Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adverts Jobs

• 31-01-2012 4:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Hello all,

Following on from the Announcement on the front page, I wanted a place for anyone to ask any questions about the ads appearing on Boards for Adverts Jobs.

One of the important things is that if you are interested in a job, any submissions you make to Adverts Jobs will have come from them and will not tie into your Boards.ie account in any way - I'm sure most people would prefer to keep their personal account out of work and business!

This is seperate to the Forums, so won't impact on them in any way except that you may see an ad for it.

Please feel free to ask any further questions about it here.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

Most ads i look at (IT), do not show salary details. This seems to be the culture for Irish Job ads, but it's something I find very offputting when I consider submitting an application. If an ad is upfront about all the details, experience required, education, skills, and salary. I can tell if I'm suited to the role and apply. If it's a copy paste listing a previous ad, with no salary, alarm bells go off and I'm gone.

What is the privacy policy for Boards Jobs and the requirements of it's customers regarding passing on CVs/contact details submitter through Boards Jobs to 3rd parties, data retention period and so on.

Is data shared between boards.ie, Boards Jobs, Adverts, Deft.ie etc. for any purpose, including targeted marketing etc.

Boards Jobs can differentiate itself, by having a good minimum standard requirement for qulaity, informative, adverts, and by assuring the user of basic protections from abuse of information submitted through it.

• I think you should ban commission only jobs as point of principle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Neil

Spacedog wrote: »
    Is data shared between boards.ie, Boards Jobs, Adverts, Deft.ie etc. for any purpose, including targeted marketing etc

It all goes through an adverts.ie endpoint on boards and on daft ends. the boards/daft jobs is a skin per sé.

I agree with you about Irish employers omitting salary something that irks me as well when I was looking for jobs moons ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

Nice work adverts.

Just my 2 cents you are missing a section for those seeking internship as i am lol.

But you might say there a place for graduates there but its different from internship.

Nice work on getting the big multinational companies like paypal a few of them are really needed I'm sure you know them and your PR/sales team can get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,597 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Out of curiosity, how long has the Jobs section been up and running?

Noticed there's over 1,500 jobs on offer at the moment, has it been around a while?

• Advertisement

Eod100 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, how long has the Jobs section been up and running?

Noticed there's over 1,500 jobs on offer at the moment, has it been around a while?
    according the the adverts.ie blog http://blog.adverts.ie it was launched in or around (depending how fast they blog these things) on the 22nd of November 2011.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

General info / rules for users advertising jobs is here. Please report any rule breaches as you would on boards. All reports go back to adverts.ie mods (afaik) regardless of what site they are displayed on.

I'll start a sticky on adverts support where you can post general questions or make suggestions for new categories etc.. :)

Edit: Adverts.ie & boards.ie /jobs questions & suggestions

according the the adverts.ie blog http://blog.adverts.ie it was launched in or around (depending how fast they blog these things) on the 22nd of November 2011.
    Claire is pretty fast on the blog so I'd say that's accurate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭meemeep

I think it's brilliant - a great array of jobs - not quite what I'm looking for yet but a good starting point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭denballs

I am just wondering why.....you say so more people see the job listings but those looking for the site would find it through google if they did,nt already know about it.

is it to benefit distilled media.....?
    or do you think this will help people find jobs ?

i really dont see the point

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

denballs wrote: »
    I am just wondering why.....you say so more people see the job listings but those looking for the site would find it through google if they did,nt already know about it.

is it to benefit distilled media.....?
    or do you think this will help people find jobs ?

i really dont see the point

Well its already popped up 3 jobs I am going to send my CV in for that I was unaware of before seeing the Boards.ie skin search so I guess thats the point?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭deco_b

How many developers are they looking for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

deco_b wrote: »
    How many developers are they looking for?
    Do you mean development jobs listed on adverts (which is what they are announcing here) or development jobs at Distilled Media which runs adverts?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭deco_b

Sorry i meant development jobs at Distilled Media.

deco_b wrote: »
    Sorry i meant development jobs at Distilled Media.
    http://www.adverts.ie/jobs/distilled-media/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,235 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I'm quite disappointed to see this "marketing" job being listed.

http://advertsjobs.boards.ie/jobs/xr-marketing/no-experience-but-a-fast-learner-sales-starts/1359249?utm_source=boards-ie&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=ajs

This is not marketing; it looks suspiciously like a door-to-door, commission only job. This thread in work/jobs has plenty of info on what these companies are like. I think listing jobs like this won't help the credibility of this new section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

XR are indeed door to door, pure commision. I interviewed with them at one point. Disappointing to see it there - advertsjobs could be an amazing resource if it just didn't take those kind of ads that other jobs sites are buried in.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

+1 to the above posts.

Door to door selling is one thing, when people are actually paid for it, but commission only jobs certainly shouldn't be advertised here, just look at Jobs.ie and such which are basically full of non-jobs because of these door to door gigs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Ad's being snipped. These "direct marketing" companies cause us an unbelievable amount of stress in the office because so many of them seem to make a habit of having vague ads and so the only place people can find information about them is somewhere like Boards where all they'll see is people saying what an awful experience they had with them.

[edit]
    I forgot to add - thanks for letting us know it was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

I find the adverts.ie site very hard to look at as alot of space is taken up on both sides of the page and has put me off visiting the site.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

patwicklow wrote: »
    I find the adverts.ie site very hard to look at as alot of space is taken up on both sides of the page and has put me off visiting the site.
    If you're talking about the blue space-rocket jobs promotion thing on the page borders, I agree. We've been assured it'll be gone in two days. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

patwicklow wrote: »

I second that. I'm also a windows phone 7 user and browsing adverts on the phone browser has gotten very cumbersome with the blue background in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Is it just me or does the location drop-down selection box on the left not work?

Edit: None of the filters on the left work, am I missing something obvious? :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,235 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Are you using any adblockers?

I have AdBlock installed but it's disabled on Boards including the Adverts Jobs page. I do see all the ads on that page.

Hmm this is only happening on advertsjobs.boards.ie/jobs
    If I go to adverts.ie/jobs it seems to work fine. I presume it's the same results from both and since there's only 18 jobs total in Waterford County it's not that big a problem for me anyway.

That's a bug I'll flag it with the adverts guys when I get into the office.

That's a bug I'll flag it with the adverts guys when I get into the office.

Not really....if you can stop adblock affecting your site fair play to you

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

denballs wrote: »
    Not really....if you can stop adblock affecting your site fair play to you

denballs, if you have nothing constructive to contribute to this thread, then please don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

The site is back to normal with out all them ads in your face every were, good!

• Advertisement

I withdraw my previous negativity on the subject i like what you guys have done...the tab on the right though.....a few cool suggestions...

1.Can you make it a live stream.
    2.Allow signed in users to set preferences to what type/location of jobs are displayed.
    3.turn it into an app for iphone/android

Advertisement