai asking me a few questions. Only those with something to hide would object.

Maybe Revenue / AGS have already been in contact with the OP's foreign neighbour whom he is jealous of.
    Maybe they were satisfied witht he situation.
    Neither has to tell the OP "We got him- thanks for the info" or "He is grand, carry on with your business."

The revelation that he is getting the "refugee dole" indicates to me that the vehicle is in the process of Transfer of residence. He came from where he came from with the foreign reg vehicle. He does not have to pay VRT on it, he merely needs to put the correct irish plates on, at no cost to him (or the exchequer).

As it is the NCT and not the Revenue Commissioners that process these transactions, and there is no money in it for them. There is presumably a "backlog". Backlogs happen in the NCT when there is no profit to be made by them.

In either case, the OP, for whatever reason has reported it, and it is no longer any of his business what happens.

• Advertisement

"imaginary friend" ??? Are you calling me a liar ??? Investigation skills, snooper ? LOL
    You suggested Im nigerian. Lots of evidence on boards to suggest otherwise.

A liar? Probably. But there is a report button, so you should feel at home with that.

Bruthal could you please define "average person" for me ? Do you also evade taxes ?

I didnt pay motor tax for 5 months last year. Am I a tax evader? I could imagine you as a neighbour, camped outside with your camcorder.

I dont think he brought the vehicle with him LOL. Jealous ! Try a bit harder.
    Maybe Revenue / AGS have already been in contact with the OP's foreign neighbour whom he is jealous of.
    Maybe they were satisfied witht he situation.
    Neither has to tell the OP "We got him- thanks for the info" or "He is grand, carry on with your business."

The revelation that he is getting the "refugee dole" indicates to me that the vehicle is in the process of Transfer of residence. He came from where he came from with the foreign reg vehicle. He does not have to pay VRT on it, he merely needs to put the correct irish plates on, at no cost to him (or the exchequer).

As it is the NCT and not the Revenue Commissioners that process these transactions, and there is no money in it for them. There is presumably a "backlog". Backlogs happen in the NCT when there is no profit to be made by them.

In either case, the OP, for whatever reason has reported it, and it is no longer any of his business what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭unichall

Noel you started this thread looking for advice so here is my advice for what it is worth.

Your friend reported this matter and nothing appears to have happened and when he contacted customs to find out why they told him they didn't have the resources to commit to seizing this vehicle, so like it or not case closed. My advice is forget about it. It might not sit right with you or your friend that this guy is appently getting away with it but that is not your call to make either.

Your friend performed his civic duty and reported the matter, professionals with much more experience in dealing with these matters have no doubt looked at the case and decided not to persue it further, for what could be a thousand reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭ManMade

Quote: "Stop using the law as an excuse to nose into other people's business. "
    Unquote: Its everybody`s business its called democratic society.
    Ignore 90% of my post well done.You need to butt out of other people's business.
    Democracy means innocent until proven guilty. Again you are not the judge jury and executioner. This 'Nigerian tax evader' is not guilty. Democracy means everyone has the right to privacy. Not the right to get into other people's business. The idea of neighbour watching neighbour to make everyone is well behaved and reporting those you suspect are not fully law abiding to the state; sounds like nazi germany or the Soviet Union. You keep asking for me to prove myself yet you provide no proof of this man breaking the law. I really hate to have you as my neighbour. May I ask how you know the car is not mot'd? Do you actual snoop around his house? Also please stop selective quoting. I've shown you 3 reasons why no one gives a sht about your neighbour yet you conviently never responded to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

I dont think he brought the vehicle with him LOL. Jealous ! Try a bit harder.

Where did he get it then? Did santa bring it to him?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

An overall profile of the OP`s views is emerging I believe.

I dont think the average person likes the snooping and reporting type, with a hint of racism too. That type of person is not to be trusted in any aspect of life.

Damm sight more than a hint! More like an obsession.

ManMade wrote: »
    I really hate to have you as my neighbour.

Imagine it, checking your car, snooping around, watching his neighbours. And other posters actually believe these type`s of people are liked/needed as neighbours.

And his clear inclination to assume I was Nigerian or a tax evader because I say I believe his type are not liked. That type of person would have that busy body interfering and nosing into other people`s business in all aspects, not just with regard to tax.

Let him at it.

Damm sight more than a hint! More like an obsession.

Indeed yes, I thought the mention of "refugee dole" was a good indication, but the Nigerian obsession is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

Wow I'm very surprised at the personal level of dissatisfaction at the OPs actions.

Just wanted to say that I think that the OP was spot on in reporting the matter. The law is the law and if anyone feels that put out about suspected crimes being reported and action taken in accordance with the law then perhaps they should consider setting up a dictatorship somewhere.

It's more about the fact that the OP should just mind his own business.

No one likes snitches, even if it is breaking the law. Tax and VRT rates in this country are a rip off anyway.

Some people are hard up and people like the OP with the self confessed " nicer and newer car" need to realise that.

Jesus, I hope I don't have neighbours like the OP...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

No, I dont think you would report a family member or friend for no motor tax or tv licence. But you can say you would, or that you would never need to due to them being perfect, to keep the boards persona intact.

Like I said my family and friends don't avoid paying car tax. If they do I'll advise them of the dangers of travelling without same and how inconvenient it can be left without your car on the side of the road. I'm not exactly sure who you think i'd be reporting them to. As to a tv licence, I'm not really sure how you would report someone for that. Seems a bit of an odd addition.

At the end of the day, what you call a snitch I call a witness and I can't see why they should be ashamed of anything.

No one likes snitches, even if it is breaking the law. Tax and VRT rates in this country are a rip off anyway.

You mean the laws you don't like. I'm pretty positive if you were badly assaulted in the street you'd appreciate the "snitch" who identified your attacker to the Gardaí

MagicSean wrote: »

You mean the laws you don't like. I'm pretty positive if you were badly assaulted in the street you'd appreciate the "snitch" who identified your attacker to the Gardaí
    2 totally different situations though and at opposite ends of the spectrum. We are talking about minor white collar crime here and not assault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

well done OP, make no excuse for reporting the suspected crime

evil triumphs when good men do nothing

At the end of the day, what you call a snitch I call a witness and I can't see why they should be ashamed of anything.

I dont use that term.

I wouldnt call someone like the OP or his "friend", who actively go around checking their neighbours cars, with particular interest if they are nigerian, a witness.

2 totally different situations though and at opposite ends of the spectrum. We are talking about minor white collar crime here and not assault.

So it's only bad to be a snitch if it's for a crime you don't believe is important. How might potential touts run there information by you to see if it's a legit crime? Have you a freefone number or something?

• Advertisement

So it's only bad to be a snitch if it's for a crime you don't believe is important. How might potential touts run there information by you to see if it's a legit crime? Have you a freefone number or something?
    Your missing the point... I would never report anyone for evading tax or any such trivial crime as I have better things to do with my life.
    If he wishes to drive the vehicle without tax, run the risk of having it impounded, then that's his business and no one else's.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Less of the personal insults people and keep things civil, unless you would like a holiday from the forum ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

RainyDay wrote: »
    To the best of my knowledge, there is no 'legitimate reason' for anyone living in Ireland to have UK plates.

I am doing exactly that with the permission of the revenue. An english company cannot register a vehicle on Irish plates without a registered company or person in Ireland. If it somehow managed to, it would be unable to get insured. There are temporary exemptions for contracts also.
    The tax evader is Nigerian and....

You don't know they are evading tax. You suspect that. Same as someone would suspect me and be completely 100% in the wrong. What the hell has Nigerian got to do with it?

If you have reported it, it most probably has been looked into and resolved or the experts have decided against persuing it. There is nothing more you can do. Anything else you do thereafter like more complaints to public services will be 'actually wasting' taxpayers money.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,806 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

OP, your question has been answered. It has been reported, on inquiry a reply was given and the resources are not there to put surveillance on this neighbour. At this stage, the best you can do (if you wanted) was to watch when this jeep is being driven and report it to your local station, with the hope that there is a free traffic unit nearby to stop them.

The reality is that the resources are no longer there to be able to follow the majority of people. Response times are increasing at an alarming rate, and the "white collar" crime is being put on the long finger as the resources are concentrating on the more serious and immediate crime.

Regardless of what people say, touts or informants give invaluable information to the authorities (a quick google will show the increase of people reporting social fraud). Unfortunately, all you can do now is wait and hope that someday this person will be caught (if they don't have a legitimate reason).

Remember, a criminal has to be lucky 100% of the time, the authorities only have to be lucky once.

OP, your question has been answered. It has been reported, on inquiry a reply was given and the resources are not there to put surveillance on this neighbour. At this stage, the best you can do (if you wanted) was to watch when this jeep is being driven and report it to your local station, with the hope that there is a free traffic unit nearby to stop them.

The reality is that the resources are no longer there to be able to follow the majority of people. Response times are increasing at an alarming rate, and the "white collar" crime is being put on the long finger as the resources are concentrating on the more serious and immediate crime.

Regardless of what people say, touts or informants give invaluable information to the authorities (a quick google will show the increase of people reporting social fraud). Unfortunately, all you can do now is wait and hope that someday this person will be caught (if they don't have a legitimate reason).

Remember, a criminal has to be lucky 100% of the time, the authorities only have to be lucky once.

He could get onto immigration now, if out of things to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

Glad to see you've come round, bearing in mind you were condeming the "snitches" in the Gardai who brought to light the massive currotion in the penalty points "fixing" scandal.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭murf313

WilcoOut wrote: »

evil triumphs when good men do nothing
    ok batman........:rolleyes:

ManMade wrote: »
    Ignore 90% of my post well done.You need to butt out of other people's business.
    Democracy means innocent until proven guilty. Again you are not the judge jury and executioner. This 'Nigerian tax evader' is not guilty. Democracy means everyone has the right to privacy. Not the right to get into other people's business. The idea of neighbour watching neighbour to make everyone is well behaved and reporting those you suspect are not fully law abiding to the state; sounds like nazi germany or the Soviet Union. You keep asking for me to prove myself yet you provide no proof of this man breaking the law. I really hate to have you as my neighbour. May I ask how you know the car is not mot'd? Do you actual snoop around his house? Also please stop selective quoting. I've shown you 3 reasons why no one gives a sht about your neighbour yet you conviently never responded to them.

Maybe I am your neighbour you never know.......................

I dont use that term.

I wouldnt call someone like the OP or his "friend", who actively go around checking their neighbours cars, with particular interest if they are nigerian, a witness.

Who said people "actively go around checking their neighbours cars" if something is in your face you can see it simple. Who said there was any "particular interest if they are nigerian" the tax evader happens to be nigerian thats all. You are seeing things that are not there it must be your imagination again. So now we know YOU evaded road tax for 5 months and thats why you are so defensive. Shame on you did you not have to fill out a form in the Garda station to say your car was off the road or something ?

• Advertisement

He could get onto immigration now, if out of things to do.
    If he has nothing to hide he wont have a problem will he ? So now your supporting illegal immigrants too ????? What next murder ? Drug dealing ? I really hope your not my neighbour.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement