Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"Leap" into the unknown: The feedback thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭stop

Stevek101 wrote: »
    I think this rolling day lark is to allow people to travel within a zone without having to pay more? They reason it later on in the dertermination. I reckon it'll be cheaper regardless after the next fare increase late 13 or next year.

Yup if DB is anything to go by, they'll increase the price of the existing ticket in an effort to push people to leap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

stop wrote: »
    Yup if DB is anything to go by, they'll increase the price of the existing ticket in an effort to push people to leap.

The gap between cash and Leap is to increase each time the fare is changed. That was already stated clearly by the NTA. I vaguely remember seeing the target being 40%.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭The Maverick

You also get to use ticket as many times as you want in 7 days, instead of having 10 journeys total as it is now. This is useful if you want to get the bus at weekends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

You also get to use ticket as many times as you want in 7 days, instead of having 10 journeys total as it is now. This is useful if you want to get the bus at weekends.

So is the 10 journey ticket actually going to be available on Leap card and if so then why is there no saving for using Leap cards? People will have to spend more then make unnecessary journeys to make a saving??

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭The Maverick

10 journey ticket is gone apparently. As the others have said, the cash fare is going to be pushed up and up until it overtakes the Leap fare anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Will you be able to collect an online top up on BÉ busses? If not and you live far from a shop with a working leap setup then you're getting screwed

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭smackyB

One thing I'm curious about is when a DB inspector reads a leap card, can they see at what stage of the journey the fare was paid (i.e did the person pay enough for the amount of stages they've gone?) or do they just see the amount paid and assume that's enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

The card stores the boarded and destination stage ID

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Will you be able to collect an online top up on BÉ busses? If not and you live far from a shop with a working leap setup then you're getting screwed

There is currently a situation with Bus Éireann where on-line ten journey tickets and other tickets bought on-line can't be used on most of the Monday morning services from outlying yards and depots like the shed in Edenderry because the ticket machines have not been updated with the online ticket details.

This is set to continue for a long time so Leap card won't be any better, also the drivers insist on passengers especially schoolchildren paying in cash even though they have a valid on-line ticket!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭McG

you should be able to use auto top up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Notice today the driver hadn't got the machine set correctly . He charged me 1.90 which is correct but to O'Connell St instead of Mount St.

What would happened if an inspector got on ? What do that little handheld thing show them, does it show the time of boarding? ?

Boarding stage, date, time, bus fleet number, route number

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Notice today the driver hadn't got the machine set correctly . He charged me 1.90 which is correct but to O'Connell St instead of Mount St.

What would happened if an inspector got on ? What do that little handheld thing show them, does it show the time of boarding? ?

Same thing will happen with paper tickets. Tell the inspector why you got on and where you intend to get off. If the fare matches, they'll know the machine wasn't set to the right stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Apologies if this has been posted already…

I see there is now an option to purchase an adult personalised Leap card on the website with your photo and name printed. There are currently no tickets available but I wonder does this mean that the monthly annual tickets will be available soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Any Bus Leap Card users experiencing difficulties or perhaps noticing anything different with usage today ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

I'm guessing the capping 10,000 euro message has started to appear beyond the Summerhill routes?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I'm guessing the capping 10,000 euro message has started to appear beyond the Summerhill routes?

Saw it on a few 37s. They'er based out in Phibsborough AFAIK.

Not just the capping message,but rather an additional delay before the Leap display appears,plus a rather significant double beep when other Smart Cards are presented to the remote validator.

This initially results in a problem tone,quickly followed by the successful one,but It causes many users to pause and check the display rather than simply walk on.

Given that the On Bus cap will be a static weekly one,I would have expected the software mod to be relatively minor.

Instead,I am seeing yet another decrease in LeapCard functionality,and quite a significant one in terms of individual LeapCard transaction time.

I may well be alone in this,but I see it as a MAJOR issue,which should not be simply allowed to develop any further.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Lifelike

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Not just the capping message,but rather an additional delay before the Leap display appears,plus a rather significant double beep when other Smart Cards are presented to the remote validator.

This initially results in a problem tone,quickly followed by the successful one,but It causes many users to pause and check the display rather than simply walk on.

Given that the On Bus cap will be a static weekly one,I would have expected the software mod to be relatively minor.

Instead,I am seeing yet another decrease in LeapCard functionality,and quite a significant one in terms of individual LeapCard transaction time.

I may well be alone in this,but I see it as a MAJOR issue,which should not be simply allowed to develop any further.

I've noticed that problem tone followed by successful tone in the past few weeks, it seems to occur when child and student tickets are scanned, but not for adult tickets.

Maybe Dublin Bus are trying to clamp down on the abuse of child and student tickets, but it is extremely annoying. I've seen many people think that they're tickets haven't scanned properly when in fact they have, due to this.

Was thinking the same myself. I've never had an issue with my 30 day Adult on Summerhill routes but you can hear it happening regularly to other people.

Also I've never had an issue with slower speed on the Leap where the cap was set at €10,000. It isn't the quickest thing in the world but most definitely not a MAJOR issue. I'd imagine we are reaching the limit for the Wayfarer machine. I can't see there being money available to replace them anytime soon though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

This initially results in a problem tone,quickly followed by the successful one,
    Passengers using of the driver's terminal don't get a tone (inaudible due to driver's screen). Is it that there is now a variety of tones and it isn't actually a negative tone?
    There will be multiple caps, daily, weekly, etc.
    but It causes many users to pause and check the display rather than simply walk on.
    Also I've never had an issue with slower speed on the Leap where the cap was set at €10,000. It isn't the quickest thing in the world but most definitely not a MAJOR issue.
    It is more a human issue, with the delay as people ask "Why does it say €9998.90 / €10,000?"

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Thought I noticed another beep myself, but didn't think much of it

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Victor wrote: »

I doubt there'll be a monthly cap? That'd be perfect.

Passengers using of the driver's terminal don't get a tone (inaudible due to driver's screen). Is it that there is now a variety of tones and it isn't actually a negative tone?

It is more a human issue, with the delay as people ask "Why does it say €9998.90 / €10,000?"

Not a single LeapCard user has queried me on the €9999 issue,however several have expressed frustration at their card not displaying,and then sought reassurance that I had not double charged them,when the screen finally lit-up in Leap mode.

The remote validators have always had different tones for cards and various presentation scenarios.

This new addition is a series of new issues with the LeapCard interface.

1.Driver Machine:Significantly increased lag between card production and Leap Screen appearing.
    2.This lag now increases even further if a coincidental validation takes place at the Remote Validator.
    2.Tone issue with Remote Validator.

AFAIAA,the caps,on BAC,will initially be Daily and Weekly only and not on a rolling basis.

While the issues may not be great or even noticeable to the individual LeapCard user,they assume far greater significance in the context of a Driver conducting several hundred transactions per shift.

ANY lengthening of the LeapCard process is bad news for the ITS concept.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I doubt there'll be a monthly cap? That'd be perfect.
    There are to be four adult caps, but I don't know if 'adult' includes student or other modes.

While the issues may not be great or even noticeable to the individual LeapCard user,they assume far greater significance in the context of a Driver conducting several hundred transactions per shift.

ANY lengthening of the LeapCard process is bad news for the ITS concept.

Drivers having issues with new practises isn't bad news for ITS it should be pretty much expected. Being part of the initial trial the level of knowledge/interest even after training and driver info pamphlets left alot to be desired.
    There are to be four adult caps, but I don't know if 'adult' includes student or other modes.

Would be great to see all single mode ramblers being automatically available through capping.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

I ended up running out of credit for the first time as every time I glanced at the screen I just kept seeing the 10k euro message - if you can't see your balance immediately at a glance it's pointless.

The entire Bus based LeapCard experience has really dropped a notch this week.

Activation time for a LeapCard presentation 8 seconds.....yes 8 SECONDS :eek: :eek: :eek:

As a driver,you can only hope that several Leppers (perhaps Lepers will more accurately describe LeapCard users should this remain ignored) will board together,as this will keep the machine in the LeapCard menu.

Any break for a cash-transaction immediately ensures the Ticket Machine has to do it's little pensive blonde moment thing all over again when a LeapCard is slapped up.

Perhaps,the NTA will arrange for two seperate queue's at each stop,one for LeapCard users,the other for cash-and BAC card users......knowing how these people think however,I'd be more confident of them installing LeapCard only Stops,complete with Chaise-Longue where Leap users can recline,sipping a glass of absynth, whilst waiting for the LeapMenu to arrive on screen.

8 SECONDS.....:mad:

How can this be described as progress ?

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭pclive

AlexSmart have you queried anyone in the NTA about this 8second delay?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Is it a case that the ticket machines are not fit for the work they are being asked of due to the low memory that has been talked about on here before?

If so that's quite a problem if nobody wants to pay to replace them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement